Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

How much oil & coolant fits?

Hey guys, I'm about to service the DeForester and am just wondering how much oil and coolant fits in each respective system? I currently have 4l of 10w-40 Castrol and 4l of coolant (super long life stuff/concertrated). This enough?

Cheers

If your Forestor is a Turbo then you will need 4.5 liters of oil to fill.

Coolant system is about 7.2 liters, the coolant to water ratio would be 50/50.

I would use demineralized water as opposed to tap water, mainly because I'm anal.

boostin said:

And have fun getting all the air bubbles out of the cooling system!!

Had terminal successive coolant hose failure recently, replace/bleed/fail/replace/bleed/fail/replace/bleed/fail

F#$KN headache.

BC5RA']

[quote name='boostin said:

And have fun getting all the air bubbles out of the cooling system!!

/quote]

Had terminal successive coolant hose failure recently, replace/bleed/fail/replace/bleed/fail/replace/bleed/fail

F#$KN headache.

This due to the above air bubbles or just the hoses being full of suck?

Sweet, well another day has gone by and I still havnt gotten round to servicing the car haha, but now at least I have my motorcycle license! I can finally stop spending so much money on buses and parking at uni!

BC5RA said:

An airlock could certainly cause failure in weakened hoses, but in my case it was just time they were replaced.

7 in total.

hehehe I so had this as well

I blew top radiator hose,replaced it then blew the hose to the heater core(replaced both as they sucky to get to)

then one of the ones under the intake manifold,

then bit bullet and did whole shibang

• 7 months later...
 RS.YES said:

Is it that hard to service the radiator and coolant in all turbo subies? Damn was planning to do the same but after reading this think I might actually take it in, haha seems like a waste of time just doing 1 thing.

No its very easy...just have to be patient with the bleeding process...or find a nice hill...

• 3 weeks later...
 G-unit said:

any tips for a easy bleed for when i have 2 redo mine? should i fill her up with water/antifreeze and let runs with cap off?

yeah basically do what you said, preferably on a slight uphill i find helps, but i've never had trouble with bleeding subarus like some people seem to, just make sure you let it run for a long time to be sure all air is out.

• 2 weeks later...
 BC5RA said:

If your Forestor is a Turbo then you will need 4.5 liters of oil to fill.

Coolant system is about 7.2 liters, the coolant to water ratio would be 50/50.

I would use demineralized water as opposed to tap water, mainly because I'm anal.

Do you know what the capacities would be of my 2001 STi Spec C? I've just put in 3.5L of coolant concentrate with the idea that I'd top it up with the same amount of water so I get a roughly 50/50 mix. After putting in about 250ml of water it's pretty much full now and it's not going down very fast any more.

However I haven't started the car to start running it through, so I'm assuming it will go down a lot once it's running and the coolant starts flowing through the engine and radiator?

Guest boostin

From full dry they're about 7 litres. From a drain with pulling out the thermostat they take about 5.5L. How did you drain yours?

Scoobydoo said:

Yeah, just means I'll have an extra concentrated mix haha.. all good!

depends if you had a proper 50/50 mix to begin with. most cars i test at work have very very low levels of glycol/antifreeze even though they look fine in colour. better to have too much than not enough though ay. most places do very weak mixes to save themselves cash lol.