Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

How would I go about monitoring my engine outputs?

cpt kernow

I'd like a way of wiring something into the car so I can monitor what's going on

eg boost/rpm and mixture/rpm.

I know there's loads of jaycar kits for each aspect but I'd like to get something to plug in to my flaptop so I can monitor stuff and record it on the fly.

Don't necessarily want to adjust or remap anything.

Any ideas?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

openecu.org is a great place, have a good look there, they seem to know alot of stuff

also, i think the cables are availible on ebay, if carbon get rid of his befor you can get it hehehe :P

-smurff

• General Member

cant with what he's got (AFAIK)

AVC-r does injector cycle V throttle V boost V rpm V speed V one other I cant think of right now

not sure how that compares to others but is good

Theres actually a tool out im trying to find again that i cant remember what is called. You plug it in to your OBD plug and gives you rpms and fuel and you can clear and diagnose CELs and stuff. Once i find it ill post it up.

Guest dynofiend

Just for info, your 'mixture' readings will be next to useless as the car will be running a narrow band lambda, which is bascily only able to detect three mixture levels: lean/stoich/rich

What you would really need would be a wideband lambda, which are expensive, and probably really only needed for people running after market ECUs.

Also, just being a spoil sport here, but whats the point of being able to monitor all these things, if you cant do anything to change them? I suppose it might help diagnose problems, but then thats what your CEL is for eh ;)

Actually, on second thoughts, it might mean you can monitor your manifold pressure, so that if it gets too high, your floorpan doesnt unrivet itself and fill the cabin with sparks! :P

Guest keltik

Ive always wanted to find a way to make DANGER TO TEH MANIFOLD!!! flash on my dash lcd screen thing. If i can make it do that anytime i get into the red zone on the tacho - i would officially be the happiest man alive.

• General Member

have I missed something or is an APEXI AVC-r (or similar product) what he is looking for?

KISS principle - monitors many aspects and can display peak's and record limited outputs etc...

I use a wideband from Zeitronix, which comes equipped to handle other sensors such as boost. All the sensors are sent through their hardware and come out the other side as a much nicer serial interface for your PC/Laptop. Wideband cost me NZ$360, but the dollar was a bit better then. http://www.zeitronix.com. Works a charm for monitoring all the stuff you want, and their dash-units would be good if you wanted a more permanent monitoring option

• General Member
 keltik said:

Recommending because you just happen to be selling yours?

hah no!

but for all the fancy gizmo's listed so far, realistically are any needed?

other than a good set of 'normal' gauges?

JoKer']

[quote name='keltik said:

Recommending because you just happen to be selling yours?

/quote]

hah no!

but for all the fancy gizmo's listed so far, realistically are any needed?

other than a good set of 'normal' gauges?

Isnt a AVCr a normal gauge nowadays?

im wanting something to match the SSM in terms of reading data, mainly for trouble shooting.

I.e, have a random cutout- happens after about 1/2-1hr of driving, and even then, its completely random.

And trying to diagnose blind can be a cnut.

The guy wants mixture vs rpm though, which isn't available from anything but a wideband unit. If he wants boost vs rpm too he might as well get a wideband unit that does other logging, rather than just a wideband + avcr or scantool, which together would probably cost twice as much.

If he were after more sensor logging then it'd probably be worth while getting the scantool + the wideband.