Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BP Legacy GT-B Spec - very hard suspension!

Hi Guys,

Just bought a BP Legacy GT B Spec with the 18'' wheels etc and it's great but the suspension is really hard!

It's all standard by the way not aftermarket suspension.

Is there anyway of getting the suspension a bit softer? I.e can the bilstein be revalved or something easily?

Don't want to go down to 17" wheels to help it cause really love the 18's!

Sorry just shows how old I'm getting!!

Dave

you can change the profile of the tires to a bigger one for more cushioning... what size are your tires? which could be more expensive but again u can sell the old tires to pay back for the new ones

If it has bridgestones that will be half the problem. I deal with this alot at work as the Bridgestones have very firm sidewalls. Go to a european tyre like Continental, Michelin, Pirelli or similer. This will defanatly help but at the end of the day it's a combination of suspention/wheel package as previously said.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mine must be revision A then late 2003.

I think I'll swap it eventually for revision b or standard gt suspension, the damping is just ridiculously hard!

Should be a comfortable car but unless you're on the smooth motorway, its just too hard.

On the plus side, it handles really nice, must hard decent swaybars and springs too.

Dave

DavidKemps said:

Mine must be revision A then late 2003.

I think I'll swap it eventually for revision b or standard gt suspension, the damping is just ridiculously hard!

Should be a comfortable car but unless you're on the smooth motorway, its just too hard.

On the plus side, it handles really nice, must hard decent swaybars and springs too.

Dave

yea i do know what you mean about the hard ride.. i took mine for a "spirited" ride the other night and was most impressed by the handling, more than enough handling for a family wagon :)

let us know what you end up doing and the result etc

I had a version 4 sti coupe and sedan, I think it's harder than those cars damping wise.

Could be me getting older as well!

it's the bilsteins in combination with the 18" tyres as well, the bridgestones are pretty hard apparently on the sidewalls, will change brands when tyres wear out.

It's more the fronts, the rears seem to be not too bad.

It's more that it should be a much more comfortable car than it is, not meant to be like an STI etc.

do you have a link of where it says rev a legacies harder suspension etc?

I wonder if the bilsteins can be revalved or easier just to swap them out?

randomly found this: from http://legacygt.com/forums/printthread.php?t=1766&pp=40

Latest information from Mr kazuhide Sato, Bilstein Japan

"Subaru set up two specification only with a different setting for

Bilstein OEM.

One is for 17 inch tyre and the other is for 18 inch tyre.

In Japan setting for 17 inch tyre seems to be more accepted to end

useres than that for 18 inch tyre because it is more comfort (less

sporty).

This is for your information. However it depends on your taste.

Best regards,

K. Sato

Thyssenkrupp Bilstein Suspension Gmbh

Japan Office

Tel 03-5472-5715

Fax 03-5472-5021"

According to him, the 1st Generation i.e.

"Front

20310AG140

20310AG150

Rear

20365AG120 "

is for 18" Spec B versions (tuned for 18" wheels)

2nd Generation i.e.

"Front

20310AG180

20310AG190

Rear

20365AG120 "

is designed to Legacy GT equipped with 17" wheels

Curious. I had a look this morning and ours is a BP5B, so I guess we might have a softer setup than the earlier models if the rumours are true - however the information above from Mr Bilstein makes things a little more ambiguous as ours is the 18" wheel GTB.

GC8E2DD said:

Curious. I had a look this morning and ours is a BP5B, so I guess we might have a softer setup than the earlier models if the rumours are true - however the information above from Mr Bilstein makes things a little more ambiguous as ours is the 18" wheel GTB.

so yours is a spec b?