Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Anyone ever owned a VW in the past?

So I've been looking to get a new car, as some of you may know from my recent posts. I've basically narrowed it down to 2 choices, either a ('99-'03) B4 RSK/Blitzen, or a ('02-'03) Volkswagen V6 Bora. I have a couple of issues though:

- I've been told that maintenance cost of owning a VW is much more than owning a Subaru. I don't have any hard facts on this, so I'm wondering if any of you might know? I'm curious to just how much more expensive it really is, or if it's even more expensive at all.

- Is Subaru a LOT more reliable than VW? I've heard that Subaru is just a tad below Toyota/Honda in terms of reliability, if not equal to them, whereas with VW I've heard a mixed bag of reviews.

For anyone who's interested, the reason I'm considering the Bora is because I like the way it looks much better than Subaru cars of the same age.

I've heard that Subaru is just a tad below Toyota/Honda in terms of reliability, if not equal to them

you must be joking, Toyota by and large is more reliable hands down. Simple engineering to the point that f/all can break eg. corolla

even for sub enthusiasts...... u mite be streatching it

Guest itsgotgo

myself and a 2 other friends owned one as shaggin wagon when we left school. :)

we all chipped in and brought this herbie together.

must say as an air cooled engine,that we knew very little about it went well and had only 2 issues.

It chucked a dizzy a month after we got it.

gapping points every couple of thousand ks.

apart from that, it went like a trooper 8)

swiftbrad said:

I've heard that Subaru is just a tad below Toyota/Honda in terms of reliability, if not equal to them

you must be joking, Toyota by and large is more reliable hands down. Simple engineering to the point that f/all can break eg. corolla

even for sub enthusiasts...... u mite be streatching it

Buy Old skool subarus never seem to give troble... even when they do you can keep driving them and they will keep running.

I know alot of people that have had loads of issues with toyotas.

A mate of dad has a toyota corolla. The auto has stuffed out on it 4 times.

Also its seems to be a odd ball auto and isnt the same as other corollas of same shape and year.

Or MR2s gees the reliblty sucked ::)

Buy this

vw_gti_580.jpg

Golf GTI's would remain one of m favourite cars that I've driven. For what they are they're bloody quick, solid and seem fairly reliable, can be driven comfortably as a daily commuter too. Though don't get me wrong, I love Subaru's just as much. But I was just very impressed with the build quality

• General Member

Why is it ppl see VW and instantly associate it with the "Beetle"(VW NEVER called it t his, its a slang term used by the 'puplic')

Missus has Polo - alot more technical than my Leggy (same year) similar costs p/a

I would swing to your V6 over the Subaru... just slightly

itsgotgo said:

must say as an air cooled engine,that we knew very little about it went well and had only 2 issues.

... so thats why your a grandad at 36!

Bora = BORING !

Worse thing you can do to a small car is stick a boot on it.

:P

A Bora is a Golf with a boot, minus all the things that make Golf good.

No more or less reliable than other cars.

Should be cheap as they are so unloved.

;D

And a 4-cyl is the better drive with less weight over the front.

Guest itsgotgo
 matdaymon']

[quote name='itsgotgo said:

/quote]

... so thats why your a grandad at 36!

I am 36 tomorow buddy.just shows i know how to use it!!!!!

JoKer said:
I would swing to your V6 over the Subaru... just slightly

I seriously just can't choose right now. For me, it's a matter of whether I want more power/ruggedness (Subaru) or a better designed exterior and interior (Bora). Granted, if I could find an '03 Blitzen or B4 GT-B for $15k, I'd take that in a heartbeat. What's your reasoning for choosing the V6 though? I'm trying to learn as much as possible about either of these cars, so any input would be good.

I've never owned a AWD, and I'd heard that the Bora's 4Motion isn't really that great compared to Subaru (read this on random car forums, not Subaru forums). I've also never owned something with actual "power". My last car was a '97 Accord with 2.2L, no turbo or anything. Either of these cars would be a major upgrade, so it really basically just comes down to whether I'm going for looks or power.

A Bora is a Golf with a boot, minus all the things that make Golf good. No more or less reliable than other cars.

I never cared for station wagons :( Since the Bora is basically the same as the Golf but it's a sedan, that's why I like it. What are "all the things that make Golf good" that you're talking about?

