Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Gdb fmic kits

johnny5

Just wondering on what kit fits the best. So basically calling out to gdb owners that have a fmic installed. what was involved on installation, cutting of structural steel? Etc legal issues in needing certs and such. Would really prefer not cutting anything steel and not having to cert If I can find a kit that will allow this its definately something I would be interested in.This is one kit I was interested in also the aps system to

http://www.perrinperformance.com/subaru/sti-04-05/intercoolers/front-mount-intercooler-psp-eng-40x

its a bit of a grey area, if its an sti they have a brace that runs between the chassis rails, this brace needs to be trimmed to fit the intercooler, a non sti doesn't have this brace but a local cert guy i've spoken too says you cant cut it.

But technically you could just remove it and they wouldn't know it was ever there, my advise is speak to your certifier before you start

johnny5 said:

Thanks mate so it will need to be certed? Damn was hoping I could get away with it however I'd rather roll legal yea that whole cutting of the support beam sucks

I ran with a smaller intercooler to avoid cutting into the bumper support and beam, it does push it first further so you need t trim the bumper more but keeps it all legal! 600x180 ftw

Put one on the Spec C, required cutting that support bar, I did so and didn't have any problems with WOF man.

Was a big-brand kit and fit perfectly.

That Perrin Kit would be pretty boss, I don't think APS stuff is easily available any more.

Scoobydoo said:

Put one on the Spec C, required cutting that support bar, I did so and didn't have any problems with WOF man.

Was a big-brand kit and fit perfectly.

That Perrin Kit would be pretty boss, I don't think APS stuff is easily available any more.

Yea just had a look at that perrin kit. Looks pretty hard core!!! $$$$$$

Also with the brand-name setups, you can normally get a good air intake setup as well, I know I did with my ARC one. Process West and APS are the same, since you normally have to ditch the factory airbox to make enough room for the piping.

yea I saw the ARC kit you had scooby but they are non existent now so pretty hard to find just wondering bout the perrin kit whether they are made for right hand drive vehicles as they are produced in the good ol U S of A and may not fit our cars here. Just want a kit that fits well and it has the advantage of a replacement beam. Last kit I fitted to a GDB took me half a day to figure out as it was purchased off tardme second hand with no instructions

my mate bought 3 different kits before he found one he liked.

he ended up using a luxury sports piping kit and a HDi tube and fin intercooler, but still ended up getting the pipework modified a little to get it sitting better.

the luxury sport one goes between the engine and the subframe on the passenger side so doesn't go over the engine

one thing to look out for is some dont come with a maf tube, some do

Ive got an Hdi v5 one, the weld quality is pretty crap on the inside of the pipework but the cooler itself is pretty good. I had to cut bits out according to the instructions and ended up failing a cert because of it. emailed Hdi and they didn't want to know about it or even warn nz buyers that it may cause drama, after sales service SUCKS!! but its only an intercooler setup so not much can go wrong

ohh my bad on my statement earlier - memory was a little fuzzy lol

i ment to say

if a car has an air bag and a front mount is fitted - it will require cert if any thing is cut - if not cut - no cert is needed

on cars pre 97 you can cut whatever you feel like under the headlights etc is fine)

WRXONP said:

ohh my bad on my statement earlier - memory was a little fuzzy lol

i ment to say

if a car has an air bag and a front mount is fitted - it will require cert if any thing is cut - if not cut - no cert is needed

on cars pre 97 you can cut whatever you feel like under the headlights etc is fine)

good to know bro