Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Building sti motor.

chrisp

What do you mean by cooling?

Flipped manifold + small diameter piping + front mount = the goods.

Factory oil cooler will be best for a street car.

Injectors? Depends on your set up really.

What STi \'parts\' will be using to make a \'STi\' motor?

Finally, I see you\'re in Chch so I would suggest talking to SAS, Gotasuby and rex-leggy as they\'re local members who have built some serious engines.

Timmah said:

Finally, I see you\'re in Chch so I would suggest talking to SAS, Gotasuby and rex-leggy as they\'re local members who have built some serious engines.

And I have a going v5 sti motor, but needs a rebuilt. so thought how can i improve on what a sti has to offer without going to overboard.

chrisp']

cool briliant il talk to them, are they members or? and i dont want to go front mount but unsure to stick to aftermarket top mount or water to air cooling system.

Yup - sure are. Should consider coming to a monthly meet and pick their brains.

Really depends on your budget and plans I guess. Could go for a v7 sti intercooler, which may require a modding to fit. SAS uses one on his rally car and his intake temps don\'t see over 30 degrees (I think) during rally sprints.

[quote name='Timmah said:

/quote]

And I have a going v5 sti motor, but needs a rebuilt. so thought how can i improve on what a sti has to offer without going to overboard.

Probably depends on how much power you\'re wanting to make. I don\'t know how much the factory rods, pistons etc can handle but a good tune would probably mean they\'ll get into the 200kw and higher safely.

chrisp said:

yea myt be best, since iv asked a few people an no one really knows what to do. So yea will be good to get a list of sum sort. Ill keep my eye open for april meet.

Your budget and goals are also are huge factor in what you want to do too.

Timmah']

[quote name='chrisp said:

yea myt be best, since iv asked a few people an no one really knows what to do. So yea will be good to get a list of sum sort. Ill keep my eye open for april meet.

/quote]

Yea iv realised. I want to attempt to build a solid 350 to 400hp at wheels.

I have: tdo6 25g turbo

Twisted turbo setup

3inch straight through exhuast

possum bourne link

500hp fuel pump

stock top mount intercooler,

So im tossing up on getting these:

Cams, standard will be ok or upgrade.

Injectors, keep yellow or go pink or bigger.

After market B/E race bearings

wiseco forged pistons, rods to suit.

aftermarket top mount,water to air cooling system or what sort of intercooler that is not front mount.

chrisp']

/quote]

Twisted turbo setup

possum bourne link

500hp fuel pump

aftermarket top mount,water to air cooling system or what sort of intercooler that is not front mount.

Something tells me to get that high in power you would be better off with a forged block + v7 heads (for AVCS), link G4, bigger injectors and a front mount.

I\'d be looking at some of the build threads in the Impreza section, like Boons and evorexs as they sound along the lines of your plans.

I think you need to read the thread I wrote on this. First up tmic and td06 25g is like eating eye fillet off your concrete driveway - it shouldnt be done. I would say do some reading on sizing injectors, buy a decent forged shortie, run sti heads, thing is you have a 300wkw+ turbo 25g is a 10sec/gt35 size compressor. im guessing you have an open block which is poos at more than 230wkw along with your early rods. Pistons wont go much further either. I would seriously start to convert yourself to fmic.

• Admin

You\'ll never get 350whp, let alone 400, on yellow injectors. Pinks are good for about 235wkw (~315whp)

I\'d say go to top feed conversion - may as well just get a v7 longblock and go from there.

Stock top mount... won\'t get you there.

Your best bet by a country mile on a GF chassis is a flipped manifold and front mount.

If you were GD chassis, there\'s a couple of decent aftermarket TMICs that would get you closer to that power figure.

Also a Possum Link will probably freak the hell out running big injectors, at the very least it will idle horribly. Get a G4.

EDIT: Ahem Mr evowrx, what does that make HX35 + TMIC?

Timmah']

/quote]

Twisted turbo setup

possum bourne link

500hp fuel pump

Something tells me to get that high in power you would be better off with a forged block + v7 heads (for AVCS), link G4, bigger injectors and a front mount.

I\'d be looking at some of the build threads in the Impreza section, like Boons and evorexs as they sound along the lines of your plans.

Build a forged motor, get rid of the possum link, get G4. sort out the fueling and run a fmic or WAIC. thats my opinion.

rex-leggy']

[quote name='boon said:

EDIT: Ahem Mr evowrx, what does that make HX35 + TMIC?

/quote]

lets be honest its not really ideal/cost effective compared to frontmount.

who knows have you got some logs of temps?

No just steve from re sinclair said id need to think of better cooling options for next tune to push more whp. I really wanted to avoid front mount as i wanted to keep mystock body parts like front bumper. space behind it doesnt seem to flash

gotasuby said:

decapped pinks. or blues. v7 sti motors are very good. and dont worry about cams maybe just valve springs

Ok sweet coz yea the motor i have is from a 1998 sti 2 door coupe. and thats the one im modding. Id say from what iv already spent , a v7 motor seems bit out of the picture, yet everyone states that haha. any paticular place for valve springs?

evowrx said:

I think you need to read the thread I wrote on this. First up tmic and td06 25g is like eating eye fillet off your concrete driveway - it shouldnt be done. I would say do some reading on sizing injectors, buy a decent forged shortie, run sti heads, thing is you have a 300wkw+ turbo 25g is a 10sec/gt35 size compressor. im guessing you have an open block which is poos at more than 230wkw along with your early rods. Pistons wont go much further either. I would seriously start to convert yourself to fmic.

read your thread man cheerz. wat forged pistons you recon?

gotasuby said:

blue top feeds.

Pistons go either CP, Wisco or JE. I always use CP but thats my preference

Briliant any other weak spots noticeable to you? apart from what has been mentioned.

It seems i need :

front mount

pistons that you mentioned(brands)

top feed blues

valve springs.

This combined with my earlier list of already have should work ok for descent whp

evowrx said:

Your open deck block isnt a great base so go semi or closed and decent rods also. Get gotasuby to sort the g4 and tune. Recapping the yellows you have will net you 300wkw+ talk to tony at dtech.

there a v7 semi closed on trademe with the v7 rods?

Thats probably stingr on heres block. If you want to max that turbo definitely want aftermarket rods for reliability. A 6sp wouldnt be a silly idea along with a decent clutch. Unsure what power a semi will support reliably -300wkw isnt unheard of tho.