Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Turbo beyond VF22

Johnnynz

• General Member

Is there anything beyond a VF22 that will fit in stock position on a GC8 and make better (or more usable) power?

I understand VF30 requires new headers and sump, is that right?

Is there anything I could do turbo changing wise to get more out of Yellows, Link G4 and full exhaust.

Or do I hit a wall without more fuel and maybe twisting turbo?

- Edit - Should mention its a 2l, fully forged internals. Handling the boost shouldn't be an issue. I'm currently aiming for anything 200KW plus with VF22, Yellows, FMIC, full 2.5 inch Turbo back and Link G4 tune.

Johnnynz said:

Is there anything beyond a VF22 that will fit in stock position on a GC8 and make better (or more usable) power?

Is there anything I could do turbo changing wise to get more out of Yellows, Link G4 and full exhaust.

- Edit - Should mention its a 2l, fully forged internals. Handling the boost shouldn't be an issue. I'm currently aiming for anything 200KW plus with VF22, Yellows, FMIC, full 2.5 inch Turbo back and Link G4 tune.

VF22 will run over 200kw anyday with the support mods. i got 215kw in my RA but my injector ran out.

as for the VF30 you dont need new sump or headers, its the vf36/37 that needs it

IMO the VF30 is a downgrade to the VF22, its got lower cfm and alway has cracked P18 exhaust housing . the VF22 uses P20

there are bigger bolt in turbo to replace the vf22... such as a TD05 20G

• General Member
 X']

[quote name='Johnnynz said:

/quote]

VF22 will run over 200kw anyday with the support mods. i got 215kw in my RA but my injector ran out.

Yeah I figured with the VF22 I'm safe for 200 KW+ with my supporting mods. Just had a good chat with Subout Via PM and I think perhaps I have myself sorted for now.

Might just take what I can with the 22, get it actually going then look into something else.

That combo u got will give 200kw on a reasonably healthy engine

I'm running 210kw with same combo just retuned stock Ecu and keeping injector duty cycle abt 85% max

Currently in process of td06/20g install

On initial run it's almost same response as vf22 and has bit more go

Running 7psi for now as I do the retune and slowly get more out o it

But certainly very good upgrade as it fits in stock location and just need to get bigger banjo bolts pretty much ay man

Johnnynz said:

i got 223rwkw with the same setup but only a V7 shortblock and a walbro, 220kw should be easy if you added a walbro

Johnnynz said:

I have 238kw with the same setup you have. Just stick with it. Well I decapped the yellows, but that was it.

How big is your front mount? i noticed a big difference when i upgraded my 450/300/76 to a 600/350/100 cooler on my old BF. Was running a chinese 20g after a 22 with old possum link 20g was good while it lasted and did notice big top end gains compared to the 22 and lag was much and much the same.. but did miss the turbo ball bearing sound thou. A 20g would be a perfect bolt on turbo for power gains above 200kw mark without twisting etc. Add split rails and yellow top 550cc injectors

If i where you I'd get a genuine TD05h and rebuild it with 20g wheel and comp housing. would probably cost you less than 500 if you shop around

caspros said:

I have 238kw with the same setup you have. Just stick with it. Well I decapped the yellows, but that was it.

Agreed. Don't bother changing. up the fueling a bit - walbro (and wiring relay) and decapping your injectors would cost less than $400 and pull in an extra 20-30kw on your setup

Id be interested in seeing Ricks 2871 (on the .63 housing) at around 240wkw, against a 235-40wkw on a vf22, plots of torque and boost would be an intersesting comparison.

Note they both sit in factory location. Note also the 2871 will cost you a fair sum to pruchase brand new, but then its brand new.

• General Member

Forgot to mention I also have a Walbro currently. Turbo is about 45,000 KM old.

Plan for now is just to tune with what I have, might upgrade injectors or decap what I have and then I have my eye on a Scoobyclinic Turbo through Subout as a future plan once this setup is running.

Turbo Subout suggested to me was an SC40. Going to spend some time researching these options while I complete what I have going in currently.

• General Member

I think you are correct, Havent done my homework on it to much yet But it uses Garret cores and is a 20g.

Going to do my research when I get to my hotel tonight.

Scoobyclinic Turbo thread below has the info I think.

http://bbs.scoobynet.com/trader-announcements-363/799025-scoobyclinics-turbos-just-got-billet-i-mean-better.html

funkytown said:

Id be interested in seeing Ricks 2871 (on the .63 housing) at around 240wkw, against a 235-40wkw on a vf22, plots of torque and boost would be an intersesting comparison.

Note they both sit in factory location. Note also the 2871 will cost you a fair sum to pruchase brand new, but then its brand new.

Heyyy, really ?? There's a bigger turbo that fits in a factory position ?? I didn't know that. My plot is on here somewhere, can some one magic up a comparison ?

caspros']

[quote name='funkytown said:

/quote]

Heyyy, really ?? There's a bigger turbo that fits in a factory position ?? I didn't know that. My plot is on here somewhere, can some one magic up a comparison ?

yes a few alright, qwerty, BT, and fastfour all run or ran factory location Garrett core turbos :) all punching in the 260-80kw range

fwiw il also spell it out. They come in twin and single scroll variants for factory location. :)

• Admin

The new Garrett core factory location turbos make me wonder if I should flick my VF34 to someone on here and up-spec... although I do really like the way it drives.

Actually, there's a turbo that's probably better than a VF22 - VF34 :)

My mate is running a steve murch modified turbo. Vf36 with p20 housing and a evo big 16g compressor. v7 sti with headers fmic and silicone intake. was limited by injectors at 238kw atw.

That was a safe tune by Speedtech

Still more left in it but ge didnt want to push factory bottom end any further.

I run the vf22 on mine for ages. Quite a good turb. Mates vf30 would get me off the line but obviously the vf22 kept pulling.

Was supported by forgies, fmic and 50mm wastegate but then upgraded to a MSE td05/td06 with a 22g.

I couldnt get the best out of that turbo because of the fuelling. I shuld have decapped the yellows and run a parallel setup.

When I sold it the new owner got it tuned but must have wound the boost up as he melted third a couple weeks after the tune.

It was on a custom twist setup.