Gt30/82r .63 ar

tez n u

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tez n u']

[quote name='funkytown said:

Comparably 296wkw @ 25psi. full boost around 4500.

thats on a 3071r

/quote]

I guess a gt30/40 will be a lot laggier? Its got a .63 ar exhaust housing so thought would atleast hit full boost by 5000rpm??

3040 is just a 3082 right? personally i dont think the 3040 is very balanced in wheel size, much like the 2876,on subbies they appear to yeild ineffecient results in my opinion. the 3040 on a 2l seems to lag badly and not provide the same top end a slightler smaller turbo will.

Mine goes to 29-30psi. a 3040 if you had capacity to spin it up might do 30+psi but im guessing here. my 29-30 seems to be limited by the exhaust housing, might crack a touch more than 30 on the 0.82 but id suspect you'd be in rather ineffecient parts of the compressor map then as well. You also need real head work beyond 25psi to make use of it.

A 3071 or 3076 seems to be the sweet spot on 2l's imo.

but as always YMMV. Im only talking about s*** ive ACTUALLY used, or personally seen tested.

Like its been said more capacity and / or AVCS would make this beast insane. Im thinking like a 2.2l stroker with AVCS heads and a 264/272 cam.

tez n u said:

So in general it will be pretty much like putting a gt35r on a 2.0 without much head work? Or would this be slightly better then a gt35r?

sounds like you need to do some research on understanding Garret turbo size / models.

for genuine gt28xx, gt30xx, gt35xx, etc tell you the frame size and turbine wheel size. larger number = bigger turbine simply put.

gtxx62, gt xx, 71, gtxx76, gtxx82 etc tell you the compressor wheel size, simply the exducer side in mm, ie. gt3071 = compressor exducer measurement is 71mm.

to add confusion the old numbering scheme included a gt3040 and gt3540 which dont adhere to the rule above, but simply the gtxx40 were 82mm compressor exducers. they are simply the old models.

SOOOO

that all said you can work out a gt3040(82) is going to have a smaller frame and turbine side compared with a gt3540(82). And the comressor side is going to be the same size. It should be better you would expect but this is where my comment about unbalanced turbine / compressor wheels come into play. Its my opinion that a 3082 has a to larger compressor for the turbine size, as does in my opinion the gt2876 and a few of the combinations you can get. a 35xx frame / turbine i find is more balanced to the 82 compressor side but you would likely find this real real laggy on a 2.0l motor. Its simply all round to big for our ej20's. I have seen results of some used though and they made big numbers - purpose and support mods play a part in choosing it though.

If you compare a gt3071 to a gt2876 you can see the turbine and frame is larger, and the compressor is smaller, ie 76mm > 71mm. In my opinion more balanced. Im sure Steve could give you technical information on what happens when the wheels are unbalanced in size. (i dont mean rotational balance either).

There are set combinations that garrett make of the front and rear halves so have a look on their website for options. My comments above obviously apply to subbies as i have no experience testing combinations on other motors at all. (a quick aside, its generally accepted a gt3540 goes really well on the evo 4G63 (2.0) motor but poor on a subbie... generally).

At the rate im going i think i wouldnt be surprised if i end up with a car making over 300kw in the end.......by reading your comments i take it that a gt30/40 will have surge issues since the compressor wheel is too big for the turbine side??

the gtx's are $$$$ though! definately on the leading edge of where shits at though thats for sure.

Always interested me to see what would happen if you slapped a gt3076 or gt3082 with a larger 0.82 housing on a 2.5, and how that would perform in relation to a gt3582..

Same applies for the GTX range. I've not seen must testing when it comes to rear housings on subbies

the only flash about the GTX is the comp wheel everything else is the same, i up grade a twin scroll HKS for a 2.5 which in stock form wouldnt push more than 270kw replaced the core with only 2mm bigger at each end and just touched 320kw that wasnt a cheap exercise

Ill have to relocated the coolant reservoir tank to get the gt30 to sit properly with a good intake, just wondering if its alright to run the water return line off the turbo under the inlet manifold to the reservoir since it will be mounted on drivers side near the head light area??