Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Intercooling

What would be the better setup to run in my gen 1? I like the idea of the water intercooler cause i like least lag possible. Would it be worth while getting a bigger radiator for the water cooler or upgrade to a bling looking front mount? To me if i can get the water cool enough it would be better than a front mount plus more stealth

haha i'v argued it with a couple of mechanics with mixed answers but since my pump is f**ked too i shud just get a front mount and chuck a td05 on so shud feel better

Your water to air unit is good for around 200kw. My wagon has a TD05, 440 injectors and a chipped ECU running 17psi and even after a long hard run the top intercooler is still cold. The last dyno run I had was 186kw at the wheels. I'll be hanging on to the WAIC for as long as possible. Get your pump sorted and leave it at that.

D-Style said:

Ive wonder this:

Would somthing like an Earls 18-row oil type cooler work better than the factory WAIC cooler?

if u have near maxed out what the stockunit could do then yea

my old gtir and TT rs had topmounts and they used 2 get rather warm while driving around, the waic tank is always cold on my car

THUNDA said:

water to air is better, fmic sucks because piping is too long it creates lag, if you wanna change to air to air get a wrx sti topmount, nuff said

Except for the fact that the scoop on the RS is not going to get anywhere near enough airflow to sufficiently cool an STI topmount. I never noticed any extra real lag when switching to FMIC and re-tuning the boost control in my car.

Koom said:

Except for the fact that the scoop on the RS is not going to get anywhere near enough airflow to sufficiently cool an STI topmount. I never noticed any extra real lag when switching to FMIC and re-tuning the boost control in my car.

You may notice a bit of lag with your recent modification ;D

BC5RA']

[quote name='Koom said:

/quote]

You may notice a bit of lag with your recent modification ;D

Dunno about any extra lag, but the boost threshold is definately higher ;)

THUNDA said:

mine was fine when i had a ver2 topmount on my bc5, i just removed the air syphon that directs the air into the turbo heat shield, but yeah obviously bigger scoop = more air

How do you know it was fine? Did you measure Inlet Temps? Before and after the cooler with comparisions against the original water to air unit? Or are you just guessing?

You know that the hole in the bonnet of a BC5 is just a vent right? i.e. not designed as a scoop.

I found a ver 4 tmic exit temps over 50C in the summer - that was about 180kw atw with a vf24.

So a ver 2 tmic gotta be worse.

I have heard of tests being done with GC8 scoops - at a certain speed they start to reverse flow. And they are quite big vs the legacy scoop.

Koom said:

How do you know it was fine? Did you measure Inlet Temps? Before and after the cooler with comparisions against the original water to air unit? Or are you just guessing?

You know that the hole in the bonnet of a BC5 is just a vent right? i.e. not designed as a scoop.

It was fine i.e it didnt cause any problems, car didnt run hotter or slower, infact it felt slightly more responsive at night time, but who knows maybe it didnt, but im sure you'd know

as i said im all for the water-air intercoolers - i.m.o the car was designed to use it from the manufaturer, so its very like to be the best option for the original poster.

Ok i'll find a pump and when i can afford it i'll get a larger radiator made to cool the water better. And since the scoop dont do much i'll get a facelift wrx scoop and reverse it ;D

IMO it comes down to heat soak and a application of science., there was talk of ammonia two phase system’s that where getting looked at and played with

iv dabbled in it a little but the same result as the rest of everyone iv talked about it with, amount of power needed for the pump made it not very viable due to the pressures involved compared to the 28watts low 50watts hi on normal WAIC’s in Subaru’s, I wouldn’t mind looking back into though

keltik said:

And how much power was needed in the ammonia setup?

It was pulling 6kw from the motor from memory at about 3200rpm (don’t know what that is in watts) so yea kind of primitive setup just looked at the idea because it was awesome, going to look at it more now that it’s been refreshed in my mind, hopefully things have ironed out over the past 5 years when I was told about it I really like it

EGOREX said:

6kw from the motor from memory at about 3200rpm (don’t know what that is in watts)

Umm 6000?

So essentially its the same idea often joked about using the air con system to chill down the intercooler