Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Knock knock, who's there? BIG ENDS!

Skinon!

Soooo i think my bearings are on the way out....

Whats the round about price to get these replaced on a BH5 Rev C wagon?

My mate has a whole written off car for sale i can grab, with a modified engine but i think its a late rev b

or a early rev c, either way he reckons it has a sti ecu in it or something along those lines. Either way it runs but

it is auto and mines manual. You reckon im setting myself up for trouble? I just want it fixed easy and i dont mind

if i can just get the bigends done on my current engine. They aren't real loud but its def noticable...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• General Member

hang on : auto STI? does that work?

no reason it wont work I rection

yours still TT? keen to go T?

could just keep your intake and swap the bottoms over (keep heads block together etc)

Yea mines still twin, standard except for catback zero sports exhaust...

Well i been getting quotes, Hansens in qtown want $7k to which i almost swallowed my pacifier!

Is anyone around these cold qtown ways, that would be keen on some cashish? I also have a nightclub so im pretty sure i could sort you plus friends out with a awesome night out aswell...

I realise that, but seven thousand dollers to rebuild? Crowesport said 4k.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/subaru/engines/auction-473593133.htm

Is a rebuilt longblock, would i be best to just get something like this and get it put in? I have worked in a garage for almost 3 years, when i was younger and i have my own tools...

Is this the most cost effective way?

Shit yea, 7K, i want a forged rebuild and a blowjob while i wait for it to be done in 15 minutes haha.

But super serial tho, cheers for the input but is there any clubsubbers in qtown that have swapped theeeese over? Give me a GTR or Rx7 i can change the stock twin turbos and a gtr in place but havent worked on many suby's before, and the engines on these look like a arsehole to change.

Do these ones have the pin ontop of the gearbox you gotta remove?

Maybe im just getting lazy...

the thing to pay attention to and research is the compression ratios in the BH legacies, I cant remember the specifics but they messed round with the compression between revisions and between manual and Auto AFAIK.

Once thats sussed any shortblock will be of use to you - just reuse your own heads.

funkytown said:

the thing to pay attention to and research is the compression ratios in the BH legacies, I cant remember the specifics but they messed round with the compression between revisions and between manual and Auto AFAIK.

Once thats sussed any shortblock will be of use to you - just reuse your own heads.

This is actually a complete myth. I'm not sure where it comes from but it has been confirmed that the EJ206 is just an EJ205 with extra oil and water lines, as the EJ208 is just an EJ207 with extra oil and water lines (and no AVCS in case of the revD).

Confirmed from where?

and why then the issues Gazzy was having (and the modifying community) seemed to have with Single turboing his BH with the sti ecu of the same generation?

Surely that then also doesnt imply that the heads are identical - or were you meaning strictly with reference to their compression.

slightly off topic but relevant..

*not that i dont believe you (yet), but it doesn't quite sit right with me as i understand things.

Compression Ratios for Gen 3 Legacys

Rev A and B MANUALS are 8.5:1

all others are 9.0:1 that is Rev A-D auto, Rev C-D Manuals

the way i'd do it is get a V7 short block, correct head gasket and slap your heads back on and away you go!

funkytown said:

Confirmed from where?

and why then the issues Gazzy was having (and the modifying community) seemed to have with Single turboing his BH with the sti ecu of the same generation?

Surely that then also doesnt imply that the heads are identical - or were you meaning strictly with reference to their compression.

slightly off topic but relevant..

*not that i dont believe you (yet), but it doesn't quite sit right with me as i understand things.

Im of the understanding that Rev D BHs have higher compression ratio also hence det issues.

OP: for the sort of prices being bandied around you could get in a full v7 sti engine with link close enough!

funkytown']

[quote name='B4 2000 said:

/quote]

again to be fair to wiretap - What is the source of this Abdul?

source, cant remember now but im sure bout the numbers. ill find the source for ya!

rick-astley-never-gonna-give-you-up.jpg

Wiretap said:

Im no stranger to EJ20s,

You know compression, and so do I

A full re-builds what Im thinking of,

You wouldnt get this from any other guy,

I just wants to tell you the compression,

Gotta make you understand

Never gonna give you up

Never gonna let you down

Never gonna run around and desert you

Never gonna make you cry

Never gonna say goodbye

Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you.

We've known each other for so long

Your big ends going but your too shy to say it

Inside we both know whats been going on

We know the game and we're gonna play it

And if you ask me how Im feeling

Funky dont tell me your too blind to see????

Insert Chorus, gay dance, 80s chicks etc etc

Rickroll.gif

B4 2000 said:

the way i'd do it is get a V7 short block, correct head gasket and slap your heads back on and away you go!

Well yea i can get a forged shortblock for the same they want to rebuild the standy motor. Probably the best way to go huh.

Then chuck twin T51R's on it running methanol and tune it with a iphone run sevens and wake up after i dropped the hoist on my head. Done.

Okay, Going to retract my statement it seems I recieved faulty information.

I can confirm that the RevD is 9.0:1 (with no distinction made between AT and MT). (can provide PDF from service manual if verification needed)

I can't track down the FSM for the A/B/C so we're going to need to assume that B4-2000's data is correct. Even if I don't like using non-Subaru Genuine sources for such data.

V7 WRX or STi should be 8.0:1 (prior to this WRXs were normally 8.5:1), which means plenty of boost with plenty of timing.

evowrx said:

hard to know whats accurate on the net these days. especially between different countries...

Exactly, which is why unless I get the information from Subaru or my own measurements/checks there ain't no way I'm going to share it.