I am 36 tomorow buddy.just shows i know how to use it!!!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Its funny when you go out and get another make of car and realise the subies aint that bad. Just makes you realise what you take for granted in them.

Take for example the climate control. Just got an 01 altezza last month and the climate control has nothing on my 92 vintage subies.

Driving a six cylinder car is like mud wrestling with beautiful girls. Everything is so smooth.

If you like the Vw then go for it.

Grifter730 said:

A Bora is a Golf with a boot, minus all the things that make Golf good. No more or less reliable than other cars.

I never cared for station wagons :( Since the Bora is basically the same as the Golf but it's a sedan, that's why I like it. What are "all the things that make Golf good" that you're talking about?

Golf's have been at the top of the hatch tree since the Mk1.

Prized for their build quality, peppy performance, good handling, high fun factor.

Things went rapidly downhill with the Mk III; a big fat, stupid evolution of the Golf, which was no fun to drive and not even screwed together well.

The only good thing to come out of it was the unique VR6 engine, a real gem of an engine.

MkIV recovered the fine build but were plodding to drive, the base GTI was so slow it was out-dragged by the diesel.

It wasn't until the MkV that the Golf regained its position as the premium hatch, particularly the GTI model.

Bora/Jettas(same car) versions were toned down Golfs for the more conservative driver.

Even with similar specs they didn't have the verve of the hatch.

The performance is duller, handling less resolved and less involving.

The VR6 also seemed more docile in this application.

Not sure what version your proposed car has but the VR6 came in 3 flavours; 12 valve with 128/130kW and 24V 150kW.

As you surmised the 4Motion system is not as effective as Subaru's permanent AWD.

4Motion was an early Haldex part-time system that was basically FWD until the drive wheels lost traction then it would send drive to the rear. Thanks to limited technology at the time, it was slow to react.

Still it's a lot of car for the money but not one I would find particularly pleasurable to drive.

GC8E2DD said:
If you can stretch to 2003 with the Legacy, get a BL/ BP model GT rather than the B4.

Yeah I really wish I could do this. But the cheapest 03 GT I've found is $18k, which is $3k over my budget. If I could get the dealer to go down to $15k driveaway price, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Most of them go for $20k+ though, which worries me that there are some things wrong with the ones priced at $18k.

Here's the one I was looking at:

http://www.canterburywholesale.co.nz/stock/show.php?id=395&category=&make=Subaru&model=&srt=make%20ASC&p=50&search=Search&page=1

There was another one on TM for the same price, it was black, but now it got raised to $20k. Weird.

GC8E2DD said:

That silver sedan looks nice. You would immediately be up for a cambelt though. FWIW, last year we had a VW and a Subaru, this year we have two Subarus. I am much happier.

What's the reason you're much happier with the Subaru instead of the VW?

And yeah, needing a cambelt right away basically takes that car out of my price range. Which is why I'm not really looking into the '03 B4 GT. They're usually priced around $20k. Need to find a private seller who's leaving the country and looking to sell cheap!

In terms of driving enjoyment, the Volkswagon just didn't have much bang for buck. You pay a lot for a Volkswagon, but I didn't feel like we got that much more for our money. My 1998 Type R is faster and more fun to drive than the 2005 Mk V Golf GTi I sold to buy it - for a quarter of the price. Oddly, two of my Brothers in Law have late model Passats, and I personally think our BP GTB is better in every respect than either of them. I reckon they agree too.

Please don't get mad, but what does "took it for a hoon" mean? I'm not familiar with kiwi terms. I assume you took it for a test drive, I just wasn't sure if it meant you also took it to an inspection shop or what.

That car is definitely on my watch list, but I'm really really not keen on red. It's my favorite car color to look at, but owning one seems to go against everything in me. It's too sporty-flashy. Just seems to scream "look at me" instead of quietly walking in looking classy and just naturally having everyone look at you. I dunno, I'm weird :P

Heya Dude, going for Hoon just means he took the car out for a bit of a test, put it through its paces and what not. Basically another word for going for a drive.

GorGasmSpecB said:

It does, but I'm looking for leather interior, which will cost around $2500-3000. The guy's looking for around $15k for that car, which is my budget. I've narrowed my list down to about 5 or so, but 2 of them are 3-5 hours away from where I'm gonna be. I'll start a separate thread once I get closer to my move date, and hopefully you guys can all help me decide :)