Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

speed cameras and demerits

just a question. has anyone ever been tried for going 51km/hr over the limit but been caught by a camera van and not a motorway patrol unit? I hear they dont issue demerits if you are caught via speed camera, however with the high end speeders wondering if the police and ministry of justice have ever tried to get someone here in court for speeding excessively but only caught by a speed cam?

• General Member

Someone else will know better but I think if you do something that can be classed as dangerous driving you may face more repercussions than a ticket. A friend of a friend got snapped 80 in a 50 sideways by a speedcamera and got done for Sustained loss of traction and went to court.

Had a mate who honestly is a bit dreamy I completely believe he didnt know how fast hes going he doesnt drive fast etc. Doing 92km in a 50km area past a camera. $630ish fine no demerits but was 4-5 years ago. In a corolla of all things and he had no idea till he got the bill lol.

• General Member
 LinnBoy said:

How would a camera identify a sideways vehicle?

They take a photo... His particular one that he is exceedingly proud of has him sideways with tyre smoke but you can still see the number plate. Hes a good driver not a D1GP backwards entry with 400KW good driver.

I have just heard stories where if a camera takes a snap shot of your mug doing anything 50km/hr over the limit, that the police will try and identify the driver from the shot and take them to court over it.

re: sideways... Must of been absolute bad luck they got the number plate on that shot, Ive only ever been snapped going frontways or backways ;) ba doom doom psssshhhhh

More than 40km over the limit you will get done the same as being pulled up by a cop, the owner of the vehicle get a summons and its up to them to prove it wasnt them driving if they wernt driving. Had this happen to my boss, being the company owner and the work car registered to the company it came back on him, he had to go to court and name the guy driving. He was lucky you could see the guys face in the speed camera pic and the guy owned up.

The guy lost his license for like 6 months or something.

The Bugatti Veyron can beat the camera........It Cant clock you over 380Kph................MythBusters. Jet car proved it.

But thats just stupid to even try it..............Yes you will get a summons if 40 Kph over the limit................Further if the court so decides they can take your car too.

Best place to race?........Track or Carclub event.....Infact thats the ONLY PLACE TO RACE.

soopersubaru said:

The Bugatti Veyron can beat the camera........It Cant clock you over 380Kph................MythBusters. Jet car proved it.

But thats just stupid to even try it..............Yes you will get a summons if 40 Kph over the limit................Further if the court so decides they can take your car too.

Best place to race?........Track or Carclub event.....Infact thats the ONLY PLACE TO RACE.

Depends on Camera..

Some new cameras are Laser sensor in which you need to be doing about Mach 1.5 to beat.

You get summonds if you over 40 odd kph. Mate did 100Kph in Bulls one nite. Cops came around to house, took licence and issued summonds.

soopersubaru said:

take your car? really? damn

or is that the boy racer issue. thought that was the 3 strike rule and only can impound the car if there is an officer present for the catch and kill of any racer