Jack.c11

VF45 vs TDO4

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hey guys I have a tdo4hla in my subaru legacy 04 2L manual. I have a spare vf45 in perfect condition and going for a tune next week so was wondering if the vf45 is a better turbo than the tdo4.

Also would you guys choose a 3 inch hks hi flow downpipe or a subtech 2.5 catless downpipe. Not sure which one to put for the tune as well.

 

Thanks

Edited by Jack.c11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure which is actually better. They're both much better than the auto specific vf38.

For the downpipe I reckon you’ll be better off with a HKS one which should be 3inch the whole way. Is it catted? What have you got for the exhaust after the downpipe? The stock one or something 3inch?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

Not sure which is actually better. They're both much better than the auto specific vf38.

For the downpipe I reckon you’ll be better off with a HKS one which should be 3inch the whole way. Is it catted? What have you got for the exhaust after the downpipe? The stock one or something 3inch?

The hks has a hi flow cat. Im running a 3 inch all the way with hks es premium exhaust system. Midpipe is 1 resonator and then splits into a Y with 2 exhaust mufflers. Also is the vf45 a twin scroll? I dont know why but its hard to find information on it.

Edited by Jack.c11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jack.c11 said:

The hks has a hi flow cat. Im running a 3 inch all the way with hks es premium exhaust system. Midpipe is 1 resonator and then splits into a Y with 2 exhaust mufflers. Also is the vf45 a twin scroll? I dont know why but its hard to find information on it.

 

Probably still a better option than the subtech.

Yea the VF45 is twinscroll too. It's basically the same rough design to fit in the same spot, with the same exhaust components as the TD04 just with some minor differences as it is a different brand.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

 

Probably still a better option than the subtech.

Yea the VF45 is twinscroll too. It's basically the same rough design to fit in the same spot, with the same exhaust components as the TD04 just with some minor differences as it is a different brand.

so I put in the vf45 turbo and it seems to be free boosting. I cant adjust the gate actuator either since it doesnt allow me to. Before my tdo4 was limiting to 11psi. I'm getting a tune next week so will it be ok if i just drive safe till then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Jack.c11 said:

so I put in the vf45 turbo and it seems to be free boosting. I cant adjust the gate actuator either since it doesnt allow me to. Before my tdo4 was limiting to 11psi. I'm getting a tune next week so will it be ok if i just drive safe till then?

 

There will be something different with the way the wastegate vac lines are hooked up, worth checking over that before the tune. It should behave very similarly to the TD04 if hooked up correctly.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

 

There will be something different with the way the wastegate vac lines are hooked up, worth checking over that before the tune. It should behave very similarly to the TD04 if hooked up correctly.

I didn't clamp or zip tie that T nipple. Would that be a possibility?

118690785_612544196290433_7288926655943725179_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jack.c11 said:

I didn't clamp or zip tie that T nipple. Would that be a possibility?

 

 

You mean it is left open to atmosphere currently?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

 

You mean it is left open to atmosphere currently?

i took that pic before i installed it. A line is connected onto the T nipple. so it seemed ok but should i have maybe clamped it down like the other hoses on the sides? If theyre leaking would that be the cause to my issue? 

Edited by Jack.c11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jack.c11 said:

i took that pic before i installed it. A line is connected onto the T nipple. so it seemed ok but should i have maybe clamped it down like the other hoses on the sides?

 

Nah that should be fine short term. Where is that line going? Is transaction from the VF or swapped over from the TD04?

 

Are you installing a 3-port solenoid when you get the tune done?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

 

Nah that should be fine short term. Where is that line going? Is transaction from the VF or swapped over from the TD04?

 

Are you installing a 3-port solenoid when you get the tune done?

My tuner said hes putting on an electronic boost solenoid linked to the ecu. To be honest no idea where that line goes but im pretty sure it goes to the bov. It was previously connected to my tdo4 and has had no issues. The vf45 came with the hoses in the picture other than that I didnt change a thing on the car only the turbos so i reused all the other hoses and clamps etc

Edited by Jack.c11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sweet, that’ll be a 3-port then, almost all of the factory plumbing gets ditched when you do that. 

Shouldn't be going to the BPV. Should go forwards under the manifold with the turbo inlet pipe to the factory solenoid, and then from there to a port on that inlet pipe. 

 

Hard to say why it's boosting differently without seeing how it's plumbed up after that tee. How high is it actually boosting?

