Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Clutch shuddering

lowandy

Had old clutch on its way out so replaced it with a 6 puk heavy duty clutch.

Old clutch used to shudder on take offs and when downshifting.

Now that i replaced the clutch it is still doing the same thing but doesnt shudder if i rev it up to 1500-2000rpm for releasing the clutch.

I didnt skim the flywheel because it looked in good condition with no hot spots or anything. - yes i know i should of skimmed it with a new clutch.

What possibilities could there be that is causing the shuddering?

Worn engine/gearbox mounts?

Just read it's got a 6 puck in it - they can just be a bit severe at the best of times, they aren't meant for slippy lazy type take offs - always got told when its a ceramic button one try and keep off the left pedal as best you can. Organic / full faced ones tend to be a lot more forgiving

Im regretting not skimming the flywheel as i believe thats the issue and my f'd corssmember doesnt help the cause. Only didnt skim the flywheel as i could only change clutches in my mates garage for 1 day on saturday and couldnt have stayed any longer while waiting for it to get skimmed during the week.

I had exactly the same issue with my clutch.

Would vibrate violently upon acceleration and deceleration if the revs weren't high enough.

It only happened after installing my heavy duty clutch so to start off I diagnosed it as 'clutch wearing in' but that wasn't the case because the situation persisted until we got it up on the ramps and had a good look. Turns out my Cross member had a snapped bolt on one side and the downward pressure would force that side down during take offs and would literally bounce up and down whilst driving. Made a hell of a noise and i'm ashamed to admit that my immediate fix idea was to spot weld it in place... lets hope I don't have to remove it any time soon.

Edited by Suby Manic

Suby Manic said:
I had exactly the same issue with my clutch.

Would vibrate violently upon acceleration and deceleration if the revs weren't high enough.

It only happened after installing my heavy duty clutch so to start off I diagnosed it as 'clutch wearing in' but that wasn't the case because the situation persisted until we got it up on the ramps and had a good look. Turns out my Cross member had a snapped bolt on one side and the downward pressure would force that side down during take offs and would literally bounce up and down whilst driving. Made a hell of a noise and i'm ashamed to admit that my immediate fix idea was to spot weld it in place... lets hope I don't have to remove it any time soon.

Haha im in the same boat here mate, i welded the bolt up with the crossmember hard on the chassis. Im going to look at replacing it because both bolts are stripping so will be a fair mission to fix.

Sprung clutch. (It has springs in the clutch plate so assuming thats what you are talking about)