Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Govt to introduce boy racer car crushing bill

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's solving a problem from the wrong end.

If drivers were educated properly and we had some regulation on what you're allowed to drive relating to your age experience these harsh measures wouldn't be needed, and if they were at least they'd be justified.

I mean (for the majority) a 16yr old in a twin turbo'd road legal race car doesn't appreciate the damage he/she could cause or the implications of their actions aswell as someone at the other end of their 20's. But limiting engine size/power could go a long way in helping things out.

It works for motorbikes.

no one should be worried about this 'bill' if your good.

So.... i don't really care if it comes law. BUT, i don't trust the police in how this 'bill' will/could go to their heads

cpt kernow said:

I mean (for the majority) a 16yr old in a twin turbo'd road legal race car doesn't appreciate the damage he/she could cause or the implications of their actions aswell as someone at the other end of their 20's. But limiting engine size/power could go a long way in helping things out.

It works for motorbikes.

I like your thoughts on limiting engine size. Would be a good start.

+1 I agree too that they are tackling this the wrong way

BUT from reading it quickly the part that identifies "cruising" has me concerned...

What is their definition of "cruising"?

As here in Auckland for our meets, we like to meet somewhere and then "cruise" legally and safely to our venue, such as our cruise to Meremere recently

RevolutionRacegear.co.nz said:

So.... i don't really care if it comes law. BUT, i don't trust the police in how this 'bill' will/could go to their heads

True I beleave that too. Some cops would do that :(

If evendance was shown of the person doing something stupid on Video that would be better.

But its the police offericer word against yours.

Restriction on Car power should be used in stead depending on age and class of licence bthe person has.

They should sell the car and not crush it....

More cars that get crushed the less there will be around making parts harder to get...

• General Member

TBH as said if your not doing wrong you should be pretty safe.

Also the warning system (two written warnings it said) should mean if you are being targeted by a certain cop you have time and recourse through the Police complaints authority.

However if your being a nob you may well lose your car to the crusher. So long as at least one warning is mandatory and there is an appeasl system I have no issue with this.

So long as any cop wearing aviators and a size to tight pants cant crush your car for going down a certain street at 3am in the morning.

Oh and +1 on limiting engine size etc, I have been on that bandwagon for a long time now.

Guest dynofiend

All sounds pretty standard. The chances of these powers being used outside of operations specifically targetted in the areas which are frequented by so called 'street racers', or 'ballbags' as they are more often known, are slim. If you just happen to be in the area spectating, or parked up, then you are equally responsible for the problems which the idiots are causing there, because you are the ones they come to show off to. Stay out of the way of the idiots, and the places they go, and youll be sweet.

Such laws and powers have existed in the UK for many years, are extremely successful, and still allow law abiding car enthusiasts to enjoy their hobbies in a responsible and socialble manner. The number of cars actually crushed is quite small, but thats all thats needed to make the idiots scared of theirs being next.

I should know, I was a cop in the UK for 7 years, and have been a complete car nut for even longer!

Guest STiEVO

dont think it is a issue for sensible people . however i reckon they should also send the warning notices to the boy racers insurance company as well as the owner and finance companies.

Guest STiEVO
 TURTLE said:

And the owners parents.

are you taking the piss or being serious cos if my kids were involved id want to know

STiEVO said:

dont think it is a issue for sensible people . however i reckon they should also send the warning notices to the boy racers insurance company as well as the owner and finance companies.

I think they already notify your insurance company if your stopped while attending illegals

arsenal69']

[quote name='STiEVO said:

/quote]

I think they already notify your insurance company if your stopped while attending illegals

nah dont think so, bit unfair if your driving a modified vehicle through the same area and happen to get caught up in the train and get pulled over, i know a mate thats had that exact thing happen to him. i also recieved a letter from the cops saying my insurance company would probably like to know that i have been there, but meh, what can ya do. dont think ill be goin again for quite some time, if ever atm, car attracts too much attention

RevolutionRacegear.co.nz said:

Even if your good, all you have to do is look remotly like a "boyracer" and you will get picked on... Sorry but its true...

Your totally right about the police's heads....

As i said in my interview - its not the boyracers that are scared - its the people like us who arent boyracers but drive nice cars that are going to wear the brunt of it....

Most of the "boyracers" i know - have daily drivers, they only bring there "nice" cars out for town/cruising/illegals etc... most of us drive ours daily - whos going to wear the brunt of the police?

Dont get me wrong - i think its a good idea - BUT Maybe they should concentrate on the repeat, drunk and drugged offenders as well as "boyracers"... dont just make this rule apply for one sterotype - apply it to all!!

Every law has loop holes - it will only take one boy racer to find one and bam - there all getting off the crushing...

imo this law will end up being like the exhaust thing....there as a last ditch deterrant, but not really an inconvenience for your average enthusiast.

However, like the exhaust law, there is potential for a cop having a bad day to abuse this law.

But it takes 3 warnings....so you need to consistently be "wrong doing" to get anywhere near having your whip crushed.

im my opinion they would be better to include MORE people in with the same law..

People who drive under the influence of alcohol/drugs(especially the habitual ones)

excessive continual speedsters.

people who drive slow all the time

non use of indicators

heheheheehheeheh'

Rossmnz said:

But it takes 3 warnings....so you need to consistently be "wrong doing" to get anywhere near having your whip crushed.

Remember though that each of those 3 warnings includes having your car confiscated off of you for 28 days while being presumed guilty. The old laws allowed punishment without the burden of proof, while these new laws build upon that by restricting personal freedoms. It's a shame the justice system is so clogged, as by the time you have the chance to defend your case you've already been punished and have had your car back for some time. I only hope that they at least wait until you've had the chance to defend your case before crushing your car.

cpt kernow said:

It works for motorbikes.

I for one am a 16yr old in a "twin turbo'd road legal race car" and I DO understand the damage that can be caused by high-speeds.

I think this law is a step in the right direction but I can tell that responsible young drivers such as myself may face a lot of police attention over the next few years with this new crackdown on "young racers" - which is a shame, stereotypes are never good. But as said earlier, those that aren't in the wrong shouldn't have anything to fear provided the police don't take this new power to their heads.

On a side note I for one think the current motorbike scheme is an epic failure. I have ridden my brother's CBR250 and I tell you it's definitely not a "learners bike". Not to mention my rm250 has no trouble at putting a smile on my face when I open the throttle. But the government is moving in the right direction with HP restrictions rather than displacement. I think a similar HP scheme could work quite well with cars as well. It would mean I would have to give up my RS though..... :-\ on the otherhand, I'll save lots on insurance ;)

1994legacyrs']

[quote name='cpt kernow said:

It works for motorbikes.

/quote]

On a side note I for one think the current motorbike scheme is an epic failure. I have ridden my brother's CBR250 and I tell you it's definitely not a "learners bike". Not to mention my rm250 has no trouble at putting a smile on my face when I open the throttle. But the government is moving in the right direction with HP restrictions rather than displacement. I think a similar HP scheme could work quite well with cars as well. It would mean I would have to give up my RS though..... :-\ on the otherhand, I'll save lots on insurance ;)

Ive heard they are going to be chainging it to involve how much power the motorbike makes instead of engine size.

So if they did you could get a cruzer or bike that could be bigger than 250 aslong as it didnt go over the power limit or something.

Thats a much better idea.

It would mean I would have to give up my RS though.....

also if you couldnt drive it.. you could always spend your time working on it and doing it up and running mint etc. when you are no long controlled by any power ban law you could take it out and show what your been doing up over time :)