Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Snorkelectomy how too?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hhmm... if i can be bothered soon, ill take some pics... if i remember right, the little intake scoop over teh radiator becomes useless and ur filter just sucks air from your inner gaurd... dont know if it will make it much louder for you.

-smurff

This is what I did sometime ago. I took the plastic bulb thingy out cut the end off had it plastic welded up for about $10.00 from the jokers that repair plastic bumpers then put it back in. It's basically now just a U shape from the standard air intake to the air filter box.

PictureA.jpg

PictureB.jpg

PictureC.jpg

Yeah alot better than paying US $200 for the same type of thing I saw on a Yank web site. That's where I got the idea from.

But seriously personally I think it made a difference. Not a huge thing but I also got Zerosports pipe past the air flow meter. I suppose it all adds up in the end. I keep using ths standard Subaru air panel for $26 you can't beat it. Get a good sound from it gives it a bit of purpose but wasn't after sounds anyway.

Just hacksaw it off. I live on the North Shore, Auckland mate any one that does plastic welding can do it. I had mine back in a hour.

rsb_leggy said:

I think I know the website your talking about Ive got one of those intake pipes too. shiney things lol like you say it all adds up.where was the plastic welder you went to?did you just use a hacksaw to get it off?

There's a place on Great South Rd in Takanini that does plastic welding. Can't remember the name though sorry.

MINTGTB']

[quote name='brock said:

the reason i want to do it is to get the nice turbo spooling noise and make the factory BOV louder lol

/quote]

oh dear...

What's wrong with that chris? :P The only reason they have the bloody things in there is cause when they sell these cars new, they are selling to a broader market that do not want to know what a turbo is, and would think the BOV noise means "somethings broken"

I think of parts like the snorkus as "nana-spec" parts, put there to please everyone.

ReubenH']

[quote name='brock said:

the reason i want to do it is to get the nice turbo spooling noise and make the factory BOV louder lol

/quote]

oh dear...

What's wrong with that chris? :P The only reason they have the bloody things in there is cause when they sell these cars new, they are selling to a broader market that do not want to know what a turbo is, and would think the BOV noise means "somethings broken"

I think of parts like the snorkus as "nana-spec" parts, put there to please everyone.

boyracer mentality bro.. :P

MINTGTB']

[quote name='brock said:

/quote]

oh dear...

boyracer mentality bro.. :P

hahaha at least someone understands 8) ;D :D

on the end of the intake pipe, were it goes in the gaurd, theres a bit on that inside the gaurd. tht is what you need to remove

-smurff

Ha even though I've cut mine out the only noise I get is a bit of induction type noise. Doesn't make my BOV make any noises. All I wanted is better airflow but still keep the system pretty stock. Wasn't looking to get boyracer noises. The snorkel thing is there more to keep the induction noise down for the little old ladies. Cleaner airflow has to be better!!!

Guest dynofiend

That chamber is whats known as a helmholtz resonator. Its not usually just there to reduce intake noise (although it can be), they often help reduce unhelpful standing waves within the intake system, which in turn can help filling of the cylinders off boost, or in NA engines.

So it cn make ur ride fasta leavin it in innit.