• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

what to buy?????

wrxboy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any tyre shop who isnt just looking to make a sale will tell you they arent safe. its far easier to sell a product on price than quality. 5 minutes for a $99 tyre is far less effort than selling someone a good tyre and explaining the difference for 30 minutes.

if it was me $2500 tuned link, $500 good second hand adjusties, $160 each tyres, swaybars and $500 gas. seems you dont drive it enough 4100kms a year cut it loose for a holiday...

wrxboy said:

It's just a street car. And really I've had triangles on my levin and Subaru and my starlet and never had a problem with them..... I've had the tyres on my suby 4 1 and a half years are still on 5mm I think lol I've done 24,000 .

missed the 1 in text speak. still nothing wrong with a good mission

any of you guys who think triangles are acceptable for a 200+kw car ARE A BUNCH OF FRICKEN MUPPETTS!!!!

and are asking to write you car off, ok they may not handle very well around corner and your a good enough driver to feel when they're starting to let go, but what happens when you come around the corner and theres a huge line of stopped cars, your ABS (if you have it) will stop you locking up, but with plastic bands on your rims you'll need twice the stopping distance to pull the car up.

ask BLAZD about crap tyres, I remember when he bought his car it had crap tyres on it, all it took was for him to lift his foot off the gas on a roundabout at slow speed and he was facing the wrong way.

http://www.gizmag.com/wet-weather-braking-tests-show-budget-tires-dont-pay/10850/

maybe dont speed

stick to the speed limit

also limit speed to the road conditions

good wheel allignment etc and proper tire pressure all around

as with othrs i agree triangles are not the best stuff but in their defence, they are fine for road use

if u plan to race then maybe invest in proper race type setup but from your original post it didnt say how much u push ur car

if u not doing the whole race thing on the road and generally being a good guy then it wud be hard for the triangles to fail u just like that..

anyway, if there is funds in tyhe kitty then by all means get a better set but if u have a perfectly fine set then why waste it eh

BTW triangles were on my mates car which did 11.7sec 1/4 mile and also stopped in time with no issues on a slightly damp track even then it was fine

just saying.....

comes down to what u want outta the car

regards to cheap tyres, in the wet i had chengshans on the rear, full boost 1st gear and it would slide so easy it was scary 2 be honest, I didnt want a wrecked car so got some F1s, so much nicer now and just knowing i have rear grip is satisfying

and mine is a stock sti, over 200+KW is just plain silly for triangles

pappu said:

maybe dont speed

stick to the speed limit

as with othrs i agree triangles are not the best stuff but in their defence, they are fine for road use

if u plan to race then maybe invest in proper race type setup but from your original post it didnt say how much u push ur car

if u not doing the whole race thing on the road and generally being a good guy then it wud be hard for the triangles to fail u just like that..

anyway, if there is funds in tyhe kitty then by all means get a better set but if u have a perfectly fine set then why waste it eh

BTW triangles were on my mates car which did 11.7sec 1/4 mile and also stopped in time with no issues on a slightly damp track even then it was fine

just saying.....

Words of wisdom really the roads aint racetracks and noone is endorsing these tyres. MUPPETS lol

pappu said:

maybe dont speed

stick to the speed limit

just saying.....

Really? thats a good bloody effort!!!(on a 400dollar set of tyres lol) yes your right i should have said how i drive my car. i dont nana it but dont rape it lol im inbetween.. if that makes sence at all? Im not one for wasting things so therel last me abit longer yet but once there dolow on tread i will buy a new better set!

G-unit said:

regards to cheap tyres, in the wet i had chengshans on the rear, full boost 1st gear and it would slide so easy it was scary 2 be honest, I didnt want a wrecked car so got some F1s, so much nicer now and just knowing i have rear grip is satisfying

and mine is a stock sti, over 200+KW is just plain silly for triangles

Im suprized at that? i honestly didnt know a slighty better tyre would make that much of a difference... but you live and learn.(il take your advice tho so i dont need to learn the hard way hahaha)

• General Member

Theres plenty of good middle ground tyres if your not someone who thrashes it. I run T1Rs on my WRX and Goodrides on my Altezza.

