Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Clutch

Hey, i think its going to be time to get a new clutch soon! I have heard people saying the standard one is the way to go. What do you guys think? By the way, ive got a 1996 sti wagon no mods. Thanks :)

BC5RA said:

Stock clutch will do nicely.

Cheers for that. I do alot of k's a week in my car and i would rather get a clutch that would last alot longer. Do all clutches have the same life span or do they vary?

Guest boostcut

no brass or kevlar clutches wear quickly due to the fact that the pressure plate is so heavy you have to slip them to avoid bunnyhopping the car ;D a standard sti clutch is still quite expencive tho so you could get a 25% urated one from repco. i got one for a customer on my cash card for 379.00 compared to subarus 700.00

OEM only, forget Puk /paddle for daily driver. Aftermarket clutches wear very quickly

You can Upgrade to Sti V5 or similar, it has a slightly biger dive plate and has more clamp force on the pressure plate and bolt straight in

boostcut said:

no brass or kevlar clutches wear quickly due to the fact that the pressure plate is so heavy you have to slip them to avoid bunnyhopping the car ;D a standard sti clutch is still quite expencive tho so you could get a 25% urated one from repco. i got one for a customer on my cash card for 379.00 compared to subarus 700.00

Last time i looked on Trademe you can get an Exedy STI 2300mm Clutch kit for $580

Guest boostcut

thats the clutch i can get from repco. the guy who sells them is evan pittman who owns speedfactor.... everything he sells is gold plated.. or so the price would make you think

boostcut said:

Jesus, you've got to be kidding me! You're obviously not talking to the right people because $700 would be full retail price.

If you really wanted an OEM STi clutch, $535 would get you one.

OEM WRX would be $385.

The only difference in parts between the WRX and the STi according to the EPC is the pressure plate, the disc and release bearing are the same part number for both.

The pressure plate rating for the STI is 1100kg/m (2400lb/f); for the WRX 875kg/m (1900lb/f).

Throw a chassis number at me and I'll confirm it for you if you'd like.

Guest boostcut

yea 700 is around retail at subaru they dont seem to do much better deals than 15% anyway plus repco is just up the road and suby is usually overnight

boostcut said:

yea 700 is around retail at subaru they dont seem to do much better deals than 15% anyway plus repco is just up the road and suby is usually overnight

Like I said, you don't talk to the right people ;) *hint hint*

(Look in my profile, I share the love)

MOTNZ said:

Thanks for all that! Any difference in getting a STI clutch from sub or from repco apart from the price?

I could do the whole PR Propoganda thing, but people would poke holes in it regardless.

I'd say If you goto the right dealership, you'll get better customer service than at Repco!

(We like making people Happy down here)

WRXER said:

Bahahah thats a good TUI ad right there. ;D Through Repco I've had no issues, thru certain "dealers" I've always had nothing but issues.

On the contrary, There's many happy customers out there!

RDL for instance are a happy customer ;)

Haha well Im not one!!! In fact I could write an essay on the amount of times I been shafted there, let alone even start to talk about the piss poor servicing standards they did on my previous wrx. But like you, I could say the same about Repco and how many people I know get great service from the guys in the Syndenham branch. So don't knock them when for a fact the dealers are just as bad.

Running track prepared V5 pumping 240+Kw ;) atw on std clutch, NO ISSUES

Depends on what muppet is behind the wheel though :) as to what clutch you need

• 2 weeks later...
 Hopai']

[quote name='MOTNZ said:

Thanks for all that! Any difference in getting a STI clutch from sub or from repco apart from the price?

/quote]

I could do the whole PR Propoganda thing, but people would poke holes in it regardless.

I'd say If you goto the right dealership, you'll get better customer service than at Repco!

(We like making people Happy down here)

Can you do deals on other parts? ;D

Hopai']

Bahahah thats a good TUI ad right there. ;D Through Repco I've had no issues, thru certain "dealers" I've always had nothing but issues.

On the contrary, There's many happy customers out there!

RDL for instance are a happy customer ;)

;D

[quote name='WRXER said:

Haha well Im not one!!! In fact I could write an essay on the amount of times I been shafted there, let alone even start to talk about the piss poor servicing standards they did on my previous wrx. But like you, I could say the same about Repco and how many people I know get great service from the guys in the Syndenham branch. So don't knock them when for a fact the dealers are just as bad.

Getting your car serviced at the Dealership and just buying parts is two completely different arguements in my opinion. Even back in the day, before I had any idea what I was doing, the guys in the parts dept at Armstrongs were rather helpful in letting me pick and choose which parts I wanted from their racks and then also gave me a reasonable discount (for someone who had basically just walked in off the street).

I'd trust the actual Subaru parts before any of the OE replacement stuff from Repco etc too. I've seen too many examples where the OE Replacement parts from Repco/BNT etc were of substandard quality and also later found that they were more expensive than the factory replacement parts.

• 2 weeks later...