Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Stock locating aftermarket Turbos

johnny5

Ok so looking for info to help me and possibly everyone else wondering about the best possible stock locating aftermarket turbos. And also if you have results with the turbo and supporting mods

Right now Im looking in the avo direction

http://www.avoturbo.com/pdf/avo_450STI_turbo_01.pdf

I have reached the limit of my stock set up so all usual mods have been done already looking to go FMIC, bigger injectors bigger SLT and stock ecu tune

Anyone got any experience with anything else

Decap your injectors which will take them to 840-50cc ish, go the bolt on GT3071 with internal or external gate on housing, fmic, and tune the stock ecu with carberry rom which makes it S/D which was the way of the future years ago.

GT3071 with 60mm or smaller turbine is proven on so many cars overseas and in NZ also Im just not a fan of it being a throwaway item hence why boons one is so good for the money.

Need to think about how far you want to push your block also.

evowrx said:

Decap your injectors which will take them to 840-50cc ish, go the bolt on GT3071 with internal or external gate on housing, fmic, and tune the stock ecu with carberry rom which makes it S/D which was the way of the future years ago.

GT3071 with 60mm or smaller turbine is proven on so many cars overseas and in NZ also Im just not a fan of it being a throwaway item hence why boons one is so good for the money.

Need to think about how far you want to push your block also.

not any further than say 250\60 taw didn\'t know boon was selling one either

evowrx said:

VF34 and decaps then...its not much further than a decent tune with what you have.

Murch does what i have in my garage thread. Well thats one of the options.

I will be doing some EGBP testing soon so will let you know.

I saw boons results with the 34 I just want that lil bit extra up top as well saw the 34 run out after 6krpm

Ninja 8) said:

My old apexi with ported p20 exh..im sure that would perform better then 34 with a tune which i never had...might be able to talk the owner into selling since hes swapping longblocks.

Think marc got 240wkw when he had it on the pd

I just picked up a p20 housing to just incase i went this way as well

johnny5']

[quote name='evowrx said:

VF34 and decaps then...its not much further than a decent tune with what you have.

Murch does what i have in my garage thread. Well thats one of the options.

I will be doing some EGBP testing soon so will let you know.

/quote]I saw boons results with the 34 I just want that lil bit extra up top as well saw the 34 run out after 6krpm

No car is the same dude other people have had higher. Unsure if he was running P18 or P20. Easier and cheaper ways to gain the 20-30wkw you want. Just throw on water/meth or raise your expectations to 260-280wkw and go GT3071 for when you get that forged block and push it up to 300wkw.

• Admin

Mine will not fit in the stock location on a RHD car. And I suspect neither will the vast majority of US-market stock location turbos.

You\'ll also need to get a bigger under-manifold intake pipe if you put a turbo worth a damn on there.

And all of a sudden it makes quite a bit of sense to just go twisted. If you\'re twisted with a FMIC it\'s not overly hard to get everything in there.

Logan - this is true for SS set ups.

As i know BT runs a 3076r sized unit in TS arrangement with factory location set up ok.

granted he has enlarged intake, raised manifold, aftermarket DP and is set up for FMIC, not TMIC*.

* edit appears it was FMIC but went back to TMIC when he did 2.0 build..

*edit pic

turbo3.jpg

On a GD chassis too

evowrx said:

Twisted is the way forward but will cost a few bob to do it.

ultimately yes, but you have to go lots custom on a Subaru for it.. sucks tbh but gt3540 bolt on like 4g63\'s just aint easy. its REALLY hard, and really $ and you have to really want it on a road going Subaru... there aint much going back from it

• Admin
 funkytown said:

Logan - this is true for SS set ups.

As i know BT runs a 3076r sized unit in TS arrangement with factory location set up ok.

granted he has enlarged intake, raised manifold, aftermarket DP and is set up for FMIC, not TMIC*.

* edit appears it was FMIC but went back to TMIC when he did 2.0 build..

*edit pic

turbo3.jpg

On a GD chassis too

Sorry I forgot to caveat that... if you buy UK stuff from RCM or Scoobyclinic it should fit, because it\'s made for RHD cars.

But you pay a premium.

Contact BT for RCM and Glen (subout) for Scoobyclinic.

• Admin
 funkytown']

Twisted is the way forward but will cost a few bob to do it.

/quote]

ultimately yes, but you have to go lots custom on a Subaru for it.. sucks tbh but gt3540 bolt on like 4g63\'s just aint easy. its REALLY hard, and really $ and you have to really want it on a road going Subaru... there aint much going back from it

Yep, the list of sh!t I\'ve had to modify is getting ridiculous.

Up-pipe

Downpipe

Wastegate

Intake pipe

Turbo oil feed

AVCS oil feed (braided replacement)

Manifold bracket on driver\'s side

Boost solenoid arrangement

Breather hoses

Water hoses

Top tank relocation

Power steering lines

Heat shielding for pretty much everything in there

EDIT: Having done it once though, if I were to do it again I would just buy the list of parts I have now, rather than trying like 3 different approaches every time in order to get something that a. fits b. works c. doesn\'t leak

• Admin
 evowrx said:

Idk why sinco arent doing a matched up/downpipe built to a jig with flanges of your choice. Send them your turbo to build it. Maybe they are? Racefab do iirc.

Because different front covers, different turbine housing sizes etc etc each need a different approach. Especially on GD, there\'s bugger all room in that hole when you consider the brake booster, steering components, clutch master cylinder, power steer lines etc etc...

boon']

Idk why sinco arent doing a matched up/downpipe built to a jig with flanges of your choice. Send them your turbo to build it. Maybe they are? Racefab do iirc.

/quote]

Because different front covers, different turbine housing sizes etc etc each need a different approach. Especially on GD, there\'s bugger all room in that hole when you consider the brake booster, steering components, clutch master cylinder, power steer lines etc etc...

I get that but if you set it up for a holset comp cover you can pretty much fit anything in there. Turbine housing isnt so much of an issue but again just make the jig with a monster rear housing. Steering stuff is all in the same place isnt it?

So make it fit the worst one? Im sure it could be done even if it was a rough/half jig so it didnt need half as much custom fab every time. Perrin/state lads do them but doubt they would fit our cars and cost gold coated moonbeams.

For 250-260wkw its hardly worth it just strap on a TD06 or similar the avcs will spool it nicely anyway.

I have one with a 3" front cover and 20g comp wheel. Made 231kw on 17 psi on a v3 Sti motor with same size injectors. Ur v7 short block should be able to hamdle a bit more boost than that. Will go quite nice. I hold that boost to redline.