Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BH5 GTB single conversion questions

Slidesector said:

I did the ST conversion with a link g4 ECU tuned and runnning 14 PSI at 199KW for under 4K.

IMO why buy the whole engine when you can make big number slapping it on and tuning it up?

personal preferance/circumstances, who ya know, what ya know, how resourseful you are etc etc, horses for courses?? you can attack/approach the conversion form a myriad of angles, money is always obviously a big factor...

My main reason for not doing the full EJ207 swap is cash. Purely and simply. The longengines over here just put it out of my ballpark.

Just been hit with notice from work that I've been overpaid by a chunk and they're claiming it back. So for now I'm going to get it running in standard V5/6 form and then do tubby/injectors/managment at a later date.

So, I've read the V5/6 WRX auto ran the same CR as the BH5 GTB? Did they run a VF28? I'll run that for a few months to make sure its right and then upgrage later.

I understand what people are saying about getting the newer models, etc or modding the TT. My issue is that I have a major boost problem that I cant get to the bottom of and have run out of patience with. Also with used car prices being what they are over here, I'd be lucky to get half of what I paid for it 18 months ago! And thats without thinking of the cash I've already spent on it with coileys, FMIC, wheels, etc. Just cant justify selling it. If I could I'd have an Aristo by now! ;D

Yup, downloaded that a while ago but had forgotten where from! I'll check it over nearer the time to make sure I've got the up to date version.

Just a couple of questions left for now, VF29 the right turbo for that ECU without a tune? And does the stock downpipe line up with our exhaust, or will I need a custom job? Sure I've read that the stock one lines up, but can't remember whether thats on the BG or the BH....

Cheers for the help so far!

Finallyaname said:

Yup, downloaded that a while ago but had forgotten where from! I'll check it over nearer the time to make sure I've got the up to date version.

Just a couple of questions left for now, VF29 the right turbo for that ECU without a tune? And does the stock downpipe line up with our exhaust, or will I need a custom job? Sure I've read that the stock one lines up, but can't remember whether thats on the BG or the BH....

Cheers for the help so far!

i run a vf22 on mine, car dosent get a hiding anyways coz the missus drives it, but it boosts fine on a conservative 12PSI.

Stock single turbo WRX down pipe lines up with BH exhaust but falls short about 2-3 inches short, so you just have to get a bit welded on, no biggy.

ODB']

Nice spotting :P Though I couldn't be farther from god if I tried. hurr hurr...

LOL but you have only done 1 conversion?

Gazzy2000 has done two...so he would be the Godfather????

I've actually done 4, and helped share the knowledge with countless others (I.e gazzy, I spent many nights on the phone with him, helping him out, like any genuine good c*nt would), but whatever... So do you want to poke fun at me for simply helping people out on here, or do you want to go back and do some real work trolling people who actually deserve a smack?

Reuben - Good info on the RevD mani though, I didnt know that! But theres so few over here theres virtually no chance of getting one.

Did I mention I have one sitting in my garage not getting used. It also so happens to come with fuel rails, and pink injectors... I've also sent countless car parts overseas - used to be a vendor on some US sites spreading the JDM love around the world.

[quote name='Finallyaname said:

If I do go down the route of running standard V5/6 parts and getting it running, am I right in presuming I just need to get

- VF28(?) as a standard fit turbo, plus oil & coolant lines,

- V5/6 intake mani (Complete),

- any non twinscroll single turbo exhaust mani & up-pipe,

- downpipe

- V5/6WRX auto ECU

- solenoid bracket (To get rid of BBoD)

- Pressure select solenoid

- custom hotpipe off turbo to existing FMIC pipework

Anything I've missed? And the V5/6 ran 440cc Yellows, so I can just drop mine in if the intake mani doesnt come with them?

Then once its running just need VF48, fuel rail & pinks and then Simtek management. Right?

What turbo you run is entirely irrelevant, get whatever you want in that department. I run a VF39 (2005 2.5L Single scroll STi turbo) on my we V3 STi ECU and motor.

And yes, essentially V5/6 STi parts - EXCEPT ECU.

You need a WRX or Fozzy ECU as you pointed out, as the BH engines are higher compression than the STi's. I was actually about to start researching the CR's of the 98-00 era turbo's, but i still haven't got round to it. I have the CR's for all the BH models though. But I may very well be doing another conversion soon to an Auto BE, so I need to know what single turbs have 9:1.

Thankfully all 98-00 turbo's run the same AFM's and yellow injectors, so anything goes with the ECU's so long as you match compression ratios.

Oh, and the aforementioned BH CR's

BH5A, EJ206 9.0, EJ208 8.5

BH5B, EJ206 9.0, EJ208 8.5

BH5C, EJ206 9.0, EJ208 9.0

BH5D, EJ206 9.0, EJ208 9.0

Finally, regarding simply abandoning gen 3's and buying a gen 4... Not everyone wants plastic intake manifolds, plastic intercoolers, throttle by wire, and boring ol twin scroll. It's simply a case of different folks, different strokes. And I'm here to help those who don't take such a defeatist attitude towards improving their 'old' cars.

ReubenH']

[quote name='ReubenH said:

Nice spotting :P Though I couldn't be farther from god if I tried. hurr hurr...

/quote]

LOL but you have only done 1 conversion?

Gazzy2000 has done two...so he would be the Godfather????

I've actually done 4, and helped share the knowledge with countless others (I.e gazzy, I spent many nights on the phone with him, helping him out, like any genuine good c*nt would), but whatever... So do you want to poke fun at me for simply helping people out on here, or do you want to go back and do some real work trolling people who actually deserve a smack?

No poking fun for helping out.

But as you may have noticed i am an irreverant and down to earth bastid and when someone styles themselves as "The Godfather" of anything id most likely have a light hearted crack just for trollolols and shits and giggs.

Dont get too wound up over it dude.

Its not especially serial.

ODB said:

No poking fun for helping out.

But as you may have noticed i am an irreverant and down to earth bastid and when someone styles themselves as "The Godfather" of anything id most likely have a light hearted crack just for trollolols and s***s and giggs.

Dont get too wound up over it dude.

Its not especially serial.

I find it hard to believe that anyone would think your serious while you are trolling :D

I do love that comment of being a irreverent and bastid for trollols ;D

gazzy2000 said:

IIRC dam near one of the first single turbo conversions was done by a member called todagt (Ewan) on a BG, well before my time.. more like the early 2003's??

I guess he simply didnt crap on about it like the rest of us at how clever we are... lol

Ewan thinks he would be among the first to find the link/similarities between the wiring of Bg Legacy, v3/4 WRX and fozzys allowing him to utilize the factory ECU in the conversion.

And says it was around 2005 and that fastfour did his not long after