Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

VF22 compared to VF36...?

scooby-wrx

Hey guys, I'm considering swapping to a twin scroll setup on my EJ207 converted GC8. Just wandering if anyone's had a VF22 then upgraded to a VF36? How do they compare?

I've been in an STI running a VF36 with 286 kw (supposedly) it was running 28 psi and is the most impressive / fastest Subaru I've ever been in!

I realise I have to swap extractors, up-pipe, sump not sure on down-pipe at this stage...? Assuming it will need to go too? My car's currently making a bit over 200 kw on 21 psi.

Cheers

twin scroll setup looses most of the rumble, BUT

insane response, very fast spool, holds boost well, MUCH newer tech than the vf22, and hell, it's twinscroll goodness.

the 36 is also a ballbearing center with a titanium front wheel and shaft, so very fast spool

Thanks guys. 22 with 36 housing sounds interesting...

Yes, never saw a dyno sheet but it was in a V8 STI - sorry, was a VF37 (not 36) and I seem to remember something being done to it prior to fitment (not sure what though). It had a front mount and I was amazed with the response (minimal lag).

The 22 seems to be dropping back a bit at higher rpm from 21 down to 18. Am I likely to see an increase in power swapping to a 36 or just response?

depends on your setup. all of the vf turbos are small, and will all fall over a little bit at the top end as they start to run out of puff.

my vf30 holds boost pretty well with minimal tapering towards the top end, but thats due to the boost controller and tune. high rpms arent particularly productive in a subie, just change up as it starts to taper off :P

Ive had VF22/23/28/36 all in p18 or p20's back to back. The VF36p18 or p20 would be my pick if I was buying any VF for a sub -230wkw seriously spooly any time you touch the throttle its full noise even without decent boost control. VF22p18 was pretty damn good too. If I had a VFanything i wouldnt swap it out for another VF. If you want to hold boost up top you need to run a man turbo buts lets face it boost isnt everything unless youre one of those which you arent.

Talk to Dave about it but I cant see it being worth the expense. The VF36p20 spooled up so fast I cant see T/S making much of a difference without it running into surge tbh.

They dont run a titanium comp either. The design of the comp on VF30/34/36 is what brings it on so fast, they respond well to restrictors and can be efficent to -24psi. The VF22 tend to shed blades at 20psi-. I ran 2 at that with no issues but it definitely is a common occurence and you can physically see the lack of material in the hub of the comp.

Better way to sink 1k imo.

Yea sorry johnny first up first served etc.

Murch had VF36 in kents spec c which made 260wkw with cams iirc wasnt a mitzi comp but pretty sure it was a stock ihi turbine with work as theyre the limitation. People knock that everywhere but end of the day it ran a 10 with nos shot which means power figures werent ****. All cars vary hell some late stuff makes 240wkw on stock stuff pretty sure dv8er made 236wkw or something on 95 tuned by capper sheets in one of the dyno threads late one I think.

• Admin
 scooby-wrx said:
I've been in an STI running a VF36 with 286 kw (supposedly) it was running 28 psi and is the most impressive / fastest Subaru I've ever been in!

Maybe 286kw at the flywheel.

I've never, ever, ever seen a VF-based setup north of 240wkw from a reputable dyno. Without NOS.

evowrx, thanks for the info really appreciate you taking the time to detail your experience with VF's. Was rather interesting. I'm after excellent response with decent power output around 250kw and may still try a VF36 just looking for parts (up-pipe, down-pipe, headers, sump) their availability will hemp me make a decision.

• Admin

If you want 250wkw get a Scoobyclinic turbo or maybe a Greddy T518Z or go the whole hog and get a GT28RS.

There is no VF series turbo that will make that power without either a. E85 b. NOS c. Dyno fakery

• 2 weeks later...
 subytrackhack said:
hey fyi i will have a ts sump .oil pick up .manifold and up pipe no downpipe for sale as of the w.e unless i decide to convert the top flange to single scroll to run my vf22

No need to run t/s with a vf22 it will make 20psi around 3.5k anyway. Just run stock s/s mani and a stock diameter uppipe.

subytrackhack said:

hey fyi i will have a ts sump .oil pick up .manifold and up pipe no downpipe for sale as of the w.e unless i decide to convert the top flange to single scroll to run my vf22

I will buy the headers and up pipe if you decide to sell. Cheers