Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Catch Can Return Line

nismovzr2003

Hey Guys,

I\'m aware of some previous discussion regarding vented to atmosphere Catch Cans. I\'ve had a custom catch can running for sometime now and was looking to have the the drain fitting hooked back into the sump. I\'ve seen some pictures of guys plumbing them into the oil drain sump plug port by using a braided line with either a banjo bolt or -10AN to metric adapter.

Is this method acceptable, or is there another place preferred to plumb into the sump?

Having the catch can return any fluids back into the sump, will this negate the requirement to have a breather running off of the catch can? Or is this still required but plumbed in else where as I\'m under the impression vented to atmosphere catch cans are no longer aloud?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

When I empty my Catch Can out I get mainly condensation residue (yellow oily crud). I wouldn\'t be draining back to the Sump. Sort of defeats the purpose of the Can too, instead of the Crud going through the Intake it\'s now going back into the Crank Case.

VTA is not a WOF fail yet, but soon will be afaik???

Your Block needs to breath, either back to intake (cleaned via Can) or VTA.

Edit: I brought a small Cusco Can without a Drain Fitting at the Base. If I got one I was planning to fit a small Tap, with a length of hose fitted for draining. Running the hose down the Firewall to behind the F/R Wheel, then just slide a bowl/tray under the car and flip the Tap to drain it.

Rosssub said:

When I empty my Catch Can out I get mainly condensation residue (yellow oily crud). I wouldn\'t be draining back to the Sump. Sort of defeats the purpose of the Can too, instead of the Crud going through the Intake it\'s now going back into the Crank Case.

VTA is not a WOF fail yet, but soon will be afaik???

Your Block needs to breath, either back to intake (cleaned via Can) or VTA.

Sweet cheers for that,

If the catch can is doing its job properly and catching everything as it enters, is there another way of venting the catch can without it going to atmosphere? Especially if this is going to be an issue down the track?

Cheers

Rosssub said:

Does your Can have a Return Hose going back to the Intake, (one hose in, one hose out and the breather filter on top)?

Three lines in, i.e. two cam breathers plus crank case breather. I also have a drain fitting at the bottom, and a breather filter near the top.

Would it be easier to remove the filter, and replace with an inline sealed filter and return back into the intake system?

Nice, what make of can is it? Got a Pic? :)

Check out Scavenger Exhaust Fittings, run your Breather/Filter Fitting to one of these rather than back to Intake.

I ran all 3 OEM Breathers T\'d together through my can, back in Intake through one Hose. With 210,000kms it couldn\'t "breath" enough and I boosted 2L of Oil through my Dip Stick hole. ;D

Edit:

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1022_1069&products_id=1243

1189_WEBL.jpg

Rosssub said:

Nice, what make of can is it? Got a Pic? :)

Check out Scavenger Exhaust Fittings, run your Breather/Filter Fitting to one of these rather than back to Intake.

I ran all 3 OEM Breathers T\'d together through my can, back in Intake through one Hose. With 210,000kms it couldn\'t "breath" enough and I boosted 2L of Oil through my Dip Stick hole. ;D

Edit:

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1022_1069&products_id=1243

1189_WEBL.jpg

Nice I like it!

where abouts into the exhaust system can it be plumbed? Downpipe? or Further down?

Does it have to be mounted on an angle? I guess this helps with flow. I see the picture refers to crankcase gases, I assume its fine for cam breather gases aswell?

Why wouldn\'t it breath enough if plumbed back into the air inlet but works ok with exhaust?

Cheers for the help

It would seem the easiest way would be to replace catch tank filter with a a hose back to inlet manifold somewhere convenient..This could be used on public roads and for wof inspections..

When time for serious use on track etc the filter can be replaced and hose blocked off..

My catch tank collects bugger all and i have used it for more than 3 years..

pedro said:

It would seem the easiest way would be to replace catch tank filter with a a hose back to inlet manifold somewhere convenient..This could be used on public roads and for wof inspections..

When time for serious use on track etc the filter can be replaced and hose blocked off..

