Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BH5 GTB single conversion questions

Hi all!

I'm a newb from the UK so go easy.....

As an introduction, a pic!

790af747.jpg

I've got a BH5 GTB with the standard EJ208 and am looking at going single tubby. This seems to be the place to be for info! I've read Reubens BG thread and a few others, but still have some questions.

Some things I do know - I'm looking at running VF34/35/48 or TD05 18g. Aftermarket CNC machined parallel fuel rails and STi pinks. Looking at SimTek for management, but need to speak to the mapper to check that side of it out.

Questions -

The main one I have at the moment is about inlet manifolds - I know the v5 is the Imp equivalent, but with going for the SimTek, does it matter what version I run? Are any better than others for using with the EJ208 block?

Also down pipes, do Classic downpipes mate up to our exhaust or do I need custom ones? I'm keeping my Blitz FMIC so I need a custom pipe knocking up from the Turbo so if I need a custom downpipe it shouldnt be too bad, I'm just looking at keeping costs down a bit.

Think thats all for now, if anything else springs to mind I'll shout up!

welcome :) good to see some more abroad members.

and nice wagon!

dont know about the uk but over here there a multiple versions of intakes that will bolt up and work.

where it gets tricky is that almost each manifold has different mounting positions for the fuel rails ...... so getting top feed rail conversion is a bit harder.

its my opinion that intakes wont make alot of difference power wise so go with what you like . eg : coil pack mount like the v3 or no coil pack mount like the cars running coil on plug system.

Cheers folks! There's a company over here that's doing the rails, so I'll find out what versions they're doing them for. I know they do a spec c rail, and I can get a complete intake mani off an s202, which I believe was based on the spec c? Hopefully that should work!

you can use a V7/8 manifold and use top feeds that way, looks good to. if you use a plugin type engine management you will probable want to retain the bh/v5/6 throttle body, this is easy to do and only needs a plate made up which is easy as.

Reason for this is fitting top feed injectors and or making fitting a large topmount easier.

Problem, the ISCV placement is wrong and the throttle cable part hits the manifold.

74464_450194052197_507372197_5551034_550

74122_450193812197_507372197_5551026_209

73129_450193832197_507372197_5551027_181

Solution, a spacer plate, I made this out of 3mm alloy

73927_450193912197_507372197_5551029_578

36084_450193977197_507372197_5551031_457

73662_450194002197_507372197_5551032_695

All done,

And a pic to show it all together, i used wrinkle black on my manifold

184349_10150103886657198_507372197_65232

Hi Finally a Name from England.

If you want to run pinks, simply pick up a BH5D intake manifold. It's more or less compatible with a lot of the V5/6 parts, and will bolt right onto your block, but it comes factory with pink injectors. I actually have a set for sale if you're keen. As well as a rev d manifold.

You will need custom management, because no ECU that plugs into your loom can drive pinks.

I'd recomend you just do a straight conversion, and get the car running as a single, make that phase 1 of your project.

Then phase 2 chuck in the rev-d manifold and pinks and ECU, and go from there.

Do it like that and you can save yourself a whole mess of potential problems. There was a guy I was through a conversion a couple months ago, but the twat had gone and done so many other mods at the same time, it became virtually impossible to track down why it wasn't starting. I actually just gave up in the end and told him to go 100% factory V5/6 STi, and just get it running - after that point, you can treat the car as a V6 sti, and go from there.

I slapped on a Vf22, 38mm waistgate and manifold.

- already had front mount

Ran good as, but when you laboured the engine the engine check light came on and it threw up the TT error code.

Then put a link G4 in and tuned. Runs mint and did for 30000 Kms unitl wanted more power (hence v7 engine)

In my option just bolt it up, get a tune and your away.

I have no idea how much halfcuts are over there, but IMO, just doing a full swap with an sti ej207 long block would be the most straight forward. Plus your options with tuning and performance are easier and you can potentially make bigger gains. The BH/BE internals are really only safe below 200kw at the wheels, but with an sti block you can safely go much higher.

Hmm, some good info and food for thought!

I had thought about dropping in an EJ207, and this would probably be the easiest option, but funds just wont stretch to it atm. Longblocks alone can go for £1,000 - £1,500 GBP, which is around $1,500 - $2,300 AUD. Then I still need to get the turbo, etc.

Reuben - I had originally planned to do just that, but I'm struggling to justify getting another turbo and all the associated extra work. Good info on the RevD mani though, I didnt know that! But theres so few over here theres virtually no chance of getting one.

If I do go down the route of running standard V5/6 parts and getting it running, am I right in presuming I just need to get

- VF28(?) as a standard fit turbo, plus oil & coolant lines,

- V5/6 intake mani (Complete),

- any non twinscroll single turbo exhaust mani & up-pipe,

- downpipe

- V5/6WRX auto ECU

- solenoid bracket (To get rid of BBoD)

- Pressure select solenoid

- custom hotpipe off turbo to existing FMIC pipework

Anything I've missed? And the V5/6 ran 440cc Yellows, so I can just drop mine in if the intake mani doesnt come with them?

Then once its running just need VF48, fuel rail & pinks and then Simtek management. Right?

any single turbo turbo i.e. vf22,23,24,28,29,30 tdo5, yo can use, you already have yellow injectors, you also need the gearbox X member, coolant lines off a single turbo block

oh and OBD, I have also done 3 single conversions,

GT Legacy i think has done a couple

as mentioned Gotasuby has done a few e.t.c

Yea I remember that too...

Personally I cant be arsed having done the TT to Single.

Have done the below on my BH5, no problems or issues, the spool is more consistent and the VOD is far less pronounced... boost drops from 10.6Psi to 9.5Psi.

More importantly the spool from get go is markably changed in behaviour. It comes on boost earlier and harder than before (i.e. same as a Rev d BH5)

Have a read of the below, try it then think about the cost of conversion (this Mod cost nothing to do BTW):

http://www.uklegacy.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7815&st=0

reckon if i was ganna do a BH TT to ST again i would have a complete v5/6 donor car, to get the right comp ratio engine, tranny n diffs with with the right STI gearing etc etc

failing that i wudnt bother doing a BH personally, as mattapo, myself and others have found the tall BH gearing and extra weight robs the BH from any real STI wow factor (if that is what you are looking for... but of course at the end of the day any ST is always better than TT :))

Thats my fiddy!

gazzy2000 said:

reckon if i was ganna do a BH TT to ST again i would have a complete v5/6 donor car, to get the right comp ratio engine, tranny n diffs with with the right STI gearing etc etc

Thats my fiddy!

Getting up there in $$$$ then though.

Love the BH shape and prefer single turbo obviously but a factory newer model appeals more!

ODB']

[quote name='gazzy2000 said:

Thats my fiddy!

/quote]

Getting up there in $$$$ then though.

zactly! :) unless you score a blown BH and a written off V5/6 (if youre that keen)