Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

intercooler upgrade V8 tmic -> V5

hey guys am thinking about upgrading my version 5 topmount for a version 8 item, am curious to know if any1 has any ideas about how to go about this, am considering a version 8 intake manifold and intercooler if it will bolt up to my version 5 heads,and also if the injectors from a version 8 are the pink top 550cc 1s? any advice would be greatly appreicated

thanks

Guest STiEVO

i think youll have to move the thingy on the firewall to fit the tmic .master cylinder i think. its not worth it just get a front mount hehe

you will need to stick with your manifold as the v8 wont bolt to your heads, v8 intercooler can be made to fit tho as said above you will have problems with the brake master cylinder but you can use the late model item which is offset.

i havent done this myself but have done research in the past as my dyno guy recommended this over the front mount i had planned and now have. with a front mount unless you do it properly you end up with miles of piping.

you can shorten mastercylinder resivoir like i have to fit my v7 intercooler into my forester (pretty much identical to what you are thinking of)

also check where the bov sits on the v8 intercooler as i had issues with mine hitting the IAC valve on the manifold.

you may also need to get the intake from the turbo to intercooler lengthened to get it to sit right.

and you will need new mount brackets

to be honest as much as i hate front mounts they are a cheaper option if you have a decent bumber for them to get airflow, forrester bumbers are crap for fmic hence me upgrading to a bigger topmount.

driftrex said:

...you can use the late model item which is offset.

Are you referring to a late model offset master cylinder or intercooler?

nztintin, how much did you have to cut off your master cylinder?

I've been looking into doing this as well, with little success so far haha.

Oh, and the turbo-intercooler pipe does need to be extended, hoping to find a truck radiator pipe or something that fits so I don't need to get anything welded.

Unseen1']

[quote name='driftrex said:

...you can use the late model item which is offset.

/quote]

Are you referring to a late model offset master cylinder or intercooler?

nztintin, how much did you have to cut off your master cylinder?

I've been looking into doing this as well, with little success so far haha.

Oh, and the turbo-intercooler pipe does need to be extended, hoping to find a truck radiator pipe or something that fits so I don't need to get anything welded.

yea the master cylinder, but im not 100percent sure on that but have read it in previous research.

yeah clutch resivoir (i'm just a sheep i'll call it whatever the person before me does)

i cut about 20mm off uit, there was a thread somewhere (nasioc maybe???) that said how to do it, you could also get a v7\v8 clutch resivoir which is remote anyway.

Guest STiEVO
 nztintin said:

yeah clutch resivoir (i'm just a sheep i'll call it whatever the person before me does)

i cut about 20mm off uit, there was a thread somewhere (nasioc maybe???) that said how to do it, you could also get a v7\v8 clutch resivoir which is remote anyway.

stick with thingy its a safe bet

crazymf said:

I have everything you want to do the conversion. V8 manifold, intercooler, brackets, master cylinder etc. pm me for more info

this guy can do it for a decent price too for sure!! :)

PS. the v7/8 sti top mounts will easlily from 300kw+ as per some performance cars who have it and the minimum lag would be good..

the only reason i went fm was for the look but wud heavily recomend the top mount..

PS. i have seen it fitted to b4 and looks like its easier to fit to them..

• 1 year later...

yeah i was gonna say QRAF has a larger intercooler on his.

While its not factory STi the principle remains the same I suppose.

Remote mount the clutch reservoir and a little bit of jiggery pokery with the piping and you are away.

Shouldnt be too much work for someone who can fabricate?

just remember when you put the new cylinder in that you'll have to adjust your clutch pedal or you won't get any pressure and the pedal won't push back ;) aye driftrex ;)

my issue was the bov and hoses but they have now been sorted.

mattapo']

[quote name='nztintin said:

you can use the standard clutch cylinder with a larger top mount, i have, all i did was cut down it's height which was a 2 min job.

/quote]

not with the legacy you cant

The OP mentioned a v5 WRX which would be closer to a Forester than a leggy??

Guest boostcut
 QRAF said:

just remember when you put the new cylinder in that you'll have to adjust your clutch pedal or you won't get any pressure and the pedal won't push back ;) aye driftrex ;)

my issue was the bov and hoses but they have now been sorted.

why do you have to adjust the pedal? i havent ever had to adjust it, and ive done a few now...