Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Blown Turbo

joshhorn16

Hi All,

Just cruising back from a mates on the shore saturay night. something decided to shit itself. Heres a small run down of what happend and what i have done so far.

Cruising from standstill through the gear untill about 3rd where i brought it to around 10 psi of boost. this is when all hell broke loose motor had sudden loss of power and mass ammounts of smoke started hauling out the exhaust and started missfiring i turned the car off straight away and let it roll to a stop. Had the car towed home the following day to try find the cause.

When the car was home i noticed large amounts of oil all throught the engine bay. this i noticed had been cause by the blow by tube popping off i thought i may have melted a piston (Couldnt find a swear word long enough then) but when i stared looking in the intercooler pipping i noticed a large volume of oil sitting at every elbow. so as a test i dropped the exhaust manifold off so that the exhaust was just coming straight out the block. I then started the car with no ic piping and maf straight over the throttle body car start first go and had tiny amount of smoke and then ran fine just Farking loud.

could this be the turbo or is my new motor gone bye bye :-\ attached is a pic of one the elbows with half the amount of oil in than when i found it.

Ok - if I read that right

If the oil is spraying fricken everywhere with the hose off, as you\'ve said, out the breather hose - it\'s getting forced out from the crankcase under some decent pressure. That\'s bad sign number 1 of a cracked/holed piston

If that breather was hooked up to the intake as per normal, then that explains why all your piping is filled with oil as well, if it was severe enough to make that breather hose come flying off then uh... damn

The breather hose normally does just that (breathe) - there shouldn\'t be pressure in there. If it was just turbo getting nuked then it would explain piping full of oil - but would not explain the breather pumping it out

*rando thought* - if it was getting quite strong blow by (maybe one ring not sealing right or something? It\'s a new motor right?) which has then blown off this hose, with that hose off you now have a wicked leak to atmosphere after the AFM so it\'ll be sucking unmetered air - could have had a nasty lean-out under boost as a result and cracked a piston and been the final nail in the coffin so to speak?

Sorry man don\'t mean to be all bad news, just thinking out loud

well it did spray everywhere and no longer does now. what are your thoughts on reply to this thread ?

"Hi. Thanks for using JA! I will try and help you out.

Yes it can. I have seen this before. Basically when the seal fails, it allows the exhaust gases to go down the oil drain tube and pressurize the crankcase and cause blowby"

joshhorn16 said:

sweet as but more so roughly what would be a decent range. i really just dont see how i can run through a v7 sti motor on 14psi in 4th tuned quicker than a ver5 wrx motor on 20 psi untuned.

What are you saying here? Any decent motor tuned at 14psi will have better delivery than an untuned motor of similar spec at 20psi if thats what youre getting at.

Petrol engine you can see anywhere from 130-180 think 130 low but Im not a mech. Variance of about 10 but again Im no mech.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...