Sign in to follow this  
WellsNZ

07 Legacy stereo dead

Hey team, 

Have an 07 Legacy with GX-204JH head unit. 

For a long time the display would not work, or would work intermittently but the sound still worked fine and I could navigate the menus on the wheel controls with no screen anyway. But a few days before lockdown, it all stopped, no display, no audio. 

Not really knowledgeable on this stuff, but I figured since I can't go anywhere I should see if I can fix it myself before we can actually go places again. 

Any advice on where I could start to narrow down the problem? Google tells me this was a common issue on these models but not much beyond that. 

Could try get some of the panels off and see if there is any viable damage on one of the pcb’s but I can't imagine much will be resolvable at home.

A replacement will probably run you about a hundred or you could use the chance to replace it with a aftermarket HU fascia.

Something like this might work for yours.

https://www.qualitycaraudio.co.nz/qca-sufa10-stereo-fascia-kit-for-subaru-legacy-outback-from-2003-to-2009-black-with-easy-payments-10221?search=Legacy&description=1

Cheers bro, I'll take it out and have a snoop around. If no luck I guess it's wait until after lockdown. 

Fortunately I can't drive anyway! 

• Like 1

I have a spare facelift unit in Auckland if you want to give it a try after the lock downs finished. Its out of a NZ new legacy, but should still work fine, at least to try.

Otherwise, for now, all you can do is check the fuses if its died completely, otherwise its multimeter out time 😛