Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BOV elimination

soopersubaru

Install the throttle butterfly as a Pre turbo throttle. Would it work? and therefore eliminate the need for a BOV?

Just thinking off the board (as usual!)

My thinking is that full vac would be achieved from the turbo inlet to the intake valves when you get off the throttle, this will also allow the turbo to "free" spool in a vacuum and maybe decrease lag despite having to "refill" the intake system when WOT is reapplied.

Further as the pressure will be reduced through the intercooler (less air volume present) the cooling effect may also be enhanced during lower pressure times.......i.e partial throttle and closed throttle.

Of course there would be no need for a BOV either......No whoosh fissshh! Ya!!

Ok thoughts and critics........Go for it!!

blow off valves are cool

throttles use lots of gas . get rid of the throttle bro

and the turbo . just blow the exhaust straight into the motor . might need 2 intercoolers . or a soopercooler

ps your thread title couldnt be more misguiding if you tried .

Marky said:

Thank you MARKY.... Couldnt find it myself via google but had heard of it. Seems the rally boys have been there done that with reasonable success. (Peugeot)

I am aware that BOV can be eliminated in other ways too...Tune wise with partial open throttle as part of antilag setup.

I was just interested to know if it maybe another way of reducing lag.

However as pointed out, The pitfall could be sucking the compressor wheel seals insideout! Although i believe the relativly short post turbo route on our subarus could provide a good result if fitted and made reliable.

Best of all...........No BOV noise......Perfect for the sleeper style car!

AS FOR THIS COMMENT BELOW....WTF!

blow off valves are cool

throttles use lots of gas . get rid of the throttle bro

and the turbo . just blow the exhaust straight into the motor . might need 2 intercoolers . or a soopercooler

ps your thread title couldnt be more misguiding if you tried .

Mr Lachlan...........The above is a typical example of your lower mentality!.....Grow up!

I haven\'t even read the link I put up haha, I remember reading about it years ago from the old turbo F1 cars

My understanding is it would be an absolute pig of a car to drive. It suits a no-holds-barred race engine on a big budget team as things can and do get replaced - see also constant antilag - but from memory what I\'ve read is that it\'s an "all or nothing" scenario, you either have idle or full noise and that\'s it, part throttle control is horrendous

Don\'t ask me the details, it\'s too early to think about it but there\'s a reason nooone uses it anymore

If you want no lag - use antilag, get some boost at idle - if you want no BOV noise just use a recirc BOV

Short version - I can\'t see any benefit

Marky said:

I haven\'t even read the link I put up haha, I remember reading about it years ago from the old turbo F1 cars

My understanding is it would be an absolute pig of a car to drive. It suits a no-holds-barred race engine on a big budget team as things can and do get replaced - see also constant antilag - but from memory what I\'ve read is that it\'s an "all or nothing" scenario, you either have idle or full noise and that\'s it, part throttle control is horrendous

Don\'t ask me the details, it\'s too early to think about it but there\'s a reason nooone uses it anymore

If you want no lag - use antilag, get some boost at idle - if you want no BOV noise just use a recirc BOV

Short version - I can\'t see any benefit

So it would suit the ultimate driver then?

To Quote Jackie Stewart "The only way to drive a race car is FLAT to the floor.....Either on the brake or the throttle!"

Yes its hard to see true benefit.........Worth discussion to think about though all the same.

JoKer']

[quote name='evowrx said:

effort to remove a pssshh sound. whats the point? :D

/quote]

its not about getting rid of the noise/BOV at all

maybe a 30L compressed air tank to force fill the turbo back to pressure on WOT

Thanks for that...........Kind of two reasons for me.....No1 being less lag investigation.......and i have a personal hate of that bloody noise!

Just thought the title would invite more to have a look/comment..........Guess that worked!

evowrx said:

I hope you are putting the engine in a corolla so its actually worth going to all this effort to remove a pssshh sound. But even then you dont need a sleeper on the track and you dont race on the road - whats the point? :D

Now when you do take your sleeper to the track......It sure attracts attention!....Coz it sounds like it should not...........When in actual fact it Does GO like crazy!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes i suppose the above is relevent.......It does eliminate the BOV noise and also maintains turbo speed. That is the aim..........Maintain turbo speed/spool and get rid of the BOV. This can be done and i believe it is an excellent idea.

Even Automatics need to maintain turbo speed to prevent stall/surge issues during throttle off.