Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Knock knock, who's there? BIG ENDS!

Skinon!

evowrx said:

what causes the skirt to break off?

detonation

normally the top ring land will let go first (from detonation) - sometimes a motor wont even sound different with a broken ring land - just lower compression on that cylinder - keep detonating it and it will eventually smash the whole skirt off - then she makes a hurrr of a noise

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well just visited Reuben, and still no clearer, what else could cause this weird noise... Apparently it idles rough aswell although i have never noticed it myself but i haven't owned one before either..

It makes the 'knock' sound at idle and sorta goes away when revved but is audible on decelleration... Spose i should just take the damn thing to a mexhanic to get diag at least

Nah the lifters are solid, but maybe a clearance issue, or im leaning towards piston slap maybe....

If it does it while under decell then wouldnt that mean there would be no load on the piston and it would make that noise? Although doesnt change when warm or cold...

only skim read over this. have you considered thrust bearings gone? we had a sti wrx over wanaka way at my garage made the sound off a run bearing, ended up being thrust bearings gone. and if you can drag car over to lake hawea ill take the motor out 4 cash ;D

I did say earlier could be thrust bearings (crank float) or it could be the harmonic balancer

Try moving the crank pulley in and out (axial play) if there's play you will feel

It with the belts off - also a shagged harmonic balancer normally

Won't spin true (will spin all

Wobley)

Still makes the noise regardless of if the clutch is in or not...

I have sorta determined that its comin from the left hand side of the engine (lookin at the car from front on) down at the head area. My ps pump is pretty shagged but couldnt be that? How can i easily test the balancer?

Cheers for the offer! But i can do it myself but hey of you end up comin over qtown and wanna help can sort somethin out!

Cheers for the replies guys, dam helpful!

could hear in your video that the power steer pump is whining pretty hard - but it doesnt knock like you have

its probably best you take it to someone who can diagnose in person as its near impossible over the net to diagnose accuratly - as some of us here have different angles on what it sounds like

Yeah, after listening to it in person, I'm not convinced at all that it's a beb.

One thought I had is, possible a shim has come loose? When standing in front of the engine bay, the sound sounds like it is coming from the right head, but putting a long extension against the block and up to me ear, I couldn't hear much anywhere though... Loudest place was probably when I put my ear up to the clutch housing next to the primary turbo.

The idea of a buggered thrust bearing sounds interesting too...

mm this still sounds just like mine, its a touch knocky like that but goes fine and gets raped at the race track and plenty more than fcatory kw)...yMMv though.

Same thing with extension on mine - cant find a location for the noise.? Mine is definately right hand side from the front also. I'm intrigued when ever this gets worked out - or we pull mine.

certainly not BEB noise

Yeah, but it aint piston slap either. And seriously, my GTB's cold piston slap is twice as loud as this tapping - and he doesn't have forgies like we do either.. Also thinking it could be a damaged skirt on a piston.

ReubenH said:

Yeah, but it aint piston slap either. And seriously, my GTB's cold piston slap is twice as loud as this tapping - and he doesn't have forgies like we do either.. Also thinking it could be a damaged skirt on a piston.

>:( >:( dont say that!! im hoping thats not the case on mine secretly.

oh oh.. as a matter of course does his breath a bit out the 710 filler?