From what Rosssub was saying, you wouldn\'t want to be driving around boosting too much if it\'s plumbed back into the air inlet or manifold as this resulted into too much back pressure which blew his dipstick and 2L of oil out from the dip stick housing.

nismovzr2003']

[quote name='pedro said:

/quote]

From what Rosssub was saying, you wouldn\'t want to be driving around boosting too much if it\'s plumbed back into the air inlet or manifold as this resulted into too much back pressure which blew his dipstick and 2L of oil out from the dip stick housing.

My Km\'s were high, so I had a lot of Blow-By. Also I T\'d all 3 engine Breathers into my Can, with a 12mm Single Return Hose. ::) Not good lol.

nismovzr2003 said:

where abouts into the exhaust system can it be plumbed? Downpipe? or Further down?

Does it have to be mounted on an angle? I guess this helps with flow. I see the picture refers to crankcase gases, I assume its fine for cam breather gases aswell?

I was planning to fit one into the bottom corner of my Down Pipe.

Yes they have to go on an angle to work (scavenge) correctly. Looks like the Kit comes with an angled wedge to be welded onto exhaust Pipe. Yes fine for Head Breathers as well.

Edit: The closer to Turbo, the hotter the exhaust gasses, the more likely to burn off any crud.

Rosssub']

[quote name='pedro said:

/quote]

My Km\'s were high, so I had a lot of Blow-By. Also I T\'d all 3 engine Breathers into my Can, with a 12mm Single Return Hose. ::) Not good lol.

Some Subaru Specific Catch Cans have 2 separate Cans, one for Heads and one for Block.

I\'m currently running my Heads through my Can (12mm each), with my Block Breather straight to Inlet (12mm).

• Admin
 soopersubaru said:

And what was the conclusion?

That it\'s probably not legal on a racecar due to the likelihood of dropping a shitload of oil out the back of the car, or going full smokescreen.

And it\'s pointless on a street car, because a. why not just plumb it back to the intake or VTA catch can and b. it\'s still not bloody cool to go laying smokescreens and dropping oil on a public road and c. when the scavenging valves fail they tend to push all your oil out the dipstick tube.

soopersubaru said:

Setup correctly. i.e: hottest point possible,(first bend on turbo downpipe for subaru) Then also used with the catch can for track. Equals no risk of oil cloud or smoke.

Used on a road car without catch can. Very slight risk of a smoke screen.

When you say first bend in the dowpipe from turbo? You meaning the bend directly after the exhaust housing? I\'m running a twisted turbo setup, not that this should make any difference I\'m assuming. Is it better to mount the scavenger fitting directly on the bend or just after it? I\'ll be using this in conjunction with a custom catch can setup in order to remove my existing air breather, thought I may aswell do it all now while the engine is out :)

Is there any local suppliers in NZ that sell the vibrant performance scavenger kits? Or another company that makes something similar? If importing, anyone found the cheapest place to go through?

Cheers for any help and/or info.

funkytown said:

wouldnt that exhaust fitting be best rotated 180 degrees.?

would cause pressure back up the pipe.. instead of venturi if it was sucking past?

Maybe a clean pipe? Looks like they\'re using the Hole/Notch for flow through.

With my amount of Blow By, it would always be blowing. ;D

Edit: Could run into issues with a restrictive Muffler?

nismovzr2003']

[quote name='soopersubaru said:

Setup correctly. i.e: hottest point possible,(first bend on turbo downpipe for subaru) Then also used with the catch can for track. Equals no risk of oil cloud or smoke.

Used on a road car without catch can. Very slight risk of a smoke screen.

/quote]

When you say first bend in the dowpipe from turbo? You meaning the bend directly after the exhaust housing? I\'m running a twisted turbo setup, not that this should make any difference I\'m assuming. Is it better to mount the scavenger fitting directly on the bend or just after it? I\'ll be using this in conjunction with a custom catch can setup in order to remove my existing air breather, thought I may aswell do it all now while the engine is out :)

Is there any local suppliers in NZ that sell the vibrant performance scavenger kits? Or another company that makes something similar? If importing, anyone found the cheapest place to go through?

Cheers for any help and/or info.

I Made my own venturi. Fitted to bend under car. My errrrr. 2nd bend or lower one. Was not hard to do . Works well.

simple non return valve ss ball type "free" not sprung.

Always has crankcase in the negative pressure zone. No Catch can fitted.