Goodrides were forced on me by work but I have grown to like them a lot, my Altezza gets thrown around a lot and I haven't managed to upset it yet.

If your not pushing it but want to upgrade then go middle of the road and save a few hundy. No point buying F1s if your never going to use there potential IMO.

• General Member

depends on sizing, best to talk to a tyre shop mate.

Personally as I say I use T1Rs and I find them good but there not top of the range and seem to be out of vogue in the performance market nowadays. The Altezza gets Goodride which are an even cheaper brand and they do the job fine for me.

Flamesuit on again but I don't see much point in upgrading tyres you haven't got to the limit of. Yes yes future proofing and all that but not everyone hammers there cars like some (most) of us on this forum do. If your not giving it stick you should be fine, if you plan to go fast then get the best rubber your budget can afford.

wrxboy said:

How much are middle range tyres? and what brands should i be looking at?? i dont know tyres lol

I use goodyear eagle F1's, bridgestone reoo1's and re002's are good, even a MY01 would be better than triangles , next set I buy will be Nitto's

Johnnynz said:

If your not pushing it but want to upgrade then go middle of the road and save a few hundy. No point buying F1s if your never going to use there potential IMO.

why would he be wanting to throw away on upgrades $5k if he doesn't want to push it?

if he wants to drive like a nana he shouldn't upgrade anything

Johnnynz said:

Just wait til the day you attempt an emergency "stop or avoid" maneuver on a damp road on anything less than a reasonable tyre to talk about using their full potential!

• General Member
 Stoffa']

[quote name='Johnnynz said:

/quote]

why would he be wanting to throw away on upgrades $5k if he doesn't want to push it?

I agree, but I also know a few guys with Skylines and Evos making butloads of power on a Dyno who just nana everywhere and keep inch perfect cars. Its horses for courses. By all means if its going to be pushed tyres are a must, I don't deny that.

I have heard good things about the Nittos, very keen to try a set.

• General Member
 Koom']

/quote]

Just wait til the day you attempt an emergency "stop or avoid" maneuver on a damp road on anything less than a reasonable tyre to talk about using their full potential!

I have good tyres :)

- Edit -

Look to be 100% clear here I am not saying you should chuck any old set of shit tyres on a car your going to push. I'm not saying Triangles are the be all and end all, I'm not that naive.

I am saying they will do if they suit your application, only you know if they will suit your application or not. If your car does a lot of daily KMs and you drive it softly as some people do then I dont see why they shouldn't do. Odds are if you are that Nana driver and you have to do a emergency stop or avoid you will be doing a rather sedate speed anyway.

If your not that guy then chuck a midrange set on. If your an everyday thrashing it or weekend track kind of guy then spend the cash.

As I stated I run what I consider to be good enough street tyres on my WRX (T1R currently) and Goodrides on my Altezza which are more than good enough to handle the lower amount of power the car offers.

But I have run crap tyres at various times for various reasons and my car didn't end up upside down in a ditch because I drove to the capability of the rubber the car had on.

Johnnynz']

/quote]

I agree, but I also know a few guys with Skylines and Evos making butloads of power on a Dyno who just nana everywhere and keep inch perfect cars. Its horses for courses. By all means if its going to be pushed tyres are a must, I don't deny that.

I have heard good things about the Nittos, very keen to try a set.

I have Nitto NT555's currently and i must say they are one choice tyre IMO, stick like glue, hold pressure extremely well, less rolling resistance than my previous set, no sidewall collapse and come out of the same factory in japan as Toyo tyres

i drive somewhat aggressively within the speed limits but they hold well even under heavy cornering and stop on a dime. good in the wet on open road even with a couple of fatties in the back and torrential rain

I'm very happy with my set

They Cost me $195 + gst per corner from mag & turbo