Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Drag Prep

Roo

Local hotrod club is running a drag meet on the 16th that I will be running in and I just thought I\'d post up and find out what anybody else has done setup-wise

what sort of ride height? tyre pressures you\'ve used? things you\'ve taken out to reduce weight (major one to me)?

I will be throwing my TE37\'s back on as they weigh stuff all and lifting the height a bit, remove spare wheel and jack/tools

My mate is lending me his bee*r rev limiter so I can use the 2-step to nail the launch, I really want to lay down a good time and show up some of the mouthy commodore drivers around here.

Any advice drawn from experience will be appreciated

Remove seats

Run half tank gas

Get savage with it, drop clutch on last yellow, go mental

I\'ve done prob 300 runs over the years in lowish powered 4wds mostly and best times have come from limiter launches and pretending the gearbox isn\'t mine. Be gentle and times will suffer. Other option is to floor it from idle on the first yellow, and dump it on the last, means full boost and around 6500-7000rpm and in most cars 1.8 ish 60ft times, the bee r thing is probably not going to help you much so don\'t stress too much about it.

Ignore the crap about low pressure in tyres, street tyres have no sidewall flex. In a mid powered 4wd wheelspin is your friend, drop the clutch and light it up through first, smash second the remainder is out of your hands anyway

On your car I can\'t imagine you will see much if any changes from messing with ride height etc, main thing is to keep all 4 wheels planted - stiffen the back up if it has the ability

Trial and error counts for a lot, and if you\'re wanting a good time for bragging rights ignore the actual lights, the time you get is only measured from when you move, not the green light.

haha fkn oath marky

what clutch do you have ? and can you launch it any good ?

i was doing 1.8 60 foot times with a held at 4-5k then foot flat as release clutch . spins up good . thats a 4 puk and a 4.5kg flywheel tho

pull the drivers head light out . make a straight exhaust pipe / side pipe etc coz the v8s actually make more noise than they do power .

you will rape a ss commodore anyway . a ls1 with intake and exhaust only puts 200kw to the wheels . and weighs 2 ton and cant get off the line to save itself

take subs etc out

passenger seat ? only 4 bolts . and then ya mate has something while spectating lol

take the big gay wing off

yeah ill shut up now

how far are you going as far as suspension tuning . with the adjustables ? play with allignment ?

Cheers for all the input guys, atm I have my 0-100 down to ~4.5sec but I feel I could do better, no idea of 60ft as I\'ve never been to the drags before/had the means to time it.

I\'ve got no idea on the clutch, assumed it\'s standard, it has taken some decent abuse in its time though. I\'ve been launching around the 6-6.5k mark with lots of choice wheelspin after the clutch is released.

Can\'t do a heck of a lot with the adjustment/alignment they are just your average height only adjustable coilovers.

No subs or any of those other wank wanks on my car atm anyway to remove.

• General Member

Back seats weigh bugger all, probably make the same savings by taking a slash before your run. Front is fairly heavy with Rails.

I gotta say I disagree about Wheelspin, if you can grab a launch with no wheelspin and not bog down I think you would be quicker. Do a forum serch on how to launch and theres a few good write ups from people about using the handbrake to build boost.

youll know more once you get your first slip. trial and error.

try clutch dump on last yellow and asses reaction time, if you reaction time is high then next time try on the second to last yellow.

i managed to sus my wagon down to a .065\'s

not much of a diff but it all adds up

also i found tyre pressure change helped i was getting consistent times with heaps of wheel spin.

dropped 5psi out and dropped my time by around half a second and lost most of the wheel spin but with still a touch because i like my gearbox :D

antilag also helped ;D

rex-leggy said:

antilag also helped ;D

That\'s my theory with the bee*r too

interesting about the mixed reactions on tyre pressures, the tyres on my TE37\'s are fairly low grade (primewell) so I\'ll need all the tyre aids I can get

Thanks again for the input, have been doing a bit of searching about and this isn\'t the first time the questions been asked lol

I will do a few more practice launches to figure it all out too but it\'s nice to hear from people with experience.

Might just stop eating between now and then lol :D

• General Member
 lachlan said:

yeah i agree that less wheel spin could be faster but it is going to be at the expense of your (stock) clutch

i dont have that choice

To be fair my stock clutch has now outlasted 4 Gearboxes :D

If your not prepared to break something, dont launch it.

Johnnynz']

[quote name='lachlan said:

yeah i agree that less wheel spin could be faster but it is going to be at the expense of your (stock) clutch

i dont have that choice

/quote]

To be fair my stock clutch has now outlasted 4 Gearboxes :D

If your not prepared to break something, dont launch it.

I\'d love to break something tbh, I want a new diff to be specific

Trial and error

2WD\'s you try to minimise wheelspin, 4wd turbo your biggest problem is making sure you don\'t bog it down off the line, do that and the run is a write off anyway - better to err too high and spin up than too low and bog and fall off boost

You can do a handbrake/clutch slip launch and get the same 60ft times, but it\'s a b!tch to get it right and can smoke the clutch up something wicked while you get the hang of it. The great thing about the strip is that you can argue all day about what might work, but end of the day you get a printout which tells you the numbers of what actually does/did.

The timeslip tells the story anyway - if you can keep your 60ft times under 2 seconds then you\'re on the right track (for a 13ish second car) - my last VR4 nailled 1.7 60fts on sh!tty 205/40/17s with 50psi in them, just dumped it off the 8k limiter and laughed my ass off every time. That first launch-shift to 2nd is where you can make up or lose a buttload of time pretty much

The OTHER thing is that the traction on a prepped track is quite different to what you get on normal road - the technique you use on the road (for uh... whatever reason) might not work so great, the amazing trick your mate with the skyline uses might not work so good with your wrx - main thing is just dont be afraid to break it, if you\'re taking it easy you may as well not have bothered (unless you\'re just about beating the other guy, if you still win then in that who cares)