Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Turbo options

knockoutgiant

Alright so, I'm looking at turbo options/opinions for my build.

Brand new EJ257 bottom end, CP forged pistons, Tomei headgasket, ARP headstuds, 2.0 dual AVCS Legacy heads. Compression should be somewhere around 8.7:1, Tomei expreme equal length twin scroll headers.

This is a daily so my main concern is spool/driviability/reliability. Wanting no less than 250kw atw.

Not really keen on getting a hybrid turbo or getting one built. Stock location only.

Way I see it I have a couple of options:

Blouch Dominator 1.5XT-R Twin scroll

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop/product/blc-dom1-5xtr-ts-blouch-dominator-1-5xt-r-10cm-2-twin-scroll-jdm-turbo-subaru-models-inc-2002-2007-wrx-2004-2015-sti

Blouch Dominator 3.0XT-R Twin scroll

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop/product/blc-dom3-0xtr-ts-blouch-dominator-3-0xt-r-10cm-2-twin-scroll-jdm-turbo-subaru-models-inc-2002-2007-wrx-2004-2015-sti

Tomei M7760 Twin scroll (Have only heard bad things about these turbos?)

http://tomeiusa.com/_2003web-catalogue/000_arms/product_arms_m7760TS-e.html

Or last but not least I could wait as ATP are testing out a stock location GTX3076R or something along those lines...

Basically just wondering what would be best suited to my needs etc... Getting a headache from all the different options xD

Those turbos are a lot of money . Do you actually want to thrash it or do you just like being able to tell people your car has all that stuff on it .

Why are you against a built or hybrid turbo ? 3k for a turbo for those goals is off the planet .

Noone in nz buys those bolt on wonder turbos from the states so your not gunna get much opinion on them .

I thought They won't work on NZ/ Japanese cars as I thought common components are in different places I.e the brake booster, they are specifically for USA domestic market only.

Sti ts headers, td06h ts housing, murch td06h/gt35 3in inlet hybrid and youll be happier than me. Just run in with stock turbo on spring pressure and hope murch has it finished by then.

3k nzd on a turbo is fckn ridiculous and youre limited by stock location as well.

• Like 1

Yes, of course I'll be thrashing it and don't just want this stuff to say I have it. I didn't blow my EJ20 up being nice to it :P

ballsrburning said:
I thought They won't work on NZ/ Japanese cars as I thought common components are in different places I.e the brake booster, they are specifically for USA domestic market only.

Oh really?! I'll check into that a bit more just to be sure!

Not totally keen on a built/hybrid turbo as there are no definite results, flow rates, boost response figures etc etc. I also just don't trust them, it's a bit like flex fuel for me, I'm sure it's very good.... But I simply don't trust it.

I'm looking at turbos also and have been talking to evowrx about his wrx build and Steve Murch.

TD06H wont fit into the factory P25 ts exhaust housing, Murch measured while on the phone to me.

TD06 might fit into factory P25 ts exhaust housing and the TD06SL2 is likely to fit, these are best guesses at the moment. It is hard/expensive to get genuine TD06/TD06H mitsi turbine wheels. The SL2 wheel was a special by Greddy and used by FP and now Kinugawa.

Murch said the TD06 TS bolt-ons by Kinugawa use a different exhaust housing which allows a larger turbine wheel. (It is also possible Kinugawa are just using the SL2 wheel with a ported P25 clone and not completely describing the turbo components.)

My hybrid is likely going to be a TD05H core, P25 exhaust housing and a TD06SL2 turbine.

Compressor is likely to be 20-25G or a 3076 wheel with a 3" inlet cover to suit.

(Plus the machining to make it bolt all together.)

I don't know how these would work on your 2.5 shortblock, I am aiming for closer to 300wkw on a 2.0.

knockoutgiant said:
Yes, of course I'll be thrashing it and don't just want this stuff to say I have it. I didn't blow my EJ20 up being nice to it :P

Oh really?! I'll check into that a bit more just to be sure!

