Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

TD05 turbo issue need advice

slystiguy

Hey looking for a bit of advice here. So I basically just finished "bolting on" my new twisted setup which is a td05h 18g. I had this thing running maybe 3mins and it was leaking oil out the bottom of the loosely bolted downpipe. So one would assume a leaking turbo. I\'ve ripped it all apart this afternoon to find no oil on the turbine wheel at all. And also noticed a very tiny crack in the exhaust housing with a weird patch of fresh rust between the join.

Now my question is basically is my turbo ok then? It was making some strange noises when running and it smoked quite badly under any sort of boost. I\'m probably going to rebuild it just to be safe but I\'m starting to wonder if something else could be the cause of the issue.

Also is there anything I should do or check while the turbo is off the car to make sure it\'s getting correct amounts of oil/water flow or anything in that area which is easily accessible with the turbo off ?

See the photos below

Leaking out of downpipe (surely this much oil would be a give away?)

20140124_192811_zps52f62988.jpg

rust spot

20140202_150301_zps5e78ecbf.jpg

Small crack (does this justify replacing the exhaust housing?)

20140202_150157_zps3db95e48.jpg

20140202_150221_zps7fe258f1.jpg

Cheers

no play side to side or front to back. Both wheels in good condition no damage to the fins. It was boosting but smoking quite badly and the obvious leak out the downpipe. I was wondering if maybe it had just burnt off the wheel as I did take it around the block before I tore down. I used the banjos that came with it from the setup in his car. Didn\'t turn engine over before starting? Haven\'t done that on my previous turbo installs and never had an issue though. This is a small amount of evidence on the cover but I guess I thought there would be more.

Seller is on here and I doubt he knew as he\'s pretty genuine and the setup hasn\'t been used in years. Plus I got a pretty sweet deal over all

Any thoughts on the tiny crack and small amount of rust on the housings?

Video of it running you can hear it struggling towards the end of rev range -

The engine has a bit of blow by so isn\'t in the best condition but it was running fine on the standard setup so I doubt it will be the engine considering I\'ve had it running barely 5mins and only about 3 actual boosts . I already got the kit on the way so I will open it up tomorrow and see what the go is. Does seem strange it was dripping out the down ipe and now there\'s nothing on the wheel though

Undo the compressor wheel and remove then gentle tap the turbine out its not \'\'hard\'\' lachlan

2 ring spanners is all you need.

They are not reverse thread so just undo the nut in the ordinary fashion.

You will be able to see if oil is bi passing the turbine. as Clint said it can and will likely leak when stored etc this is because the oil ring needs oil pressure to seal, but there should not be oil coming out your downpipe from this which to me indicates there is turbo failure. Remove and inspect the oil ring for wear, also inspect the housing as the oil seal can chew out the housing making the turbo \'\'non rebuildable\'\' the Crack housing is proof the turbo has had a hard life.

Yea I had the exhaust bolted on (not sealed) just to test out the note an had it running a few mins when it started leaking out. turned it off then about a week later I took it around the block to see what it would run like with the turbo issue and it boosts but makes funny noises and doesn\'t sound happy as per the video.Check out the first photo that\'s what it looked like. I wondered about the return line as well but it was hose clipped on tight I checked.

Pull your dipstick out and blow into the Turbo\'s Oil Return Pipe, see if it\'s clear. Do the same with the Water Feed/Return. Check and clean all Banjo\'s/Banjo filters if you have them. Could be a blocked Oil Return Banjo Bolt?

Those cracks could be from the V-band being over tightened, but looks like more hairline cracks throughout the Housing. It\'s gotten pretty dang hot at some stage, or as said has had a \'hard life\'...

My latest \'oil leaking turbo\' had no shaft play at the front end, then very slight (1mm play) at the back.

Rosssub said:

Pull your dipstick out and blow into the Turbo\'s Oil Return Pipe, see if it\'s clear. Do the same with the Water Feed/Return. Check and clean all Banjo\'s/Banjo filters if you have them. Could be a blocked Oil Return Banjo Bolt?

Those cracks could be from the V-band being over tightened, but looks like more hairline cracks throughout the Housing. It\'s gotten pretty dang hot at some stage, or as said has had a \'hard life\'...

My latest \'oil leaking turbo\' had no shaft play at the front end, then very slight (1mm play) at the back.

The v band bolt flange bends before it does anything to the housing.

Right so turbo kit arrived today. Started taking it apart and have some photos below. There doesn\'t look to be any "oil" behind the wheel but under the cover there\'s heaps of caked on grime stuff. Would that indicate a blown seal?

20140204_185438_zpsbb6515d2.jpg

20140204_185509_zpsd23b7fc2.jpg

What you guys think?

found out the compressor wheel was damaged. Thinking this might have been the cause of the weird boost problems. Ended up taking to a turbo shop to get new wheel and balance done a bit gutted to have to spend that much extra on what should have been a good turbo but at least it will be fixed and reliable for the future