Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×

V5 STi ecu swap

MichaelJS

Hi, apologies if this has been covered but I'm well lost. 

Have bought a v5 Sti ecu to swap into my MY99 wrx hatch. I was lead to believe by the aussie wrx forums that this would swap in no worries, aside from having to swap two wires on the blue connector. 

The car runs and drives no worries after plugging it straight in, and swapping the pins over means it won't start. 

After this, the car will only boost to ~10psi and is now drinking fuel even worse than normal lol. 

Is there something I've missed? 

Markings on the board are A19-001 DS2 [N] 

• Admin

Please confirm - did you swap an STI ecu into a non-STI?

If yes, you need to change AFM and injectors as well at a minimum. You should also swap your turbo to the appropriately matched STI variant (likely a vf28) and run an STI intercooler.

You also need to make sure that the ECU you've swapped from was mapped for the same compression ratio as what you're swapping into as there are differences between some WRX and STI builds/years. E.g. some WRX were 9.0:1 yet the STI variant was 8.0:1 (or 8.5:1 - can't remember exact numbers but the point stands).

Someone else will be able to elaborate on this more than I can

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, RaKid said:

Please confirm - did you swap an STI ecu into a non-STI?

If yes, you need to change AFM and injectors as well at a minimum. You should also swap your turbo to the appropriately matched STI variant (likely a vf28) and run an STI intercooler.

You also need to make sure that the ECU you've swapped from was mapped for the same compression ratio as what you're swapping into as there are differences between some WRX and STI builds/years. E.g. some WRX were 9.0:1 yet the STI variant was 8.0:1 (or 8.5:1 - can't remember exact numbers but the point stands).

Someone else will be able to elaborate on this more than I can

I did. 

From the brief reading I did about it, 99-00 wrxs had the same injectors and afm as the equivalent stis, but I could very well be wrong. I didn't see anything about compression ratios

Not fussed about getting it working, got the thing off a mate for $50 so thought why not? 

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

That fuel should be good. 

I have also seen the afm being the same

in many threads.

i have the map for that so can compare.

i think the main difference might be the compression ration between the 207 and 205 engines and the sti being more aggressive in its setup. 

What turbo are u running?