Not totally keen on a built/hybrid turbo as there are no definite results, flow rates, boost response figures etc etc. I also just don't trust them, it's a bit like flex fuel for me, I'm sure it's very good.... But I simply don't trust it.

Flex fuel is awesome, I've done 5000km in mine since the rebuild and it has not missed a beat, probably 500 - 1000km of that is racing. there is nothing wrong or dangerous about flex fuel if done and tuned correctly. It's a fully trustworthy setup and great gains can be had.

If you're happy to drop 3k on a turbo then you may as well just twist it and get the ability to go higher hp in the future. I promise you, as soon as you get 250 kW and get used to it you will want more. A few of people on here have the garret gtx30 turbos.

Edited by ballsrburning

Those things are nice to have an indication on but if we were realistic those specifics will change on every setup anyway. Also the tuner has a huge effect on that as well. Its best to either listen to professionals or go from other results. If you do the latter never expect to acheive the same or better. If youre willing to drop 3k id go straight to ts holset. Work well with legy headers and known to perform well on our engines.

• Admin
 evowrx said:
Speedsource ran a 10 with a p25...a 50 shot of nos doesnt add more than 50.

That car was like 260wkw on E85 off the top of my head. It was just driven extremely hard and extremely well, and a lot of thought went into getting it down the track beyond "heaps of ponies"

As said, I'm definitely sticking with stock location.

I already have the Tomei TS headers so it HAS to be something that will bolt to them.

For the flex fuel, as I said, I'm sure it's very good and I know there are awesome gains from it, but again I just simply don't trust it.

I'm starting to lean more towards the Blouch 3.0XT-R...

You'll be in a minority here in NZ

There's nothing, at all, wrong with a "built" turbo. I don't know why you'd be against it unless it's purely for the internet brand name shopping list? You'll be spending double to get the same result, but it's your money I guess

Ditto for keeping stock location. It restricts you when you could get better results with a simple cut & weld

Flex fuel is brilliant, not sure why you don't trust it... That said I know a lot of people who don't trust fuel injection or ABS either so there's that

Remember, don't believe everything you read on the internet - especially when it comes to someone trying to either a) sell or b) justify the purchase of a certain part. Just because something is branded doesn't mean it's the best

If youre actually researching on the net the obvious options seem to be the go. If you spend a bit of time asking people who arent bleating over every forum and actually race/tune cars the feedback is a little more trustworthy or not so fullofsheet.

My 2c.

• Admin

Assuming the stock ecu is being used? Think I read that a while back. Is flex fuel even that easy when using that, I know Matt can set it up but for some reason I believe it only works with stock injectors. Also being a bit older yours will have the 16bit ecu so isn't so friendly towards added features like flex fuel mapping.

boon said:
That car was like 260wkw on E85 off the top of my head. It was just driven extremely hard and extremely well, and a lot of thought went into getting it down the track beyond "heaps of ponies"

330kw with 50 nos iirc. Pretty sure it ran slicks but didnt have anything terribly extreme suspension etc, just built engine, pretty custom ihi turbo based on a vf36 chra, breathing mods and little else other than nos.

• Admin

Important question:

Are you going FMIC?

If yes, then hit up Tony at D-Tech, he has access to a jig for a twin-scroll adaptor that bolts to the factory-location up-pipe, runs twin 38mm wastegates and is a very tidy solution.

'tis what I'll almost certainly be doing when I revise my setup. Only issue is that it raises the turbo up too high to stay TMIC, but I figure you would be mad to try for 250+wkw with a standard Legacy top-mount.

• Admin
 knockoutgiant said:
I'm staying top mount.

Staying top mount and stock location turbo is because I want to keep it as stock looking as possible. Agreed the stock top mount would crumble at that amount of power so I have gone with a Process west top mount.

See I tried to play this game and I will throw it out there right now that it is deeply unsatisfying and a waste of money at the end of the day.

Twist it, put a Garrett GTX3071R on there, front mount, enjoy your very best part of 300wkw with superbly good spool.

If you want it to look as stock as possible, paint the FMIC black and keep the bonnet shut. Done.

• Like 1