Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

LVVTA

Ninja8)

Hey all!! Im about to start getting the car ready for a cert. Ive just got a quick question.

Does the certifier basically do a WOF check on the car so basically everything listed here:

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/virm-in-service-certification/virm-in-service-certification.html

Oh and this is for a car that was factory NA and been turbocharged.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ninja 8) said:

Hey all!! Im about to start getting the car ready for a cert. Ive just got a quick question.

Does the certifier basically do a WOF check on the car so basically everything listed here:

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/virm-in-service-certification/virm-in-service-certification.html

They Check everything like a VTNZ WOF I woudl say even more strickt.

I failed on 17 things, from tints to dark to 2mm movement in ajustable top hat also failed on front bumber support being trimmed. Definalely a feat to get certed, He let me off 1DB of exhast noise.. Little did he know that I had a Pink Bat rammed up the exhast and the silencer in with the car barely running...

• Admin

It's not really like a WoF, if you've sent it in to get a cert for adjusties they don't give a sh!t if there's rust in your doors, that's for the WoF man to look at.

Check this out:

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/suplementary_information/LVVTA_LVV_Cert_Threshold.pdf

It has simple, concise information about what needs a cert and what doesn't. Make sure you keep up a good dialogue with your cert guy, so they know what you want on the cert plate. If you ask nicely they can cert some things fairly broadly which gives you room to modify things slightly in the future without needing it re-certed.

I'm currently working through whether I need to re-cert my car, which will be a bit of a pain but if you're doing things by the book that's how it's gotta be.

Also remember that if you've modified the suspension it will be certed at that height and you can't change it more than +/- 5% so make sure it's in the middle of the height range you want before you get it done. You can be pink stickered for being outside that range, and yes, some cops will get the tape measure out at the side of the road and check!

boon said:

It's not really like a WoF, if you've sent it in to get a cert for adjusties they don't give a sh!t if there's rust in your doors, that's for the WoF man to look at.

Check this out:

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/suplementary_information/LVVTA_LVV_Cert_Threshold.pdf

It has simple, concise information about what needs a cert and what doesn't. Make sure you keep up a good dialogue with your cert guy, so they know what you want on the cert plate. If you ask nicely they can cert some things fairly broadly which gives you room to modify things slightly in the future without needing it re-certed.

I'm currently working through whether I need to re-cert my car, which will be a bit of a pain but if you're doing things by the book that's how it's gotta be.

Also remember that if you've modified the suspension it will be certed at that height and you can't change it more than +/- 5% so make sure it's in the middle of the height range you want before you get it done. You can be pink stickered for being outside that range, and yes, some cops will get the tape measure out at the side of the road and check!

Its stricter than a WOF.

They check every single thing.

Well that is every Cert guy in Hamilton area. Some are worse. Tokearoa has a dodgey one but I think he may have shut down fro the 18th time hahah

I can photobucket my cert sheet if you want. Failed on things like sub box not being bolted down ETC, normally VTNZ wouldnt even give a sht about that.

And Yes SLAM it so you can put it low enough to grind the ground within your 5% =)

JoKer said:

loose object can be a wof fail

is kinda common sense to secure it anyway

Only if it's 'part' of the vehicle though. My wof guy was musing on how silly it is that you can have a couple crates of beer flying around the boot but if the spare wheel isn't completely bolted down then OHNOES!

MercuryFree']

Only if it's 'part' of the vehicle though. My wof guy was musing on how silly it is that you can have a couple crates of beer flying around the boot but if the spare wheel isn't completely bolted down then OHNOES!

nope loose objects in boot area is a WOF fail so a cert guy can pull you up on it :)

[quote name='Ninja 8) said:

url=http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/virm-in-service-certification/virm-in-service-certification.html]http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/virm-in-service-certification/virm-in-service-certification.html[/url]

I failed on 17 things, from tints to dark to 2mm movement in ajustable top hat also failed on front bumber support being trimmed. Definalely a feat to get certed, He let me off 1DB of exhast noise.. Little did he know that I had a Pink Bat rammed up the exhast and the silencer in with the car barely running...

So your car is illegal then

I got my car certed in tokoroa by the guy whose been supposedly shut down 10 times in the last 2 years.... i think the rumor mill is great.

he checked everything on my car, and really checked anything that i told him had been modified\changed and he questioned me on a few other things that he thought looked like they had been played with recently. i wouldn't have called him dodgy, just not a cock like a lot of the certifiers seem to be, little things like noting the wrx seats as race seats so i could change seats if i wanted (which i did want to at the time) and noting the tyre size as the size i was buying not the size i had on the car (next width up and lower profile). he noted EVERYTHING on the cert sheet so when i get pulled up i can pull it out and show everything has been certed not just the stuff on the plate ie changed intercooler, bov, bonnet scoop, front lip etc

DRFVDR']

nope loose objects in boot area is a WOF fail so a cert guy can pull you up on it :)

[quote name='Ninja 8) said:

url=http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/virm-in-service-certification/virm-in-service-certification.html]http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/virm-in-service-certification/virm-in-service-certification.html[/url]

So your car is illegal then

So how else do you get a Race exhast to be 93DB????

It was like 120 with silencer.

The word illlegal is to widely used, noise is noise, I would rather have noise and power.

Even with a quiet exhast thats not going to stop antilag throwing a flame out.

• General Member
 Slidesector']

[quote name='JoKer said:

/quote]

They didnt move an inch at a 7K limit launch down Meremere there aint no way a corner gunna move it LOL let alone the sheer force it would take to slide a 55KG box backwards

try stopping with the same force x 100

I knew the cants were strict but a subbox thats not secured sounds a bit too harsh to me lol. At least i wont be having problems like that as i aint even got rear seats :o;)

at the top of my head the only "body modification" that was done was angle grinding 1 a/c condensor mount to squeeze in I/C pipe so hopefully they wont give me grief for it. So now to get the boss to do a VERY STRICT wof check on the car and start replacing bushes and tyres and whatever else!!!!

NOW the boss reckons i should get rims before getting a cert...what do you guys reckon?

DRFVDR said:

Yes have everything done that needs to be done, then get cert, THEN all is covered and no disappointments

exactly what i planned to do but never knew you could get rims on a cert plate.. What about say camber arms and sway bars and nolathane bushes etc?? should i include that in the "have everything done" ??

Ninja 8)']

[quote name='DRFVDR said:

Yes b]have everything done [/b] that needs to be done, then get cert, THEN all is covered and no disappointments

exactly what i planned to do but never knew you could get rims on a cert plate.. What about say camber arms and sway bars and nolathane bushes etc?? should i include that in the "have everything done" ??

Yes you must have rims certed. camber arms certed etc etc or - Pinky ;)

They note wheel size and tyre size on the cert plate weather standard or not, i'm only running legacy 17" wheels and they are noted on the wheel size part of the cert, which is on the plate. Change wheel size and your cert is useless, hence why i got my tyre size changed on my cert to make sure it stayed legal

• Admin
 Ninja 8)']

[quote name='DRFVDR said:

Yes b]have everything done [/b] that needs to be done, then get cert, THEN all is covered and no disappointments

Rims, yes. Although I think rolling diameter and ride height are more important. Camber arms, definitely. Sway bars, no, if they use normal mounts. Bushes, no.