Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Steam coming out of heater vents?

far_to_loud

I was thinking it maybe leaking hose or heater raditor but any of my cars that ive had that happen in its soaked the carpet badly. and the car runs bhotter or over heats

Or this could be a streacht but....

could it be water leaking thru the window or a hole some where and going into the heater box? once it heats up it steams the water?

DRFVDR said:

is your aircon running as well as u can have condensate coming out of the vents until the heater core warms up(I have this in my landcruiser as I never turn my aircon off in any of my vehicles)

+1 on that, sometimes the aircon will have condensation coming out on start up early in the morning (and in tropical area sometimes anytime)

If its not that, flog the car off before it sh#*$ itself!

swiftbrad']

[quote name='DRFVDR said:

I have this in my landcruiser as I never turn my aircon off in any of my vehicles)

/quote]

why?

Why Wot

Why do i not turn of the Aircon

1/The worst thing u can do with aircon is not run it,when it running everhthing is oiled and pressureized

and as my cruiser has done 400,000 km on its original aircon and it still works a treat I guess it works

2/It helps dry the air which inturn demists windscreens quicker,escpecially when u got 12 wet skiers in ya wagon

it has lots of gians and no real disadvantages

Air con uses on average about 4% of the power your car makes.....

The difference in normal daily driving is so small that you would barely notice.

And yes if you don't use it regularly the compressor seals will dry out and the refrigerant will begin to leak.

This was the reason that a hell of a lot of the early Jap import cars needed to be regased when they first come into the country.

Yeah you will feel it when it kicks in...

The Air-con compressor is just a high pressure pump

It takes 40psi inlet pressure and bumps it up to discharge high pressure of 160psi...

That and the start when the Compressor clutch engages is basically an instantaneous 0-4000 rpm shock load on the motor...

I feel it kick in in the RX but not in the cruiser(maybe because of the bigger diesel engine in the cruiser)

The amount of power and fuel usage exta is a moot point really as I prefer to use it.

U all can do it anyways u want but i drive as a professional driver and would prefer my windows clear and me comfy :)

doesn't seem to be any water on the floor which i've noticed, and not going through lots of water. (a little but not heeps)

I never use the aircon.. and when aircon is on it becomes ten time worse >:(

i haven't left the aircon on long enough to heat the heater core as i can't see out the windows by this point..

my mate mentioned it was the aircon gas and had a similar thing happen with his Rs, but he wasn't 100% sure tho...

Guest keltik

My money is on either a blocked a/c drain or rain water seeping into the heater core and steaming off when you use it. If it was a coolant leak im sure you wouldve noticed other problems by now including a wet carpet.

My heater fogs the window for the first 5 seconds of use, after that the air con sorts everything out. Id never use my heater without a/c on.

swiftbrad said:

air con = more load on engine = more fuel used

That equates to about 4% extra

1 x Window open 1inch = 6% extra fuel use

throw the cuzzies in and each opens the window you will use about 14% more fuel as an average...

Did some "looking into it" on it a while ago, also Topgear did research, some boffins at Uni's in Aus did some too and found you use more fuel with window open than using Aircon.

Also you are more likely to have better fuel milage by using less right foot than by stopping to use the Aircon, and if you own a Auto and drive in very bad stop start traffic you will regain 15 to 20% economy in town driving by putting the auto into neutral at the lights or other times you are at standstill while waiting for traffic to move instead of sitting in drive...

Guest boostin

You'll find a lot of cars have an A/C cut function built into the ECU, so that when you go full throttle, the ECU shut off the A/C compressor so that the maximum amount of power is going to the wheels.

So you can use your A/C when racing now too. Cool aye??

(Pun intended)

Guest keltik
 DRFVDR']

[quote name='Glen said:

The result was that the Mythbusters chick is hot, and the guys are idiots.

/quote]

and she just had a baby :)

to some one else :( :(

NoooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(