Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Air Flow Meter Woes... (I think)

Guest lan_killa

Guest lan_killa

Hi Guys

Ive finally come to the end of my rag with my bloody misfire issues, which I beleive are airflow meter related. Ive got a few meters here at my disposal which ive been trying out. My issues started when my car got vandalised and someone urinated over all the electrical components.

Anyway, this is what the different meters do

Meter 1:

-This is the one that came with the car

-Causes small misfires between 4500 and 6000RPM can get through them if foot is kept planted

-Car seems to be down on power

-Will randomly loose power completely and stall regardless of weather travelling down the motorway or stoped at lights

-Randomly causes the idle to hunt drastically

Meter 2:

-Causes the motor to flood at every avaliable opportunity, makes car near impossible to drive

Meter 3:

-Causes large misfires above 4000RPM cannot accelerate any further than this unless using minimal throttle

-Car seems to have pleanty of power in the lover revs

Meter 4:

-As yet untested as has a different model code to the others

Should I just bite the bullet and buy a new one? Or could the problem be something other than the AFM?

Car is running 9PSI and I changed all the coils when I bought it

Any ideas??? please

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lan_killa
 funkytown']

[quote name='lan_killa said:

yeh, that would be sweet... when?

/quote]

possibly something electrical in your car eating AFMs...?

Quite possible, although ive always used second hand ones that arent confirmed good and working

Guest boostin
 lan_killa said:

im at work all this weekend unfortunately so thats out... Im out west... You are as well arent you?

Yeah we're in Massey East.

Wed evening then??

• 1 month later...
Guest lan_killa

ok, having different issues now

no more misfires YAY

but am having random complete losses of power, and seems to flood when it does so.

Can loose power while idleing, or while driving at constant speed, or even when flat up it. Sometimes will just cut out (if moving will restart). Sometimes when idleing will fluctuate the idle speed real bad and if you touch the loud pedal it just stalls.

Have just checked the codes as i finally got a CEL today and it shows 23 which is AFM, but it does have a realitvely new one in there, and its an intermittant fault

HELP ME!!!!!

Guest lan_killa

id say flooding as when it does it there is a very noticeable smell of fuel.... Im thinking I may have a leak in the intake somewhere, but am not sure

Guest lan_killa

ok, so ive got the laptop logging everything im doing at the moment to see if i can get some clues.

Heres a log file from this afternoon.

http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~moliver1/WRXgoodlog.csv

It is basically, leave work, sit in some traffic thru some sets of lights, then hop on the motorway, drag someone away from those stupid on ramp lights, then hit traffic on the motorway, then hop back on the motorway the other way (this on ramp is a long quickish turnpike style one so was doing 70ish round it, till I gave it the boot again) then down the motorway, get off sit through some more traffic and home.

I tried slow driving and fast driving but it wouldnt play up today, so Ive got a good log I can go back to now if need be.

Some of your data looks wrong.

Knock correction should only show a figure occassionaly before the timing gets pulled then the knock should go back to zero again.

The O2 should fluctuate up and down either side of 450 millivolts.

The boost D/C is all over the show.

You should recotd A/F correction too if you are trying to check th fuel system out.

The AFM looks about right though, hard to be sure bacause you only got the throttle open occasionaly and for a few seconds. At idle it seems to have very little flow which may mean an air leak.

Guest lan_killa

unfortunately because im using a pre OBDII car and logging all sensors except batt voltage the readings are a bit slow, so not getting an overly good result, but this run there were no issues and the car seemed to go good

IMO it would be hard to use that log for a definitive answer for anything,

your ecu seems to be pulling 2 or more degrees of timing all the time, put I guess with the state of our fuel now days it’s hard to get nice 0’s all the time,

your IA is all over the show for my like, I just don’t know but as log1call stated AFM presents itself to be reasonable, sorry I cant help

Guest lan_killa

im going to keep logging it every time i drive as when it cuts out its normally for a good couple of seconds which should be enough for the log to show what happened

Other thing to keep in mind is that its done 212,000km without a rebuild/headgaskets any major issues

I always run it on Mobil 98, but i have a feeling the fuel its self isnt causing issues, as no misfires, just complete loss of power.... very similar to what happens when an intake pipe pops off, but i only loose power for a few seconds

Guest lan_killa

Im was using the VWRX stuff, but am now using evoscan... I must say that although both programs log the same thing evoscan is far faster and has alot of graphing features in it, and is well worth the $80odd for the software and cable