Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Triptronic Gearboxs

you do realise later triptonics have the same attributes as sequential ie,leaver push forward for up shift and backwards for down shift,and no clutching needed so foot flat to the floor, thinking out of the box, I remember a Holden in the GT class running a auto box and he did fairly well.

Never say it cant be done, just do and find out

• Admin

If they're anything like the old autos then they can probably be beefed up, usually done for dragracing rather than track work though.

You can flat-shift with a Link, and clutchless up-shift if you're a bit of an animal and don't mind hurting gearboxes.

Better to just look for a cheap PPG gearset though, tbh.

ok so you push the lever instead of pushing a button .

you do realise the auto still has the attributes of a slosh box trimatic . and is nothing like a sequential box at all

also the fact that all the autos retard timing ( or other measures ) in the ecu to soften the power during a shift

• Admin

The ghost shifter won't do ****. It's for no-hands ECU shifting a drag car. It uses the Ikeya "sequential" conversion (which costs a ****-ton) on the gearstick to convert the H-pattern to a sequential style.

You can achieve exactly the same thing with a Link G4 (or any decent ECU) and shifting it by hand, you just have to hate your gearbox a bit. You still need the clutch on downshifts.

I believe most of the cars that got a ghost shifter already had dog-cut gearboxes anyway.

EDIT: Literally, all the ghost shifter does is give you air-actuated shifting on the Ikeya shifter. That's it. Nothing else. That's why it's called the ghost shifter, because the shifter still moves around as if someone was using it.

I priced up a kaps system through a nz dealer, basically the dog box cost 8-9k plus 650 dollars to fit it and then the sequential add on equipment is another 6k ish. Basically for the price pbms is charging for a dog box conversion you get a sequential system. Not cheap though but a lot less than the 30k I have seen them for sale for.

boon said:
Honestly I'd just get a set of PPG dog gears for maybe 1-3 or 1-4 and live with that. Is H-pattern shifting really that hard?

its what I am probably going to do, but if you were really serious sequential does save a lot of time on the track. In fact the super lap person told me he saved 2-3 seconds a lap at puke by only changing from dogbox to sequential.

ballsrburning said:
its what I am probably going to do, but if you were really serious sequential does save a lot of time on the track. In fact the super lap person told me he saved 2-3 seconds a lap at puke by only changing from dogbox to sequential.

I would say that too if I'd just spent $$$ on it.

loner said:
I would say that too if I'd just spent $$$ on it.

didn't cost him a penny he's a well known driver who got it for free through sponsorship. However the times speak for themselves.

Edited by ballsrburning

he must be one unco mofo. half of a h pattern is the same action as a squential anyway . up and down shifting 1-2 and 3-4 is still forward and back . i really dont see how having to pull the stick on a diagonal for 2-3 shift can cost 2-3 seconds a lap .

i mean has anyone watched the darrin 6 second supra on the street . thats fkn cool for h pattern

• Admin
 ballsrburning said:
didn't cost him a penny he's a well known driver who got it for free through sponsorship. However the times speak for themselves.

Then he's probably obliged by the sponsor to pimp their gear ;)

I'm pretty dubious of someone gaining 2-3 seconds from a sequential, unless they were a terrrrrrible shifter before.