Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Air Con not working

It\'s never worked since I purchased the car over 6 months ago now. I\'m one of those guys who will have the window down regardless of weather simply because I prefer the fresh natural air than recirculating it through vents around a small enclosed space - I think you\'ll know what I\'m on about here. But I\'ve got a list of things on this car which I want to get fixed up and figured I\'d see if I could get this one ticked off the list.

Anyway, I was told by the guy I bought it off that his garage \'unplugged\' something and ever since it hadn\'t worked, but worked fine prior. Not too sure how accurate this info is, but could make sense to one of you.

The display works fine, can adjust the temp/fan speed/AC (on/off) etc. Even when it\'s silent & listen carefully you can hear the vents moving/adjusting/doing something behind the dash.

Now, I don\'t know a thing about air con, hence this thread. Can anyone shed any light on what could possibly be the issue here?

TL;DR - Air con/fans aren\'t working, why not?

Thanks in advance team!

Ben.

kwi_fozze']

Theres a little white plug on the top of the a/c unit...

However, having not been used for a while, it may need a regas

[quote name='JoKer said:

re gss it, from roughly $65

Sweet, so you guys saying it could simply be a regas as opposed to something not being connected/broken/dead? Or both?

bnneie said:

It\'s not blowing at all isn\'t it, no fan/blower? Re-Gas would be if it\'s not blowing cold enough? Or does it stop working if it loses pressure?

There\'s an Air Con Relay and 2 Fan Fuses in the Engine Bay Fuse Box. One might be missing/Blown? Or hotwire 12v to the Blower Motor and see if it works?

Rosssub']

[quote name='bnneie said:

/quote]

It\'s not blowing at all isn\'t it, no fan/blower? Re-Gas would be if it\'s not blowing cold enough? Or does it stop working if it loses pressure?

There\'s an Air Con Relay and 2 Fan Fuses in the Engine Bay Fuse Box. One might be missing/Blown? Or hotwire 12v to the Blower Motor and see if it works?

Correct, nothing at all.

I\'m actually quite happy to have no air-con, just want the interior heater fans to work.

I think the fuses are all good.

• Admin

The fans would surely still work if it had just the charge dropped. Just wouldn\'t be cold. Sounds like something else isn\'t quite right. Yea find a fridgy in auckland. I\'m down in tga so not much use to you. $200 for a hundred grams or so is the biggest rip ever.

I\'ll check the heater fan motor out and see what\'s going on there, think that will be the issue - I am really not bothered about the air con, but I do want to get the fans working.

I\'d put 12 volts straight to the Fan Motor (Blower Motor) first, see if the Motor\'s ok.

If it works with external 12v, check all Fan Fuses in Engine Bay Fuse Box. If they\'re ok?

Check all Fuses in the Drivers Foot Well.

Then check the Fan Relay on drivers side (small Relay near Fuse Box). If there is Power at the Relay and Relay is working. Then must be a Faulty Air Con/Heater Control Box.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9eCmZxyvzwrrrboMgLV6

2008-12-30_043308_86461936.gif

Edit:

Up to (afaik) 93, had a Bower Motor Resistor. When this goes the Fans will only work on High. Aftermarket replacement Blower Motor Resistors are about $55. But the Climate Control type units don\'t use this resistor.

• General Member
 madmike']

[quote name='JoKer said:

/quote]

Wtf where do you get a regas that cheap?

I know a fridgey

Gotta watch those fridgy\'s they is dodgy blokes!!!!

Quoted for Truth... I remember this one dodgy bugger on top of my store swearing his head off on a warm Xmas eve :D

Johnnynz']

[quote name='JoKer said:

/quote]

Wtf where do you get a regas that cheap?

I know a fridgey

Gotta watch those fridgy\'s they is dodgy blokes!!!!

Quoted for Truth... I remember this one dodgy bugger on top of my store swearing his head off on a warm Xmas eve :D

That\'s funny.. I seem to remember a store manager hiding in his office.....

• 4 weeks later...

Fan blower motor now re-wired and I have air coming through my vents - Turned out to be a wiring fault under the dash.

But, if the heaters are on a high temperature, it doesn\'t get hot.

Ideas?

bnneie said:

Fan blower motor now re-wired and I have air coming through my vents - Turned out to be a wiring fault under the dash.

Ideas?

Blocked Heater Core or Coolant Bypassed?

bnneie said:

Ideas?

Another wiring fault? :P

Rosssub']

[quote name='bnneie said:

Ideas?

/quote]

Blocked Heater Core or Coolant Bypassed?

Yeah I\'m suspecting a blocked heater core.

Recommendations on getting it flushed?