Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Can I put a 98 99 00 motor in my 97

Hi Ive got a 97 wrx with airbag stiring wheel,new dash etc.Can I put a newer motor in it if change the loom etc.98 99 00.I gess it can be done as the dash is the same.How far back will i have to change.Thanks

Have you had lots of experience with wiring? I'm not sure if you can swap the old engine loom onto the new engine (easiest method) as that would require all the sensors to still be in the same location with the same plugs. If you're planning on swapping the loom all the way back to the ECU, I'd recommend staying as far away from that option as possible unless you like pain and hurt as playing with the looms on these things is a highly frustrating job for the uninitiated.

You can't even do the other easy method which is swap the existing intake manifold onto the new engine as this is where they changed everything and made it so it no longer bolts up. Gearbox and clutch still bolt up (if the engine is an 8-bolt one then you use four of the bolt holes for the gearbox and one for the starter and leave the others).

I'd be researching whether the sensors/engine loom plugs can be swapped over otherwise you're better off sticking to a motor of the same era.

Sorry do we know each other.I can change the intake over.And I know you have a mate with a motor for sale.Ive looked localy and thay want drug money for a v3 or v4 motors.And im not a drug dealer so thats out the window.Ive done most jobs myself on my cars but there is more than one way to skin a cat,so if you dont ask you will never know.Ive seen cheep v5 v6s a round damaged at turners.So if it can be done ill like to try.My mate had his 98 hit in the rear and we jumped it into a 94 shell.Worked fine.Thanks for your input ...

w5r5x5 said:

Sorry do we know each other.

No. I'm trying to offer advice.

I don't have any input into how much he wants for his motor as that has nothing to do with me and if he can't offer a decent price then thats his loss.

I'm saying from the point of swapping intakes between a V3/4 era motor to a V5/6 era motor that it won't physically work. The manifolds are different where they bolt to the heads and need an adapter machined up to make it bolt up. Otherwise you're left with the option of making newer wiring fit on an earlier car.

V4 to V5 is right where Subaru changed everything to a newer generation so as I said, you need to research how much can actually be swapped between those model years as I'd guess about 2/3's of F all. But that is my guess and it doesn't seem like you know how much is different either. That is why I'm suggesting you should find out those differences before you end up buying a newer motor that is a big giant bastard to wire into your older model car.

So take it as advice rather than concocting preconceived notions about my intentions because I was trying to help you and save you causing an even bigger headache.

Hi. Ive found people know what the motor is worth so theres no deals to be had.And I was beind a bit of a princess So SORRY about that.I like to have a go a most things and know the best way is like for like.Ive never done heads before so rather try it out on a mates car first.That way he can take the hit in the pocket or blow up on them .LOL The up side if it works then ill know what to do.Well hope this helps make up for being a dick.Thank you Zowie

Ps I have to give props to to guys.Looking trow old posts and reading the feedback subclub has helped alot of people.Also it is free.Try ask down at local work shop and c what say".Drop it in a pay me $$$$$"Thats what made my mind up to join.Also when ive sold off a Sub to get anather car I always end up gatting a anather Sub.Like a ich or maybe a rash you cant get rid off.Me and my mates have lots of them.Gess that can be said about most of yous too.But have to say didnt know much about the 97 wrx motor.Thanks

realistically you can drop in a ver 1 - 4 motor . but going 1 - 2 is walking back wards as they have crappy lifter heads . . but if your block is what's gone bad . you can use a ver 1 to 7 short block and bolt your heads on with new head gaskets and head bolts and you'll be away

yeah what's that got to do with the block lol ? if your motor is non STI then get another ej20g . . if you plan on further mods in the future then you could go ej20k which has the STI forged pistons and better cams etc . .

WRXONP said:

realistically you can drop in a ver 1 - 4 motor . but going 1 - 2 is walking back wards as they have crappy lifter heads . . but if your block is what's gone bad . you can use a ver 1 to 7 short block and bolt your heads on with new head gaskets and head bolts and you'll be away

Unless its a v2 sti ra motor as those heads are rather nice ;)

Don't forget that some WRXs have 20K heads also - version 3 is the gift that keeps on giving.

Are the compression ratios the same across the board?

I do know that there are incompatibilities within the 20G shortblock; can't swap heads between Legacy and Impreza.

I'd rather swap in a whole, known-working motor or replace with new or PBMS bottom end. Either get reliability or get fresh IMO ;) Saves more money in the long run.