Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Cams and Performance

blitzd808

Hi guys,

Getting to the end of my RS build and im at the point that we've got a basic road tune to get a few k's on the new 207 block. Post run-in, the engine has some 268 franklins and a vf30 sitting at around 1 bar of boost. 

Keeping in mind that its not a serious road tune that has been done (given she;ll be strapped to the dyno in the near future), i'm getting onto boost at around 4,000rpm. My understanding/expectations of the vf30 was that it would be coming on boost quite a bit faster - mechanic suggested that it might be the bigger cams - is this in the right ball park? I trust the guy's experience so i guess i also wanted to get a feel for what to expect (in terms of real life impact) that the bigger cams are going to have on the cars driveability.

Cheers for the input

I was going to put cams in mine before the tune just recently and was told unless im shooting for high power 300kw + they are unnecessary and I would mainly be buying them for the idle noise haha. You could always go for a bigger turbo which would normally have a bit more lag however it would shift that power band up? 

Maybe even have a chat to Steve Murch, he quoted me around $700 to modify my VF30 to make more power he said it would be better than a TD05 

• Like 1

Main thing with Steve is the time and turnaround from what i understand. dont really want the car sitting there with no turbo for 6 months haha. 

My mechanic has been recommending a tomei as his in house tuner got 300kw out of a similar setup on those turbos but the $$ is a bit off putting atm.

13 minutes ago, blitzd808 said:

Main thing with Steve is the time and turnaround from what i understand. dont really want the car sitting there with no turbo for 6 months haha. 

My mechanic has been recommending a tomei as his in house tuner got 300kw out of a similar setup on those turbos but the $$ is a bit off putting atm.

Yeah the Tomei M8265 is great! however has been discontinued - I have a mate here in welly who has about 280kw on 98 and 320ish with e85. 

They have the smaller option available also which i am sure would be ok but you are rite the price is up there not much more for a EFR :o 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Inked said:

Yeah the Tomei M8265 is great! however has been discontinued - I have a mate here in welly who has about 280kw on 98 and 320ish with e85. 

They have the smaller option available also which i am sure would be ok but you are rite the price is up there not much more for a EFR :o 

To right! However, looking at stock locations and keeping a top mount (v7 sti). Just cant bring myself to hack up a bumper for the front mount. so hard to find parts for the BC5 these days.

1 hour ago, pl0x said:

If your not shooting for 300kw+, a 500x230x63 fmic can fit behind the bumper under the bumper bar. Still some hacking required, but can look factory from the outside.

Definitely something do-able, but there's still the added cost involved, plus the piping, twisted turbo set up etc which im keen to stay away from. Probably shooting myself in the foot but at this point anyway i'm trying to draw some firm lines around where i want the car to end up.