Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Boost activated switch - water sprayers

Marky

Hey

Been looking but can\'t find anything online - where would I find a boost activated switch / relay?

Wanting one to set up an i/c sprayer - is there a seperate switch in the older sti\'s for it or is it ECU managed?

I\'ve heard of them being called a "Hobbs Switch" but google is giving me no help here

Don\'t really want to set up something manually activated if I can help it, and will prob try and make my own brofessional EBC out of an adjustable one too (did it already years ago, worked pretty well)

I did a mad hack job with mine a couple years back. On the leggys you can twist the rear window wiper down and it only sprays the back window without moving the wiper.

I jimmied up some hose over the intercooler and put some sprinkler heads on it.

worked fairly well actually.

Just use an oil pressure switch like TPS007

http://www.tridon.com.au/Products/Product.aspx?SG=8&S=35&G=483&P=2011

Just use it to trigger a relay that turns on the rear window washer pump. If you want to get fancy you can parallel wire in a thermostat so it also operates above a certain temp.

As the oil switch open curcuits under pressure you would need to use the NC contact on the relay , so the pump runs when the relay turns off.

You are probably better just getting a manual setup.

Its probably more relevent to squirt when you are slow moving or not moving at all and intercooler is becomming an interwarmer due to heatsoak.

If you make the system exclusively boost related you will be usually moving at high speed anyway and thus in theory it is largely pointless.

OR GET A SOOPERCOOLER!!!

tmic or fmic depends on when you want to spray it

they jaycar kit based on throttle agressivness would be a good way to do it too .

it monitors how fast / often you are chopping the throttle and if you exceed what ever % you set it at it turns on .

not just as how far the throttle is open . but how fast you are on and off the gas eg spirited driving .

iirc it was only like $30 too

http://autospeed.com/cms/title_The-Simple-Voltage-Switch/A_2476/article.html

Thinking something like this, tied to tps voltage - call it 4v for arguments sake, more than say 80% throttle and it switches? Easy as to have a manual switch wired in parallel with it as well.

Orrrr

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_112617/article.html

One of those tied to inlet air or intercooler temp would make sense too, little trial and error would get something workable I think.

Second one probably makes most sense, will see what I can find

Edit - copy pasta works http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=DC+12V+Digital+Temperature+Controller+Thermostat+C&_sacat=0&_from=R40

http://www.capitalinstruments.co.nz/afawcs0152038/CATID=166/pressure-switches.html

bit dare tho . surely jaycar could have some hobby grade ones for a hobby like price . no luck tho

i think a blanket reading off tps isnt ideal

measuring inlet temp and is good idea . tho i think youd have to set it quite high or itll be using a lot of water when you dont really need it

on the 2nd page they have these . http://www.capitalinstruments.co.nz/afawcs0152039/CATID=166/ID=952/SID=950984256/PRESS-SW-OIL-4.5-7.5-PSI-N/C-1/4.html

could be worth a shot aye . assume it turns on at 5 psi ish . any time you get above 5 psi is usually when your giving it the jandle . or maybe 10 psi would be better . depens how you drive i guess

$30 for a sprayer vs $3k to get a/market ecu working and car converted to single - it barely cost me more than that to buy it outright. I appreciate what you\'re saying but this is more just something to keep me busy and if it works, can pass on to others at my end of the budget spectrum haha

Might grab one of the inlet temp gauges and find out how bad it gets in the first place and go from there - as was said, the problem is more heat soak and low speed, after a few seconds off boost over 50k the cooler gets cold to the touch already. Even if nothing else the gauge is super cheap and will give me a starting place. Hell, could combine something in series with both inlet temp and boost pressure, so it doesn\'t just spray like mad when I\'m in traffic not going anywhere.

Actually that would be cheap to do with one of the .3 bar oil pressure senders... Don\'t see why it wouldn\'t work - if x boost and inlet temp over x then degrees spray, if no boost or cooler not too hot then don\'t bother

Backyard rangimods since 2000 y0

Marky said:

$30 for a sprayer vs $3k to get a/market ecu working and car converted to single - it barely cost me more than that to buy it outright. I appreciate what you\'re saying but this is more just something to keep me busy and if it works, can pass on to others at my end of the budget spectrum haha

Might grab one of the inlet temp gauges and find out how bad it gets in the first place and go from there - as was said, the problem is more heat soak and low speed, after a few seconds off boost over 50k the cooler gets cold to the touch already. Even if nothing else the gauge is super cheap and will give me a starting place. Hell, could combine something in series with both inlet temp and boost pressure, so it doesn\'t just spray like mad when I\'m in traffic not going anywhere.

Actually that would be cheap to do with one of the .3 bar oil pressure senders... Don\'t see why it wouldn\'t work - if x boost and inlet temp over x then degrees spray, if no boost or cooler not too hot then don\'t bother

The oil switch idea will work quite well................Using temp sensing may cause issues. Because the higher temp when sensed is too late to apply cooling.........You need to be cooler before boost is required to get the best result.

Flogging the dead horse again but here goes. TRY THIS (As some one has suggested it already) http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,18866.0.html

Marky said:

fkn good cunt . me and you needa hang out

flogging a dead horse is a bit of an understatement

yo marky i have all the stuff to build a super cooler if ya wanna experiment . i was going to but was easier to put fmic pipes back on than make all the other bits fit the car

got core and heat exchanger and hose and pump and reservior

lachlan said:

flogging a dead horse is a bit of an understatement

yo marky i have all the stuff to build a super cooler if ya wanna experiment . i was going to but was easier to put fmic pipes back on than make all the other bits fit the car

got core and heat exchanger and hose and pump and reservoir

Really?.....Why do you need a reservoir? There is only one SOOPERCOOLER. How does yours work? Flow? Internal baffles? Front radiator surface area? Temp drop across the core? Any data? At all?

fkn told you once im not going to argue/discuss anything more with you

for anyone else i was going to run about 10 litres of ice in a box in the boot and circulate water . ice is free . sub ambient temps is good

yeah i know it wont last for ever but itd do a day at the drags and a fang up the hills .

Won\'t bother with the WAIC - more than enough to go wrong on a B4 as it is haha - but thanks for the offer.

Found this critter http://www.trademe.co.nz/building-renovation/heating-cooling/other/auction-555169717.htm

That\'s the temp measurer thingy with relay - google reckons it refreshes about twice a second so will do for what I want.

Will update once it shows up - the sprayers will be a whole $5 from bunnings so not exactly breaking the bank with experimenting. Better than nothing

Soopersubaru I appreciate what you\'re saying but the "soopercooler" is far from a new idea, there have been people boxing up RB20 / VR4 / legacy intercoolers for years and running them in a water bath, chuck in a radiator and a pump and you have a custom WAIC for under $200. Make it with a lid or a big resirvoir and you can dump a bag of party ice in to get sub-ambient for drags or a couple laps.

I\'m not going to those lengths - the intercooler I have functions fine, I\'m just rigging this up because I have time to kill and like to give stuff like this a whirl.

lachlan said:

fkn told you once im not going to argue/discuss anything more with you

for anyone else i was going to run about 10 litres of ice in a box in the boot and circulate water . ice is free . sub ambient temps is good

yeah i know it wont last for ever but itd do a day at the drags and a fang up the hills .

Pull ya head in! I don\'t give a toss!........I will always retaliate to being attacked........Everytime!! Esp if sworn at!