Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Baffled sump

AdamOst

funkytown said:

like the discussions previously about sumps and surge tanks and the like,

is a pure cost vs risk profile thing. if you can afford to do it, if you cant you start risking an expensive motor.

nothing is a 100% solution though.

Dry sump... ;D

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

funkytown said:

Is also not a 100% solution. Sorry

Looking at the moroso range, what do people recommend?

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?CatCode=11965

I was thinking the first one (20965) however this appears to have less capacity than factory?

20965 - $$1,145.00

20966 - $636.00

20968 - $1,185.00

All prices from Fourtyone Automotive

loner said:

Get the macbilt sump. no idea why you\'d want to buy some mass produced s*** when you can support the local industry... especially when the local stuff is just as good and comparable price.

its probably fair pointing out at this point that morosso will come with a global brand reputation. Where as Macbilt outside of Wellington will appear as an unknown thing with no brand reputation.

Yes i can see your advocating the Macbilt brand (and i do too) but to an outsider i guess it might appear just as \'internet says so\' kind of talk that you normally strongly dislike.

i dont disagree with you, im just saying thats how it might appear.

nismovzr2003 said:

Anyone got any pics of the macbilt one\'s? Anyone had any experience with the Micthell Motorsport one\'s?

my build thread there are quite a few. Im using a Hyperflow \'outer shell\' but they are identical otherwise. Sl8rs runs a macbilt outer so i know they are near enough to identical outers - it lives in my garage.

We got macbilt to add gating to ours also - hence they come in a few different flavours if you request it.

funkytown']

[quote name='nismovzr2003 said:

Anyone got any pics of the macbilt one\'s? Anyone had any experience with the Micthell Motorsport one\'s?

/quote]

my build thread there are quite a few. Im using a Hyperflow \'outer shell\' but they are identical otherwise. Sl8rs runs a macbilt outer so i know they are near enough to identical outers - it lives in my garage.

We got macbilt to add gating to ours also - hence they come in a few different flavours if you request it.

I wouldn\'t even know where to start in your thread, so many pages lol

So looks like macbilt is around $1000 +GST and no engine removal needed, Moroso ~$1150 inc GST, not sure if engine removal needed. Looks like its much of a muchness then, Buy from proven American brand, or buy proven local NZ company ha.

AdamOst said:

So looks like macbilt is around $1000 +GST and no engine removal needed, Moroso ~$1150 inc GST, not sure if engine removal needed. Looks like its much of a muchness then, Buy from proven American brand, or buy proven local NZ company ha.

support local bro

Im going to pay someone to do it since I dont have a garage, but non engine removal makes it cheaper in labour costs I assume :) PBMS said itd be around 2 hours labour to swap, at least for a stock one. Stock headers I do have. Another company said its be around $450 though.

Subtech said ~250+GST or around 3 hours.

funkytown said:

they all say, no motor removal required.

In practice - a TOTAL ARSE FACE BASTARD ***t to try and do with the engine in the car. WORSE if you have aftermarket headers.

just saying as i\'ve been there.

+1

Yeah you CANNOT physically fit a macbilt one to a version 7 (fyi) without removing the headers. We ended up just removing the engine as I\'d rather do that than the headers tbh.

You can get the factory one on and off but you can\'t get the right angle getting the bigger one back on.

The design of the moroso is very similar to the \'standard\' macbilt one, just looks prettier as they are \'mass produced\' instead of \'retrofitted\'. I doubt there is any difference in performance between the two

Random thing thrown in for kicks

I was reading about a swinging pickup being used in an sr20 the other day - same as what some road bikes use?

Has merit, seems like a waste when there\'s ^ those options I guess but hey

Slightly off topic but , I looked at a baffled sump when I did my rebuild , I discussed it with several people that build hi-performance engines and spent a lot of time researching different options and pro\'s / con\'s of various sumps.

End conclusion , for the $$ spent on a baffled sump there was little to be gained over the stock sump and every potential of creating more risk of oil starvation.

I ended up fitting a twin scroll sump kit which is a vast improvement over the single scroll item.

Just my opinion from my own research. ;D

nismovzr2003 said:

I run a mitchell motorsport sump on my race car, had no issues over 2 years of racing. They are pretty much a copy of a much more expensive sump.