Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Oil?..

Guest loren

Also, put the engine oil in the filler at the top of the engine... not all over the engine like some newbs do.

it is harder to check this way, but you get to wait longer periods before re filling.

Guest loren
 gotasuby said:

you should use engine oil in your engine and gearbox oil in your gearbox :P

This is a little misleading... most modern Subarus do not require gearbox oil, due to having teflon coated gears.

LOL

when someone gives a serious answer, you'll get 15 different recomendations on oil to use, with everyone swearing there answer is the best. Right from the knob with 1500 posts to the people who know there stuff with 30. Be carefull who you listen too.

But my 2c, is i swear by castrol edge 10w60 and i check my oil ever second or 3rd time i fill up with gas, so around ever 1000k's

TURTLE said:

LOL

when someone gives a serious answer, you'll get 15 different recomendations on oil to use, with everyone swearing there answer is the best. Right from the knob with 1500 posts to the people who know there stuff with 30. Be carefull who you listen too.

But my 2c, is i swear by castrol edge 10w60 and i check my oil ever second or 3rd time i fill up with gas, so around ever 1000k's

Dont listen to Turtle he doesnt know anything. His mum wipes his bot bot :) Jokes.

Oils oil. Use one brand and one type and stick with it. Edge if you can afford it or tired and tested Castrol GTX. Do an oil change every 5000km and oil and filter every 10thou and you cant go wrong. Check it once a week. If it blows up i didnt do it. :)

And they use YELLOW on the parts you can touch and 7IO actually means OIL :-*

i use magnatech and do a filter and oil every 5000km , i use genuine filters only. my car had bad lifter noise as they did, and after the second to third oil change with magnatech it went away and have never heard it again. just find what works for your car and stick with it.

Swindog said:

Oils oil. Use one brand and one type and stick with it. Edge if you can afford it or tired and tested Castrol GTX. Do an oil change every 5000km and oil and filter every 10thou and you cant go wrong. Check it once a week. If it blows up i didnt do it. :)

I agree, Oil is oil. Stick with a brand you trust based on expert advice and change it regularly.

I personally use Elf 10w40 Competition SM - mainly as apparently thats what STi Japan use as well as a number of the cars in the Production Race Series here in NZ. Its surived track and gravel in both my Legacys fine.

I was told recently by a very respected Subaru engine builder to only put Castrol in my car unless I could find/afford Motul.

But then I run Elf Competion SM 10w/40 so shows how obedient I am ::)

Used to run Castrol Edge but prefer the price of Elf now I have found a trade price discount for it.........

Yeah i think it depends on what mechanic you speak to becuase some get massive discounts depending on brand they use. Castrol GTX is good as its turbo tested and been around for years and years, infact its one of the first oils made for turbo cars and cars full stop. BUT its mineral based so you have to change it often or use it as a run in oil then switch to a synthetic... which is why STI use Elf Competition cos it synthetic and combines well with the metal properties of a subaru motor. They used to have an oil that was made specifically for a Subaru motor...cant remember what it was though.

Swindog']

[quote name='TURTLE said:

LOL

/quote]

Dont listen to Turtle he doesnt know anything. His mum wipes his bot bot :) Jokes.

its hardly worth not replacing your filter every time aswell, there only 6 bux or something...

Elf does have a decent price and can buy in bulk so thats what ive used...

Hey guys thanks heaps for all the replies.. :) I've got no oil in there atm, DOH, i know, so how much should it take and how do i go about doing an oil change myself?..