Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Baffled sump

AdamOst

Its kinda like the movie Inception, there\'s a tube, within a box (with gates/flaps), within the body of the winged sump.

Actually a photo is worth a thousand words here;

sump_9.jpg

I\'d put flaps or hinged gates over those holes in the square bit.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Johnnynz said:

And the oil pickup goes into the tube ensuring any oil in the sump is trapped there for the pickup?

Yep. I also think the square bit needs to be sealed against the four corners of the sump to create a front, rear and two side sections outside of the square bit. So then the oil outside of that cannot just swirl around the outside, it has to go in through the flaps towards the centre (on the side where the G-forces are pushing the oil towards the centre.

sump002.jpg

funkytown said:

20121124_154414.jpg

At a glance, that looks like it would actually restrict the volume of oil available to the pickup during hard cornering?

Does that flat surface at the bottom sit flat against the bottom of the sump? If it does, then imagine the car cornering hard, the oil will be trapped inside the square against the outside flap but the oil in the sump needs to get up and over that 20mm wall to get into the centre section. If that square isn\'t sealed against the inside of the sump in each corner, then the oil on the outside is mostly going to flow around this square thing to get to the outside wing of the sump. Path of least resistance etc.

In saying that, the one at the bottom wouldn\'t be much better and it makes me wonder how I built mine? Hopefully I took some photo\'s so I can check :-[

Man reading all of this has made me ultra paranoid about killing motors

I know I don\'t have a hope of cornering that hard it would starve it, but the old foofoo valve still does the old 5c / 50c / 5c routine on a real tight / high speed bend and makes you wonder a little

Marky said:

Youre not the only mate! Im looking at dry sumps now but that may be getting a bit ott for the occasional track day

• General Member
 jazza']

[quote name='Marky said:

/quote]

Youre not the only mate! Im looking at dry sumps now but that may be getting a bit ott for the occasional track day

I reckon it is. I think its one of those things that unless your lunching engines left and right its probably over the top.

I might even keep the stock sump and do the .5l overfill with street tyres. Its served me well so far. I just wanted to go to Semi slicks.

I ran 0.5L overfill for years on street tyres and a couple of times on semi\'s through many, many trackdays. Never lost a motor at the track apart from the time I split a powersteering hose and the engine bay caught fire...

• 6 months later...

Has anybody used the Racefab sumps? They charge $600 to modify your factory sump, increasing capacity to 6.5L and adding 4 gates. They then recommend utilising a Cosworth baffle control/windage plate to complete the setup.

How would this compare with the likes of the Macbilt or mitchell motorsport options??

Cheers.

nismovzr2003 said:

Has anybody used the Racefab sumps? They charge $600 to modify your factory sump, increasing capacity to 6.5L and adding 4 gates. They then recommend utilising a Cosworth baffle control/windage plate to complete the setup.

How would this compare with the likes of the Macbilt or mitchell motorsport options??

Cheers.

Just ignore funky, she has her period.

Macbilt\'s sump doesn\'t increase capacity and will fit with any headers. So that\'s a big difference.

No idea how this one actually performs though... so can\'t compare in that respect... I personally would

go with a proven solution and forget about money.

loner']

[quote name='funkytown said:

well your completely wrong, macbilt sump to increase capacity.

/quote]

Wrong... I have had 2... they don\'t.

perhaps you are being way to generic and adding little value to OP in this instance, comparisons you cant qualify and specifications that relate to no particular model.

I also have two and they are larger and dont fit all headers.

funkytown']

[quote name='funkytown said:

well your completely wrong, macbilt sump to increase capacity.

/quote]

Wrong... I have had 2... they don\'t.

perhaps you are being way to generic and adding little value to OP in this instance, comparisons you cant qualify and specifications that relate to no particular model.

I also have two and they are larger and dont fit all headers.

Then perhaps they do more than one type... and I made more of an effort to be helpful than you.

loner']

[quote name='ballsrburning said:

ill answer the question the only proven solution is dry sump?

which I am now seriously considering.

/quote]

define "proven"... and the answer is no... even they can fail...

They are less likely to fail than a baffled sump system. I guess all the race cars using the dry sump system are wasting their money too and may as well stick to a baffled sump.

ballsrburning']

[quote name='ballsrburning said:

ill answer the question the only proven solution is dry sump?

which I am now seriously considering.

/quote]

define "proven"... and the answer is no... even they can fail...

They are less likely to fail than a baffled sump system. I guess all the race cars using the dry sump system are wasting their money too and may as well stick to a baffled sump.

All oil delivery systems can fail... nothing is proven 100%... you were the one that started the anal retentive tone. macbilt sumps have been proven to work.

funkytown said:

can you give a quantitative measure of \'proven to work\'? and the other options to rank them accordingly please.

dont get me wrong, i run a macbilt sump... but its tooootaly subjective.

Ok, my definition of "proven"... I have used one for many high lateral g-force events and had no oil pressure issues.

Others I know of have used them with no oil pressure issues... I don\'t know of anyone ever having oil pressure issues

while using macbilt sumps for racing purposes. That\'s proven enough for me...