Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Impreza GF - Scrap to Track Build.

Not_Sean

Figured I should start a proper thread on this for entertainment/Education. 

So Background, I have competed in a few different motorsports and currently loving the Lemons (Now Nazcar) series. I've got my own team and Car we Race in it, But knowing how amazing it is I wanted to get friends involved and the Perfect car popped up for it. As I'm sure you guessed its a GF wagon, Factory Manual, AWD 1.5L Engine. Interior is in amazing condition while the exterior is what you expect, Also someone threw a rock through the rear window so thats on the Parts replacment list

It was used as a paddock car as due to some chassis crease it can't pass a WOF, I've had a look underneath and the thing drives damn well. and at the price it was offered for its become the perfect car for my Friends to learn a lot more on cars but also gave a go at Racing! 

Pics from the day I collected it. 

130190111_2882009178791283_854341328065356387_n.jpg

130227399_2882009128791288_462146453758256154_n.jpg

So Hopefully work begins this weekend stripping it out and getting it ready for the Cage and other bits, We are going to be keeping everything as stock as possible But will look at upgrades like brake calipers, Radiators and hell even a bigger engine if its Cheap enough and just Bolts right in as the whole point of this is reliability and Fun. 

Edited by Not_Sean
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...

Soooooooo Update time :P 

Its been slow going as been flat out building Motorsports Wiring looms, and finishing my Personal car. 

But We stripped it all out... 

IMG_3361.JPEG.c6eb962b15fadce53ddacc227465bcf4.JPEGIMG_3362.JPEG.796dced7952fb5c16a8a73bc0f517969.JPEG

Much Better.
IMG_3369.JPEG.d0f977a14b8aa08af91d486881439c95.JPEG

Also For all those Wondering. The entire Interior from a GF3 Excluding Seats fits inside a RS4 Avant. Who would have thought it. 

IMG_3370.JPEG.977944ea057c44998240506929f2f7c1.JPEG

Who can resist Fitting the Seat and making some engine noises. 

IMG_3366.JPEG.1e2d6552777037f6065738c65d5d080f.JPEG

IMG_3367.JPEG.0c57b1c2681202ffb163fda5f19bd88c.JPEG

Also Finally Got it off the Steelies, 

Got these nice 15" Rims for a happy $100. 
IMG_5029.jpeg.219e4ac8c47c36e9c9f9410ed1dcd273.jpeg

The Budget Rally car continues. 

This weekend, Weld in a Harness bar and the Harness plates in the floor. 

Still focusing on doing the absolute bear minimum to just go out and enjoy the car. 

• 1 month later...

So None of those Pics seems to work, Will relook at sorting it all out, Here's one that hopefully works. 

So We Invested a whole $200 into a $200 Car, and well its now got New Oil, New Sparks, New Filter, and A Tiny little New Battery. 

Was also able to score some sweet Rims off someone at a Rally when the person didn't pitch up to collect them. so another $100 there but they'll replace the Steelies on the car currently. 

In really Fun news. The Car is going down to Hawks bay this Weekend for a Grasskhana Event. So some life left in the old Girl. Will get some Pics hopefully.

will spend Saturday giving it a once over, and Hopefully try figure out why she chokes a bit when going from idle to flooring it, like is super hesitant for a few seconds then rev's up nicely. 

IMG_5143.jpeg

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

So Two Big Updates. 

First one, We got the Car out to the Hawks bay GrassKhana and Autocross event, 

We did some minimal prep on the car, New battery (Tiny MotoBatt) new oil, filter and sparks. and was lucky enough to get some Gold 15" Rims for a great price. 
IMG-7345.jpgIMG-7352.jpgIMG-7396.jpgIMG-7407.jpg
An amazing day was had, although we had a big issue with Cylinder 3 Spark plug lead constantly popping off and the Cars mid range power just not being great especially when you shift to 3rd. (More on that later! 

After days like that So happy it got saved from the Wreckers! 

• Like 2

Then cam this weekend, and with me competing in NZRC I really don't have a lot of my own time for fun and the car has been sitting for a long time. 

But as with all good things! it finally happened! I entered the car into a round of the Central Region Sprint Series, it was a bit of a nice event for me as this road was where my entire rally career started two years previously. even found some 2nd hand rally tires! 
IMG-1190.jpg

Well the car needed some things done, the first was both front CV boots were Bluetooth, the exhaust was lacking and the Handbrake not great for Rallying, and a Aircon that was next to useless and only restricted air into the Radiator. So a big day smashing out all of the Mechanical to do's. Wasn't able to track down a new lead for Spark plug 3. 
IMG-1237.jpgIMG-1242.jpgIMG-1233.jpg

There was also the fact that the car really did not look the part, but we are also on a massive budget, but decided to do the best we ca, so we broke out the Rattle can and the vinyl I had stored away. 
IMG-1246.jpgIMG-1248.jpgIMG-1257.jpgIMG-1259.jpgIMG-1262.jpgIMG-1263.jpg

She did look the Part come Race Day, Well to me at least, Something to break up every single subaru running a 555 variation. 
IMG-1269.jpg

Honestly an amazing Day, Except for the Massive engine pulling problems. 

Now this I'm really someone might know what the hell is going on, New Sparks, all leads are fine and when clutch is in, car rev's all the way, But under load there seems to be NOTHING between 2k & 4K I ended up being unable to shift into 3rd at all as the rev's would just sit and the speed slowly drop, there was a few times I got 3rd at 4K+ rpm and It pulled nicely! 

Anyone heard of this before? I was worried it was just the car and 1600cc of Very old engine not able to handle the foot flat moments but seems to be starving of something under heavy load? 
IMG-1276.jpg

Edited by Not_Sean
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...

So a Little update on this, We did the fuel pump and what not and still having the same issue, Thinking of Changing to a 2.0L engine.

The issue, What engine (SOHC) would be a straight swap, Happy to have to do a bit of fiddling or what but ideally want something as close to plug and play as possible.

What NZ cars have a EJ203 as that seems to be a option?

Next question, Anyone got some engines laying around?