Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Tuning aftermarket ecu?

Dont jump down my throat and say you cant do it if you dont know etc/blah.

Im just wondering if anyone knows of a website/forum or similar that gives a good run down on understanding how to tune/adjust aftermarket ecus primarily G4. Ive got Subaru tuning newbie guide but after something more relevant to aftermarket systems.

You pretty much just need to be able to read knock and be running a wideband but is there anything else?

Do you want to know how to operate the link soft ware ?or are you asking what numbers and etc you are aiming for for best performance ,

First one is self explanatory

2nd one , well if we all new that wed all have super fast cars and all the dyno shops would be out of business

94 Leone']

have you tried Link?

This guy^^ ::) I found the link G4 manual someone had converted to pdf instead of online which is stickied on here now and am reading through it but not quite what Im after.

[quote name='loner said:

I\'m sure there are some good books out there... don\'t try and learn the specifics of any particular ECU

before you understand the concepts of tuning.

Yip thats the idea just want to get my head around whats happening/how to improve it not become a greatness and make monies out of it.

Its not exactly easy aye. I dont even have a turbo and would struggle to make anything like a decent tune. Had a go with the new motor before i took it to the dyno. Got everything nice and drivable but it still wasnt a patch on what a real tuner could do in 10 mins.

Theres just too many variables for me to be comfortable trying to set them all up on the road. Its like a million times easier when you can just hold a set load and speed and adjust with accurate feedback (i.e on rollers).

gotasuby said:

If you have any questions about tuning I\'m more than happy to help where I can ;)

Any chance of a quick run down where to start and finish when you have time? Ive been looking at quicktune but when do you start winding in timing? Planning on getting a wideband within the next week or two so I can start looking at it. You wouldnt have a map with decaps on it so I have a better starting point to play with?

Doesn\'t the link site have base maps, in stages, which you can then modify? They also have run-throughs about where to start the tuning.. safely.

If they don\'t, someone will.. there is screeds of info out there... you really need to learn what and how each part of the system work first though, the theory. And you have to learn this really well, a good clear understanding about every system.

Then, you need to learn how they interact and react on the road... and you need to understand this really clearly..

That\'s where you should start.

If you want to learn, look at manufacturers "technical training manuals".. they are different to workshop manuals.. they tell you how the components and systems work. that are online and the manufacturers all use the same stuff, just in different combinations, it\'s all the same though... I\'ll post a toyota site with tech training manuals... this is the sort of stuff you need to study..

http://www.autoshop101.com/autoshop15.html

evowrx']

[quote name='gotasuby said:

If you have any questions about tuning I\'m more than happy to help where I can ;)

/quote]

Any chance of a quick run down where to start and finish when you have time? Ive been looking at quicktune but when do you start winding in timing? Planning on getting a wideband within the next week or two so I can start looking at it. You wouldnt have a map with decaps on it so I have a better starting point to play with?

Well you have a running car already so its alot easier. first thing i usually do is pull a couple of degrees timing from 100kpa up to make sure i dont get any det. Then if you have put in bigger injectors you pull back the master fuel. from say it was 15ms with 440 to 8ms with 950cc injectors.

Start the car with a wideband and see if the AFR is around 12-13ish at idle. if it higher or lower adjust the master fuel to suit. warm the car up and drive around carefully adjusting the master to keep the AFR withen the 13-15 range, all off bost low load and rpm of coarse. Once fully warmed up sit at a cruise speed and adjust the master fuel to get 14.6-15.5AFR. once done go to the fuel map and change load cells and rpm and adjust to AFR below 50kpa to 14.6-15.5. between 50-100 you want afr of 14.5-14.8 from 100-150 i usually aim for 13-13.5.

150-200, 12-12.5. from 200-275 you want anywhere from 12.3afr for a strong forged motor with fmic to 11.5 for a motor that is older and you want to look after with cooler cyl temps.

remember to load it up use brakes and have someone you trust to drive while doing this. \'Z\' will mark cells as tuned when selected and helps alot. once fueling is all set you can look at timing but will need a good knock can setup. with 95-98 etc i usually tune to the onset of knock and pull 1-3 degrees depending on the car. again on each load cell.

there are plenty of other settings and adjustments but it would take me all day to explain.

This will give you a good insight into tuning car with upgraded injectors and remember richer is safer then lean it out

• 2 weeks later...