Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Howmuch PSI can a tdo4l handle safely?

tydon

lol gotta remember the efficiency range and the cfm..

no point just upping the boost out of its optimum 'psi' as it will just decrease turbo life and pump less- if not hot air out. etc

somewhere on the web it has a graph of the turbos and their cfm vs turbine rpm vs psi (or something along those lines) it was saved on my old laptop before it sh*t itself.. might still be out there.

from memory it had a lot more garret stuff

just found this:

- most tdo4l's are out of their efficiency range at that kind of boost pressure.

Diminishing returns kick in at about 18-19psi (1.2bar).

you just put lots of stress on the engine and not gain allot of extra power for every psi increase over that.

so most likely will just ending up increasing engine bay temps, i/c wouldnt keep up, car probably start detonating and yeah.. nothing good.. lol..

remember touching one thing doesnt just affect one thing.. its like a chain reaction, until it finds the weakest link, pin, spring, valve, etc

funkytown said:

Why? 16psi will net less power than 12-14 id put momey on it

Because its more boost.

More boost = more power. DUH!!!!!!

Like most that come here having decided what they would "like" to do. They will take the one answer that says they can over the 10 advising against it.

well ive got a v3 sti engine complete that im using with yellow injectors ornage afm and a sti ecu to match i just dont have the sti turbo atm.. and want to run something that will go 'hard' for a couple of weeks lol.. till i get a much bigger turbo. and was thinking 16-18 would be fun if i could get the power out of it?

Swindog said:

just get a vf22 or a 29.

you wont complain then you can run 18 psi.

thats defintely the plan. i just have a tdo4l here that is off no use to me so mite aswell have the car running while i save for a vf

reaperblitz said:

run it on standard boost or sell it. no point taking a chance and rooting your engine over something that could possibly fail

true well thanks im not gone be ridiculous and wind the boost up on it incase i do break something lol i think 12 should be enough. cheers all

On a v7 Wrx the td04l started dropping power after 15.5-16

Based on run logs

I wud say that was also partly due to tune but wud recomend say around 15 max

It does come on rather fast so still will be fun just don't rev all the way to redline and change early say 5.5k or so for maximum fun from it

pappu said:

On a v7 Wrx the td04l started dropping power after 15.5-16

Based on run logs

I wud say that was also partly due to tune but wud recomend say around 15 max

It does come on rather fast so still will be fun just don't rev all the way to redline and change early say 5.5k or so for maximum fun from it

haha sweet thanks man :)

vorigan said:

how long is piece of string

twice as long as half its length

if your still using your factory ECU and injectors I wouldn't put much extra in at all, if its going into a car that used to be twin turbo I'd get it spun up on the dyno to make sure the fueling is ok and its not knocking, that way you'll be able to run it at its maximum and still know its safe

ill translate..........................boost means nothing

there is soooooo many contributing factors to what PR can be run thus i never say " yea bro 20psi is the s***z"

if you want a set power output thats the number your interested in the rest is bragging rights to how small your whanger is.

vorigan said:

ill translate..........................boost means nothing

there is soooooo many contributing factors to what PR can be run thus i never say " yea bro 20psi is the s***z"

if you want a set power output thats the number your interested in the rest is bragging rights to how small your whanger is.

for a start i never said i was gunna run 20Psi lmao and my question was howmuch a tdo4l could handle safely.. im not using a twin turbo engine only the chassis the rest of the car except the turbo will b v3 sti. on top off alota of mods i already have...

extractors

split fuel

fuel pump

upipe

external wastegate etc etc...