Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Monsoons

• 3 weeks later...
 thejetnz said:

I just got quoted $600 bucks to fit some monsoon rain sheilds to my Leggy!!!

Was from a subby dealership...strewth!!!

especially when there only adhesive tape backing and cost $150 for the pair..

Well actually the reason I considered getting them was because I opened my window on a rainy day and a whole lotta rain water from the sills fell in on my armrest ...where the buttons are...

I just like mine because they look nice. The only time theyre ever usefull is in the Whakatane McDonalds drive thru. Keeps the bird **** out of the car when youve got the window down. Also usefull on hot days so you can leave all the windows down an inch without anyone noticing from outside the car.

$600 sounds like a rip

In relation to the useless suckers, whats the best way to remove them? *on the cheap

Try to pull them off and then use meths to get rid of the adhesive? Mine have been smashed since February and I just haven't bothered taking them off yet

The water still comes in and heads for the window switch assembly. The switch has been placed just right for the water to collect there. Believe me, I've fitted enough of these things now. They're a PITA to fit and do jack sh*t. I can never see why people bother. And then when you want to take them off its a bitch to get the old dried up adhesive off.

Caramel wheels work well, except for the real old stuff. A lot of the time they need a sand back and repaint.

ok finally started to rip off my monsoons today, ran into a problem though... how the hell am I meant to go about removing the metal clips that are attached to the monsoons and the body of the car? Kinda dont wanna pull on them too hard in case i break something, whats the best way to get the suckers off?

I pulled mine off in the weekend too. The metal clips came off quite easily - I wiggled them as I pulled down and they just slid out (they are Z shaped). The hardest one was by the mirror, so I wiggled that one along the window edge until it was clear of the mirror before pulling it out. I briefly had a go at the adhesive underneath, and then gave up. I need some magic to take that stuff off.

Is that on the forester ryan? how do i go about pulling the rubber out without ruining it? (i have a talent for destruction) so far the trusty plastic ruler has helped get rid of most of the sticky crap so im sorted on that front

Not sure which models have screwed in clips and what don't. I don't pay that much attention to them!!

The strip will pop out pretty easily. Getting it back in properly is the fun part.

I can confirm that the SF5 Foresters have screw on brackets... One badly cut finger x3 later the plastic is off. Now to go and buy (grrrr $$$) some meths to get rid of the sticky crap and i can cross it off the huge list i have for the DFRSTR

BTW if anyone wants a LH side monsoon in reasonable cond. (no cracks but without the connectors for the brackets) hit me up

Hmm it looks like I'm not the only one that took the DeForeter bush... Got most of the drivers side stickyness off and there is some black(wtf?) streaks where it used to be and some runs in the paint (found this before I hit it all with meths). Hmm maybe its penchant for trees was known and is the reason it was imported to nz...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Started taking mine off today.

Can confirm GC8 '98 had screws in them - so needed to pull the seals out a bit. Actually found it easier to pull the seal out and go in from the interior side of the seal.

To remove the adhesive - started with Desolv-it and a plastic scraper. Then used turps. The adhesive is old and crusty and takes a fair amount of effort to remove. Haven't found a caramel wheel.

Half way thru I've decided it looks much better without the monsoons.

Can't quite get the last of the adhesive off tho. Will try something more abrasive. Looks like its almost scratched in. Not really wanting to have to get it resprayed.

shouldn't really say this but ... working at wingers and watching what they do to put it on... 600$ is a rip.

they just rip apart the old one (if u had one) and use a drill tool to get rid of all the goo and stick the new one on with the sticky tape supplied and the clips. easy as