Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Want to create a Sleeper Version 7 wrx, Total Newby so where to start ?

Hey guys,

Just wondering if I can get some advice on adding some mild tuning that will give it a bit more off the mark without going down the major tune road. I know its an open ended question, but basically I have a NZ New Bugeye Wrx non STI (stock standard). I was going to go down just the handling track so I have gone out and bought some Tein Control Master Type Flex suspension (yet to be fitted) and carbon STI front strut brace, but just wondering if there is any reflashing of the ECU or easy mods that can get gains in performance. Cheers

Ecu reflash FTW!!!! There are some MASSIVE improvements over stock to be had with a simple tune, a few basic intake mods and an exhaust system, and you can get some very quiet and subtle aftermarket units.

What area are you in? There are some people with the software to do a retune in basically every major center

You have a non sti wrx - cheapest way to get some easy upgrades is to upgrade to the sti parts yours missed out on

can pick up V7 intercoolers for cheap cheap and its a jump in size - same goes for the Y pipe underneath if yours has the skody plastic one, the nice flowy silicon/ali ones are an improvement

would this car come with td04 or is it a vfwhatever? Probably the best bang for $$ upgrade going to something decent if it comes with the midget one

Cheers for all the answers ! I just got on Strong for Subaru and see they sold out of v7 intercoolers, so il give them a buzz and see if they are wrecking some more. Are they easy to fit, bolt straight on sort of thing?.

Also been looking at removing the cat and fitting a downpipe aswell, are these useless without a full larger exhaust? Quite keen on it being on the quiet side, i know ya cant have it both ways ! :)

kwi_fozze said:

Ecu reflash FTW!!!! There are some MASSIVE improvements over stock to be had with a simple tune, a few basic intake mods and an exhaust system, and you can get some very quiet and subtle aftermarket units.

What area are you in? There are some people with the software to do a retune in basically every major center

Yea mate, on the Northshore, who do you recommend over there, as I\'ve also got to get my right side rocker cover gasket done. Cheers

SP00N said:

better exhaust

desnorkle the intake

possibly intake pipe

better intercooler

waterspray setup

reflash for some nice gains

electronic boost controller - optional but recomended

Hey mate, not sure if you are getting my PM, but keen as to grab some parts. Cheers

Marky said:

You have a non sti wrx - cheapest way to get some easy upgrades is to upgrade to the sti parts yours missed out on

can pick up V7 intercoolers for cheap cheap and its a jump in size - same goes for the Y pipe underneath if yours has the skody plastic one, the nice flowy silicon/ali ones are an improvement

would this car come with td04 or is it a vfwhatever? Probably the best bang for $$ upgrade going to something decent if it comes with the midget one

Drop an sti engine in with a fmic and paint it black. V8 sti tmic with scoop isnt very sleeper. Need bigger turbo etc and going to cost you more than an sti wouldve and damn its a homo idea to homofy a wrx with no scoop etc.

That ^^^ has no relevance to my quote hahaha

To be fair you could do a lot under $1k - VF22/3/30/whateverIdontknow for $300ish, reflash for $$beers, set of injectors for $200 tops - fmic kit and a second hand exhaust and you get a shedload more horseys safely (compared to just winding the td04 up on stock everything else) for not much folding stuff

I suppose the idea of "bang for your buck" depends on how much buck there is to use - for different price brackets theres smart and dumb ways to do everything

For what its worth I hate top mounts but it\'s a cheap upgrade upsizing it (even just for the added heat-sink ability) - I got my V7 one for a hundy... but it still cooks itself quite happily soon as the car stops moving - any top mount will no matter how amazing the scoop & duct etc is

• Admin

If you want a sleeper WRX, start with an STI, debadge it and put a smaller scoop on. Paint the Brembos grey and get spotlights.

You could spend a bomb on making a WRX faster and end up with basically a less reliable STI that cost a lot more.

IMO your best bet is spend on bang-for-buck handling upgrades like rear swaybar, ALK, that sort of thing. Maybe STi TMIC and a panel filter followed by a reflash but chasing much more power than a stock STI has will probably end in tears.

Only my 2c though.

Yep it did semi the sti upgrade touch but so unworthwhile when an sti can be had for lees than upgrades cost. i mean the idea of a sleeper is to have phenomenal underfoot power to annihilate people who actually have fast cars isnt it? Like a vtec in a mini etc.

cheers for all the info ! i had a good yarn with a guy of this forum tonight so learnt heaps today! decided im most likely gonna start with the ARC intercooler, 3" downpipe with coni freeflow mid pipe going into the stock muffler for now, I know that will keep it pretty tame and quiet, but Im gonna be on the look out for a vf30 (if thats the right one?). Gonna have a crack at bolting it all together this weekend haha !

Can anyone recommend someone in Auckland or on the North shore that can be a tune or do a ECU flash etc?

Again cheers for all the suggestions! what a mean forum!

vf30 is the v7 sti turbo, yep.

sp00n knows his s**t with tunes, i have a few tunes from guys in the USA, might be able to swap across a few tables to get it all working nicely, but i have basically no free time what with the working all weekends atm lol

http://www.possumbourne.co.nz/index.html These guys are reputable tuners.

I\'ve always thought of the possibility of a sleeper WRX/STI. Would be a right laugh getting dumped on by what looks like a mum\'s Impreza...

Probably could argue for a lower insurance too seeing as your car won\'t look as sought after to thieves ;D

Anyway, this has probably all been said but depends how sleeper you want to go...

• Replace boot lid with wingless
  • Replace bonnet with no scoop
  • Non-turbo bumper if you\'re lucky to find good condition in colour
  • De-badge, de-badge, de-badge
  • Front mount intercooler, painted black
  • Downpipe and midpipe, stock axleback
  • Upgrade fuel pump (not sure whether injectors are gonna cope too, depending on how many ponies you are chasing)
  • Stock ECU reflash (will be necessary after above mods)
  • Rear sway
  • Better brake pads