Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Performance mods for a 2001 GTB Twin Turbo?

webup

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you start modifying it, start saving for a rebuild or engine transplant at least.

But, if you must, a 2.5inch turbo back exhasut will be a good start. You can get second hand computers on Trademe from time to time. Mines and Prova seem to be the main ones. I had a Mines and it was rather good.

The 01 legacy is the legacy :P

Nah, you'll want either a GT or GTB for the wagon, or B4 (?) or B4 RSK for the sedan. They are commonly refered to by their chassis code, so that's BH for the wagon, BE for the sedan, or simply "Gen 3's" to refer to either. FYI, gen 3 was between late 98 and early 03, there was a face lift somewhere along the line.

As for performance, yeah there's a few things you can get - but i don't know much about the Gen 3's. I'd suggest hanging around and reading up on the forums for a while, to get a feel for what people are doing to their cars. If you don't understand something, don't hesitate to ask, we like to help.

there was one on trademe a while ago a mines one for $400 and one on there the other day for $70 reserve met. I cant comment on gains personally though. I have a prova ecu in mine and it seems to be alright nothing fantastic to me at the moment but ive only been for one slow mellow drive since putting it in

I would recommend start with the front pipe. This will make the turbo spool up much faster. What i've also done on my car is replaced the two little intake pipe between the two turbos and the intercooler. Made a difference. Samco makes bolt on replacement ones.

sunnylong said:

I would recommend start with the front pipe. This will make the turbo spool up much faster. What i've also done on my car is replaced the two little intake pipe between the two turbos and the intercooler. Made a difference. Samco makes bolt on replacement ones.

When you do those mods, keep using the factory filter and airbox...

New AFM's cost an arm and leg and poddies chew this models like no tomorrow...

subieboy']

[quote name='sunnylong said:

/quote]

Yes mate... thanks for that... it's already my second AFM no the car... :-[

Winger Subaru Greenlane told me it's the K&N oil based airfilter broke the first one... so I'm now using factory air intake box with a Apexi panel filter. :)

Hi,

Well this might be controversial but the best mod I ever did was converting the sequetial turbo setup to a parallel setup. I have had it so for a year now and no other mod comes close - when you consider the small investment necessary. I have no turbo lag, no VOD, more power at all revs. I mean I now have two turbos going instead of 1, that's double the turbo effect. And stress on each turbo is lessened by them both sharing the load. I measure fuel consumption on every tank and it did not increase with this mod. So sure, you can do lots of things which will increase power much more, but for ease of install and bang for your bucks, I am interested in hearing the other suggestions that may come up in this thread. Good luck in your quest.

richm said:

Hi,

Well this might be controversial but the best mod I ever did was converting the sequetial turbo setup to a parallel setup. I have had it so for a year now and no other mod comes close - when you consider the small investment necessary. I have no turbo lag, no VOD, more power at all revs. I mean I now have two turbos going instead of 1, that's double the turbo effect. And stress on each turbo is lessened by them both sharing the load. I measure fuel consumption on every tank and it did not increase with this mod. So sure, you can do lots of things which will increase power much more, but for ease of install and bang for your bucks, I am interested in hearing the other suggestions that may come up in this thread. Good luck in your quest.

where did you get it done? any how much did it cost? :)

its only controversial coz so many people push single turbo.

i had mine running parrallel ran well, wont change it back or to single.

-smurff

smurff said:

its only controversial coz so many people push single turbo.

i had mine running parrallel ran well, wont change it back or to single.

-smurff

Hmm...???

I am looking forward to seeing your beast when its running again though ;D

well if you read some of the posts to twin turbo problems or people asking for mods to twins... people are always pushing for single, damn wrx people :P and ruben :P :P

ive got to get off my ass and do some stuff to mine, just hate the weather :(

-smurff

I know, some of us do like twins ;)

For OP if you don't want to go parallel there is always the option of a sequential controller I haven't got it myself but I hear good things, some of the guys here have used it

sunnylong said:

Where did you get the Samco pipes from? Im interested in getting some myself.

MYGTB']

/quote]

+1 ;D

MYGTB']

/quote]

I bought them from Alert Motor sport Mt Wellington Auckland.

here is their website

http://www.alertmotorsport.com/Product/Subaru+Samco/1637

Part number TB-808 and TB-809. :) Hope it helps mate!

sunnylong']

/quote]

I bought them from Alert Motor sport Mt Wellington Auckland.

here is their website

http://www.alertmotorsport.com/Product/Subaru+Samco/1637

Part number TB-808 and TB-809. :) Hope it helps mate!

Thanks for that mate, but damn $220 is alot of money aye! Do you have the dimensions for each pipe? Might be cheaper to find the same sized hoses on trademe aye.

sunnylong']

/quote]

Yes mate... thanks for that... it's already my second AFM no the car... :-[

Winger Subaru Greenlane told me it's the K&N oil based airfilter broke the first one... so I'm now using factory air intake box with a Apexi panel filter. :)

Yep, its a combination of the oil and vibration that kills them off.

I think somewhere on here there is a thread that links to a test that was done by Autospeed (I think) on the effectiveness of filters (incl. factory, aftermarket et al) It found factory paper filters to be best...

The Sequential controller does wonders for the VOD...

subieboy said:

its awesome if you shift gear into the vod zone it gets outta there way faster and you dont really feel it whilst accelerating anymore Id highly recommend one of these if you hate the vod

rsb_leggy']

[quote name='subieboy said:

/quote]

its awesome if you shift gear into the vod zone it gets outta there way faster and you dont really feel it whilst accelerating anymore Id highly recommend one of these if you hate the vod

What does everyone have their Sq. controller's set as? I haven't really played around with mine so I just have it on the recommended street setting.