Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

White smoke - Lots of it!!!

pieman

So after getting the RS running again it bellows piles of white smoke out of the exhaust. I mean piles and piles of white smoke!!! which smells quite bad too.

Now it never used to do this, apart from cold, and maybe a little at idle. So since last running I have been pulling it apart over the last year, internally the engine has stayed stock, I've added a VF23 and a pile of other bolt on mods.

Now that it back together its running, idles nice and smooth I haven't been for a strop as its not registered.

It will badly need a tune, but I want to make sure I have as much sorted before it goes on the dyno, as fixing probs on the dyno costs more than I have.

I did a compression test before pulling the RS apart and got nice even compression across all cylinders. Usually I hear white smoke is a sign of a head gasket fault, but given this wasn't happening before I pulled the engine down, I'd be surprised if the gasket failed while the car sat round for a year.

What other causes could there be for heaps of white smoke? could it be a turbo problem?

Thanks

Q

Cheers, that was one of my thoughts as the turbo is new to the mix, and wondered if that could be letting water into the exhaust perhaps.

Joker, no antifreeze in the water just yet, only filled it up with water to get the car up and running.

Head gasket was my thought but as mentioned I've done a comp test which was fine, I know it can blow into the exhaust side too, but as mentioned it wasn't doing it before I had it off the road, so I'd be surprised if a gasket would blow with the car sitting around.

q

hmmmm interesting

the majority of people on clubsub are genuine so id say maybe you put the turbo on wrong rather than the turbo being poked? not that hartd to put a turbo on though, sounds like blown turbo oil seals to me

usually when the oil seal blows it lets oil into your red hot exhuast system causing it to burn and come out the exhaust, or if you have an exhuast leak from anywhere it will come out there look

did you connect you oil lines up correctly? maybe you have and outlet on your inlet? pretty hard to get mixed up but meh

yea i agree with thunda - oil seals most likely

although u couls also check the water in the radiator - if its head gaskit , u will lose water and also can do a test (forgot name right now) that checks for chemicals present in the cooland for combustion material

pieman said:

Sounding like the restrictor in the oil feed line, VF23's have a smaller feed than the TD's and I'm using the TD05 one.

so true.. i think in the old forum ther was a thread on this and they recomended that the oil pressure was too much causing oil to leak out of seals

hmmm question - based on the info above - would that be true for vf22? - does it use a smaller feed than a td04 (not 05) specifically...

gotasuby said:

could be leaking injector seals?

Bet me to it, damn you Jason!

But seriously, does it smell like a metric gas tank full of petrol is pouring out your exhaust?

pappu']

[quote name='pieman said:

Sounding like the restrictor in the oil feed line, VF23's have a smaller feed than the TD's and I'm using the TD05 one.

/quote]

so true.. i think in the old forum ther was a thread on this and they recomended that the oil pressure was too much causing oil to leak out of seals

hmmm question - based on the info above - would that be true for vf22? - does it use a smaller feed than a td04 (not 05) specifically...

My vf22 had a 0.9 feed apature but needed bigger, hence the blowed up bit. Id bet at 1.2-1.5mm so it shouldnt be too much more. So i wouldnt be thinking in this case too much oil feed.

I had the exact same issue, and for me it turned out to be an injector seal failing.... Pumping out white white smoke, smells heavily of fuel, and the worst fuel efficiency ever.......

If it is indeed this, I'd be careful about driving it due the engine being flooded with fuel, don't want to run the risk of bore-wash... Also make sure to do an oil change, I had a heap of petrol floating at the top when I did an oil change afterwards.

unbolt the injector rail off the manifold and get someone to prime the fuel pump by turning the key from acc to ON while you lift the rail up and check for and fuel dripping underneath rail. there should be no fuel when key turned to on, only when key turned to start

pieman said:

I haven't driven it other than out of the garage and then back in, can't really given its a track car.

But it did feel a bit weak getting up the driveway, why you ask?

q

I just have abit of white smoke and idles quite high sometimes especially when you close down and sit at lights. Maybe totally unrelated but you gotta ask. Prob condensation though as it sits for a week at a time. Could well be my o2 sensor though for the idle as its the only thing ive touched recently.