Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What to do?

Hey guys, ok im a major novice on all this but im guna start looking into doing a few things to my V4 STi type r. its done 120km. I want no less than 200kw atw. I was thinking bigger fuel pump, flip the manifold and put a FM on, split rails while im there and then a tune. What else should i be doing?? also do I need to get some sorta tunable ecu?(then i can run bigger injectors right?) if so how much and what to go for(remembering that im not made of money lol) Also tossing around the idea of twisting the turbo, is there any gain in doing this with the stock vf23? apart from shorter IC pipeing and better access. How safe would all this be on the stock internals? Last thing i want is it to go pop not long after all the hard work has been done.

Thoughts? is it worth doing or is there lots more I would need to do. Don't wana do a half arsed job lol do it once do it right ha

Cheers for any help guys

5534_100987228189_649088189_2030249_3846

As above

For now just chuck in a link g4, bigger fuel pump just for safety and u should get to 200kw atw without too much trouble. ;) Even FMIC if u want, but I know heaps of subbis doing 200kw easily with the stock TMIC so u don't need a FMIC.

Flipping the manifold is unneccesary, same with twisting the turbo esp if u only want 200kw atw IMO. I'd say go with the above first and go from there, no point in spending extra coinage unnecesarily as they are very expensive modifications unless u have the mechanical know how to do it urself. Or if ur SERIOUSLY ;) looking at doing a much more aggressive setup down the future, ie bigger turbo, forged rebuild etc.

Once u start going up to the 220+ range then u start getting into that territory, ie bigger injectors and all that fun expensive stuff haha

On the engine, it could be anything. U have an 120k engine but the general rule of thumb is, the higher the hp the higher the unreliability, comes with the territory unfortunately. U gotta remember ur increasing hp on a motor that has already done 120,000ks on it so yeah who really knows. Just make sure u get the tuner to set a reliable tune that wont' lean out, then u should be all good. (And not thrash it every 2 seconds haha) ;)

yea ok how much for a link and a tune? Im still guna flip ma manifold have always wanted to do it, dont like the idea of lag but not to sure on thoes factory top mounts.hence doing it and also tidy the bay up a wee bit. Think i can handle that myself too shouldnt be too hard...

200kw would b a minimum i would want, whats a vf23 and yellows capable of handling? and yes i do plan to eventually put a strongly built motor in with bigger turbo etc as it is not my daly driver, more of a toy ;D that will be once this motor blows but hopfully its not in the next year lol(just bought a house so money is tight, not to even mention the missus!!)

Thrash it?? its too nice to "thrash" lol ::)

Um depends on the duty cycle really on how high u can go kw atw, u dont wanna go above 95% on ur duty cycle. From what I've seen 210-220kw is generally the figures u can get out of yellows with comfort room as u never want to max ur injectors, as if it leans out ul be needing to do a rebuild way earlier then planned. With ur VF23 I'd say round the 210ish mark again from pesonal experiences, a vf22 or TD05 would net u higher gains. The factory TMIC will easily do 200kw atw, and if u dont like lag then even with flipping the manifold and putting on a FMIC ur far far increasing the likelyhood of more lag occuring lol....

There are tons of methods to reduce lag though, like headers, camwork etc etc etc liek I on my wrx but again this is all costs. I don't have issues with lag on my wrx even though it's FMIC but then again its far from standard lol

G4 Link/Installation/Tune can be anywhere from $2000-$3000

Remember this my friend.... Price up what u think it will cost then double, as that will be the real cost lol

Think ill start saving up for a link and a tune then. :'(

yeah i do relise i will get a bit more lag, but not to the extent of those setups that every man and his dog has with all that pipeing :o

Oh and catch 22 my friend, everytime u do a decent mod on ur car ul need to get a retune done... Which can very from $100-250 an hour for tuning. Otherwise trust me, it can run like ass after a while as I found out.

Generally u usually want the Link to be ur last mod once all ur "bolt-on mods" are done first, so as to save more coinage.

yeah il slowly start gathering the bits and pieces over time, then put them on, flip the mani, get the link and tune. should be all good

Guest loren

200kw the cheap and easy way.

apexi power fc.

walbro pump.

any half decent EBC.

tune.

STi-TypeR said:

Hey guys, ok im a major novice on all this but im guna start looking into doing a few things to my V4 STi type r. its done 120km. I want no less than 200kw atw. I was thinking bigger fuel pump, flip the manifold and put a FM on, split rails while im there and then a tune. What else should i be doing?? also do I need to get some sorta tunable ecu?(then i can run bigger injectors right?) if so how much and what to go for(remembering that im not made of money lol) Also tossing around the idea of twisting the turbo, is there any gain in doing this with the stock vf23? apart from shorter IC pipeing and better access. How safe would all this be on the stock internals? Last thing i want is it to go pop not long after all the hard work has been done.

Thoughts? is it worth doing or is there lots more I would need to do. Don't wana do a half arsed job lol do it once do it right ha

Cheers for any help guys

5534_100987228189_649088189_2030249_3846

Are you sure its a version 4 ? - they have vf24's

Add saving for a new shortblock cause as a rule the bottom end is about to let go...

Qwerty said:

Are you sure its a version 4 ? - they have vf24's

Add saving for a new shortblock cause as a rule the bottom end is about to let go...

Bearing that in mind, i saved up 2-3 times for mine and then spent it and i got 192k's from mine, and it was still running............but it was ALLWAYS on my mind when i hit full(low) boost haha

Posted by: loren

apexi power fc.

walbro pump.

any half decent EBC.

tune.

Ok.. that sounds easy! and cheaper too. How much and where do you score those apexi power fc from?

This is what I wanted to know, in my first question I asked if I would need some sorta aftermarket ecu, and if its not nessacery then great itl save me some coin :D

Thanks loren

STi-TypeR said:

apexi power fc.

walbro pump.

any half decent EBC.

tune.

Ok.. that sounds easy! and cheaper too. How much and where do you score those apexi power fc from?

This is what I wanted to know, in my first question I asked if I would need some sorta aftermarket ecu, and if its not nessacery then great itl save me some coin :D

Thanks loren

Aftermarket ecu will allow for a safer tune whilst getting as much power or whatever out as required.....

Power fc can range between 300-1000 with or with out hand controller.

I boguht one a while ago for 300 with the hand controller but have seen them go for as much as 900-1000 for a 2nd hand one.

STi-TypeR said:

apexi power fc.

walbro pump.

any half decent EBC.

tune.

Thanks loren

Umm u still are In essence and yes u NEED one...u are still getting an aftermarket ecu its just a piggyback one and still will require tuning and all. (yes its not an ECU but lets not bother getting technical on these issues lol) I have an apexi pfc but really would recommend getting the link if u r wanting to do the big time mods that u say u want to do, ur saving urself money down the track in double costs. As Im replacing mine shortly with a link g4.

Guest loren
 WRXER']

[quote name='STi-TypeR said:

quote]Posted by: loren

apexi power fc.

walbro pump.

any half decent EBC.

tune.

Thanks loren

Umm u still are In essence and yes u NEED one...u are still getting an aftermarket ecu its just a piggyback one and still will require tuning and all. (yes its not an ECU but lets not bother getting technical on these issues lol) I have an apexi pfc but really would recommend getting the link if u r wanting to do the big time mods that u say u want to do, ur saving urself money down the track in double costs. As Im replacing mine shortly with a link g4.

sorry, did you just say that the pfc is not an ECU?