Could just be a restrictor pill in a line somewhere that isn't right for the new turbo but seems unlikely. Since it all gets ditched I wouldn't worry too much and just try keep boost down and check everything is tight in the mean time

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

Sweet, that’ll be a 3-port then, almost all of the factory plumbing gets ditched when you do that. 

Shouldn't be going to the BPV. Should go forwards under the manifold with the turbo inlet pipe to the factory solenoid, and then from there to a port on that inlet pipe. 

 

Hard to say why it's boosting differently without seeing how it's plumbed up after that tee. How high is it actually boosting?

Could just be a restrictor pill in a line somewhere that isn't right for the new turbo but seems unlikely. Since it all gets ditched I wouldn't worry too much and just try keep boost down and check everything is tight in the mean time

 

Yea the line goes under the manifold then cant see after that. The first few boost i did with the vf45 it restricted it to 11psi like the tdo4 which is normal boost pressure. It went to about 14-15psi from 3 separate pulls then i just kept my boost low after that. Because the gate actuator isnt adjustable like my tdo4 maybe the actuator just set to a higher boost level from stock?

 

I'm thinking of using the restrictor pill from the tdo4 on the vf tomorrow so maybe it'll fix it. Otherwise if it doesnt fix I can just drive safely till my tune should be fine? And afterwards the 3-port would fix the issue as hes setting a new boost level anyways?

Edited by Jack.c11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14-15psi is about normal for those so wouldn't be worried. If you had the TD04 one set open slightly it would slow it building boost which may have meant you missed the quick boost peak they usually have. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

14-15psi is about normal for those so wouldn't be worried. If you had the TD04 one set open slightly it would slow it building boost which may have meant you missed the quick boost peak they usually have. 

Oh I see thanks so much so end of the day the tune should fix the issue? Just dont think its good that it boosts 14-15psi without a proper tune.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jack.c11 said:

Oh I see thanks so much so end of the day the tune should fix the issue? Just dont think its good that it boosts 14-15psi without a proper tune.

 

Yea getting a 3-port will remove all existing plumbing and allow the tuner to dial it in however he wants.

Around 14 is what the facelifts with this turbo are tuned for from the factory so it isn't excessive, if anything your original one was making alot less boost than it should have on the factory tune.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

 

Yea getting a 3-port will remove all existing plumbing and allow the tuner to dial it in however he wants.

Around 14 is what the facelifts with this turbo are tuned for from the factory so it isn't excessive, if anything your original one was making alot less boost than it should have on the factory tune.

Hi sorry for asking so much questions. So I've checked all the lines and hoses and they're all fitted correctly. My tuner told me to do a gate pressure test before tuning just to make sure my wastegate functions properly. Have you ever done one of these? if so would I need to remove the turbo or can I test it while its in my car :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Jack.c11 said:

Hi sorry for asking so much questions. So I've checked all the lines and hoses and they're all fitted correctly. My tuner told me to do a gate pressure test before tuning just to make sure my wastegate functions properly. Have you ever done one of these? if so would I need to remove the turbo or can I test it while its in my car :)

 

I assume he just wants you to just run a line straight from the comp cover port to the wastegate port to check it opens properly to hold 7ish psi. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/09/2020 at 8:32 PM, Andy_Mac said:

 

I assume he just wants you to just run a line straight from the comp cover port to the wastegate port to check it opens properly to hold 7ish psi. 

i just switched to eco mode and it held 8psi perfectly so i guess my wastegate is functioning properly. Thanks for all your help 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys, while your in the topic of Legacy turbo types... Can anyone identify this one in my 08 GT (auto) has nothing on the name plate area that i can see, but i can see a large N on front and f5 22 on the rear of housing? Is it a Vf45 also? 

PSX_20200905_111446.jpg

Another shot of rear

PSX_20200905_111758.jpg

Edited by calibre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try shine something brighter on that nameplate on the comp cover. It can be super hard to read at an angle like that sometimes. It looks like there might be some very light indentations on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

Try shine something brighter on that nameplate on the comp cover. It can be super hard to read at an angle like that sometimes. It looks like there might be some very light indentations on it.

Don't think so dude, this one is with camera pretty much directly in front of it

PSX_20200905_112934.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, calibre said:

Don't think so dude, this one is with camera pretty much directly in front of it

 

You'll be surprised at how hard those digits are to read when dirty and unless straight on. This is what mine looked like

 

59E134F4-0410-40B9-AF55-188DE608A946_zpsiyp0jotl

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.